Author Topic: new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards  (Read 101758 times)

Offline jterp7

• good typing
Re: new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards
« Reply #450 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:21:18 »
well either that or the FS section will be flooded with PING sales. I figure I'll bring one to work if its a big problem.

Thanks to massdrop that's 2 clear boards and $300 on mech kb's total

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #451 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:29:34 »
When I bought two TKL CODE keyboards, one for me and one for my brother, I paid around 60€ of import duty & taxes (VAT / duty fees / shipping company fees) here in France.

Are you noticing any ping on the TKL CODE? I just ordered one myself, and while the ping is a concern, it seems to largely be limited to the full-size boards. Even then, after watching the video demonstrating the issue, I don't think it's going to be enough to bother me.

Yeap I can hear some ping quite loudly from a few keys but it doesn't bother me so much.

I'll try to make a video soon tm

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #452 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:47:42 »

Yeap I can hear some ping quite loudly from a few keys but it doesn't bother me so much.

Thanks for your feedback, and I look forward to seeing your video. I've watched the one that's been posted here a number of times, and it's honestly not going to bother me that much. I don't plan to use it with the legs up, which should mitigate some of the noise, and I'm hoping to further reduce it by installing some o-rings, which I was going to do regardless. Besides, I don't spend my days rasping at the keys like a cat pawing at a ball of yarn, so I think I'll be fine. The potential noise from the stabilizers will actually bug me more, which is something that's easily remedied.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #453 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 07:25:41 »

Thanks for your feedback, and I look forward to seeing your video. I've watched the one that's been posted here a number of times, and it's honestly not going to bother me that much. I don't plan to use it with the legs up, which should mitigate some of the noise, and I'm hoping to further reduce it by installing some o-rings, which I was going to do regardless. Besides, I don't spend my days rasping at the keys like a cat pawing at a ball of yarn, so I think I'll be fine. The potential noise from the stabilizers will actually bug me more, which is something that's easily remedied.

I know that you've already ordered your keyboard but here it is :

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #454 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 08:30:22 »
Thanks for the video. I'll have to see how mine is when it gets here, how bad it is, and on what keys.

Offline Andy_Nixeus

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Nixeus Tech, Inc.
« Reply #455 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:51:25 »
this is pretty interesting indeed. :thumb:
I am here to help. So let me help ! =D

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #456 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:43:28 »
UPS came by about an hour ago and dropped off the CODE, and 30 minutes after that I've written an email to WASD asking for an RMA. The ping was much worse that I anticipated, and not even a couple o-rings made it better. The arrow keys were the worst, along with several in the top row. There is no way I could keep this thing without it driving me absolutely bonkers.

I did manage to find the cheap-o PLU MX Red keyboard I bought a while back, so that's what I'm typing on for now until I can figure out my next step. Hopefully WASD will approve the RMA without difficulty, and I've got a message in to another member here who is (hopefully) still selling his Ducky Shine 3 with Browns.

This is so disappointing, as the CODE had pretty much everything I wanted in a backlit TKL board.  :(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #457 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:38:19 »
I don't know whether or not the ping has lessened, or whether or not I've just grown accustomed to it, but it's much less annoying than it used to be.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #458 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 16:14:52 »
I have 2 codes, a filco, race, poker, pure pro. Ping in the codes is nothing compared to pure, and only marginally worse than filco.
You're either imagining it or got a fault board, or their quality dropped since the second run?

Offline D01

« Reply #459 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 21:05:26 »
I have two Codes as well, and two V2's with browns.  Ping level goes like this, Code 104 > V2 104 > Code 87 > V2 87.  No one told me before hand that ping might be an issue, probably why none of them bother me.  Anything other than a completely silence I never hear it.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #460 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 09:32:34 »
I gave it a couple days, but I'm still going to return the CODE. A growing dislike of the heavier MX clear switches ultimately overrode the ping annoyance. I prefer the lighter feel of the browns on my Filco MJ2 for typing and gaming. Everything else about the CODE is great, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone, particularly Mac users who want a keyboard that feels like it was designed with them in mind.

I managed to track down a Ducky Shine 3 TKL with brown switches and white LEDs. It has the same ability as the CODE to swap the position of the ALT and Windows/Command keys via dip switch, making it OS X friendly while still fully usable for Windows (which I have installed through Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro).

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #461 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 05:45:36 »
THE SUMMER OF PING!!!1!!1

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #462 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 06:09:59 »
was thinking of getting a code but chose not to because there was no ISO layout available, now that i see this pinging issues im happy i went for a v2 :)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #463 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 12:36:18 »
was thinking of getting a code but chose not to because there was no ISO layout available, now that i see this pinging issues im happy i went for a v2 :)

the pinging issue isn't limited to the Code. it would also affect a WASD v2 with MX Clears.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline dante

« Reply #464 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:48:12 »
I had a Deck Legend and it was the most pingy MX Clear board I've ever owned.  From the Capslock to the Enter on Numpad - the whole thing sounded like a Church instrument.  Conversely my Keycool w/ Clears is the most silent of all Clear boards.

Offline divito

« Reply #465 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 12:55:31 »
I know that you've already ordered your keyboard but here it is :

Not sure what this is showing other than hitting keys off-center and getting a ping noise.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #466 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 05:29:03 »
Yeah, like divito, I am not see/hearing anything from the video too. What exactly are we looking at? That sounds completely normal to me.

Offline pcandkbguy

« Reply #467 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:16:50 »
kind of getting bored of the costar tkl cases

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #468 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 10:08:27 »
There's always this monstrosity:

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #469 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 19:39:05 »
Yeah, like divito, I am not see/hearing anything from the video too. What exactly are we looking at? That sounds completely normal to me.

the pinging is really, though it seems to differ depending on the part of the keyboard typed on. Is anyone else's backlight uneven?

Just the top row alone q e i and p are darker than the rest.

Offline D01

« Reply #470 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 20:39:56 »
The back lighting level is fine on the ones I have.  I did get one where a couple keys were rather green.  WASD promptly sent me a shipping label and replaced the ones that I didn't like no questions asked.  Send em an email.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #471 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 12:39:34 »
I just got my white led CODE keyboard with MX clears from the MassDrop deal.  I find that the lighting is very bright and consistent across the entire board. 

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #472 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 12:50:07 »
The back lighting level is fine on the ones I have.  I did get one where a couple keys were rather green.  WASD promptly sent me a shipping label and replaced the ones that I didn't like no questions asked.  Send em an email.

Yeah they told me to go through massdrop. Not a good first impression really.

Offline osi

« Reply #473 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 13:01:14 »
There's always this monstrosity:

Show Image

kill it with fire

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #474 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 14:29:25 »

I would question that as well. WASD is basically the "manufacturer" of this keyboard and as such, they should be the ones to support it. That's like Logitech telling you to ask Newegg for a replacement mouse when it breaks under warranty.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #475 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 14:41:03 »

I would question that as well. WASD is basically the "manufacturer" of this keyboard and as such, they should be the ones to support it. That's like Logitech telling you to ask Newegg for a replacement mouse when it breaks under warranty.
Well, that's how it actually works in Europe, as required by law. ~_^

Offline D01

« Reply #476 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 09:12:00 »

That's how things are supposed to work.  If there's an issue you contact the retailer you purchased the item from.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #477 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 09:17:29 »
massdrop still hasn't responded, while I've had several emails with wasd from yesterday. I'd pull my order for the poke 2 if I could, am will try to if this is not resolved soon.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #478 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 09:20:44 »
on the technical issue where this stems from, wasd stated that its not the keycaps but the led on the switch causing the greenness issue. Does that sound right?

I pulled the stabilizer from my left shift key and noted that its not arched like the ones in wasd's youtube videos, but instead is a flat C...really the easiest way to describe. They also told me to lube the stabilizers...but why isn't this qc'd before shipping out. Seems strange that customers need to lube a brand new keyboard.

Offline D01

« Reply #479 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 09:30:36 »
on the technical issue where this stems from, wasd stated that its not the keycaps but the led on the switch causing the greenness issue. Does that sound right?

I pulled the stabilizer from my left shift key and noted that its not arched like the ones in wasd's youtube videos, but instead is a flat C...really the easiest way to describe. They also told me to lube the stabilizers...but why isn't this qc'd before shipping out. Seems strange that customers need to lube a brand new keyboard.

Yes.

On the Code the switches are flipped compared to the V2, which I'm guessing is whats on the video, so a stabilizer wire with a bend can't be used.  Hence they are straight on the Code's.  For whatever reason they only lube the space bar on the Code.  Both V2's I have where lubed on all keys with a stab.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #480 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 09:43:24 »
D01, your opinion on the keycap vs switch led?

when I lifted the q, the led seemed perfectly white to me so I believe its a keycap issue, not sure why wasd would tell me that its the led.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #481 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 09:54:45 »

That's how things are supposed to work.  If there's an issue you contact the retailer you purchased the item from.

Only within the retailer's return policy window. If you buy a mouse from Best Buy and it breaks after 30 days, you have to contact the manufacturer. Massdrop is not a retailer, however. For lack of a better word, it's essentially a drop-shipper that's open to the public.

WASD is the one who needs to stand behind the product.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #482 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 10:00:38 »
that is true, but it doesn't explain why massdrop has not responded in any way

massdrop should be the facilitator between the customer and wasd as they are the retailer in this case.

On another note, why is wasd keyboards no longer in the vendor forum?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #483 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 10:03:54 »

Though this thread isn't about wasd, same reasoning

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57664.0

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #484 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 10:05:36 »

Because when the mods/admins cleaned up the vendor section (and created the artisan section), WASD had basically abandoned their forum. Any vendor who was no longer actively posting on Geekhack had their forum archived.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #485 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 10:08:26 »
that is true, but it doesn't explain why massdrop has not responded in any way

massdrop should be the facilitator between the customer and wasd as they are the retailer in this case.

While I don't excuse a complete lack of response from Massdrop, they are still ultimately not the ones who should be responsible for handling a defective product. The simplest solution is for WASD to own up and deal with the situation.

For reference, I had ordered my CODE directly from WASD. The order was processed promptly, and they had no problem issuing me an RMA when I decided to return it. They refunded my money within 90 minutes of my receiving notification that the package had been delivered to their warehouse. Just because a person wants to save a few bucks by ordering from Massdrop does not give WASD the right to treat them like second-class citizens.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #486 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 10:27:37 »
I can't believe that I have to go through amex to get a simple resolution with this. Cheapest for wasd is swapping of the keys vs replacing a whole board. But from my conversations with them they will only help IF massdrop continues to stay silent. I suppose massdrop probably thinks if they ignore me I'll just let it go and keep the "deal". The funny thing is massdrop admins are plenty excited during the sale phase and respond/post in the thread, but after they have your money and the product is shipped out, they stop responding completely.

Offline D01

« Reply #487 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 10:32:53 »
D01, your opinion on the keycap vs switch led?

when I lifted the q, the led seemed perfectly white to me so I believe its a keycap issue, not sure why wasd would tell me that its the led.

With the one I had it was the led for sure.  My first thought was that it might be the key cap making things look green.  I had three switches that with the cap removed looked greenish compared to the others.

I have to say that the difference was very slight but noticeable.  WASD could of very well said "within manufacturing tolerances" and been done with it.  If you do have a genuine issue, not saying you don't, I'll be surprised if they don't help you out.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #488 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 10:53:05 »
Lets put it this way. My wife, who's not as picky could clearly see that the w was true white and asked why the q and the e were so much darker. It also would not surprise me that massdrop got a bunch of the rma returns. I also searched here on the classified and there's a few code's pictured where you can see at least the q isn't quite lit correctly.

I hope I didn't just have an unfortunate revelation about the massdrop business model...and how they're "saving" consumers money by buying return/refurbs from mfgs in bulk
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:02:06 by jterp7 »

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #489 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:55:49 »
I hope I didn't just have an unfortunate revelation about the massdrop business model...and how they're "saving" consumers money by buying return/refurbs from mfgs in bulk

yeah this isn't very cool. I just signed up to Massdrop so I could get those Vortex PBT caps. I really hope that they're not selling return or refurb units. I'll be keeping my eyes open for more experiences like this and being very cautious about Massdrop in future.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #490 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 12:58:48 »

Now that's the ultimate troll model right there.

Offline megalomartx

« Reply #491 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 13:42:26 »
Does anyone have issues with their keys getting stuck that are on stabilizers?  I bought 2 keyboards in MX Green last month and they both had issues with the delete and shift button getting stuck on the sides.  This happens after removing the included O-rings, but one of the boards gets stuck regardless of the O-ring or not. 

Here's a vid of it happening on both keyboards: 

I really liked the design, but had to return both (bought from Amazon) and now kind of apprehensive to get another board from WASD.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #492 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 13:52:40 »
Does anyone have issues with their keys getting stuck that are on stabilizers?  I bought 2 keyboards in MX Green last month and they both had issues with the delete and shift button getting stuck on the sides.  This happens after removing the included O-rings, but one of the boards gets stuck regardless of the O-ring or not. 

I really liked the design, but had to return both (bought from Amazon) and now kind of apprehensive to get another board from WASD.

I've not had a problem with mine. I bought a Cherry MX Clear CODE, but I bought directly from WASD

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #493 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 16:21:38 »

Yeah the left shift sticks which is really notiecable in SC2. I ended up using no stab and its been better for me that way. I feel like this shouldve been caught during qc.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #494 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 16:25:46 »
Also, for those interested Massdrop still has yet to respond.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #495 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 16:43:01 »

Keep us posted. If they still don't respond, I'm going to cancel the order I have with them and do no further business.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #496 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 17:13:16 »

Keep us posted. If they still don't respond, I'm going to cancel the order I have with them and do no further business.

I just cancelled my order for the Vortex PBT keycaps, and instead have bought some of those nice Leopold keycaps from widebasket on eBay.

Not gonna deal with Massdrop under these circumstances. It seems pretty clear that they're selling refurb/return units

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #497 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 21:25:47 »
the 2 keyboards I got from Massdrop are perfect.  The CODE MX clear, Noppoo M2 MX blue are excellent.  I've got the poker 2 on the way.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #498 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 10:49:19 »
SpecTP you should buy some lotto tickets :)

They just responded this morning lol. Not surprising since I filed my claim with amex.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #499 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 08:42:11 »
SpecTP you should buy some lotto tickets :)

They just responded this morning lol. Not surprising since I filed my claim with amex.

well I spoke too soon.. I went back to the CODE last night and used it for a few more hours in a quiet time and I can definitely hear the 'ping' sound after every key press.  It doesn't bother me since my pc sounds/background music are louder.. but I can see where some folks might get annoyed by it.