Author Topic: Need to fix a blue cherry.  (Read 10334 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Need to fix a blue cherry.
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 12:38:28 »
Quote from: alpslover;12102
if it will make you feel any better, my realforce which costs more than twice as much has poor shell alignment and the printing on the keycaps have glaringly obvious font inconsistencies.  i've seen $5 keyboards with higher quality looking keys.

I have to say that as far as build quality goes, I have seen no keyboard that compares to the Filco 'boards I've seen in person (and I owned a Filco "mini" at one point).  They are the gold standard for fit and finish as far as I'm concerned.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 12:38:35 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;12106
Das keycaps on a Scorpius M10?

buy both, swap the keys, and they wont notice? ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 12:57:09 »
Quote from: iMav;12108
I have to say that as far as build quality goes, I have seen no keyboard that compares to the Filco 'boards I've seen in person (and I owned a Filco "mini" at one point).  They are the gold standard for fit and finish as far as I'm concerned.

I would like to check out a Filco 'board if only to see its build quality and materials.  I know that of the keyboards I own, the Northgate is top notch in quality construction with very little silkscreen, mostly steel, and two-color plastic molded keycaps (the keycaps are an engineering marvel).  The Model Ms are very well constructed, and so is my MS Natural 4000 (other than the matte finish smoothing out on the keycaps, but the silkscreening on the keys have not shown any signs of wearing off; it's a shame this is a rubber dome 'board as I really like it otherwise).

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 13:10:07 »
This puts me off getting a Filco. I want to be able to take it apart easily if I ever need to replace the switches.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 14:11:33 »
Of course, they would've done that to reduce production costs... screws take a lot of time to screw in when you're mass producing something.

Also, I'm typing this post on my Unicomp board... it seems a fair bit quieter than my 1391401.

I think I'm going to get my hands on a Das, just to see what the hype is about... and Micro Center's got some other deals I'm interested in, so...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 14:13:29 »

Also, I'm typing this post on my Unicomp board... it seems a fair bit quieter than my 1391401.

with the endurapro i used to have though I felt the bottoming out clack was much louder than on the original M boards... but you're right that the springs were quieter (thinner? the key action was lighter).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 14:15:23 »
Quote from: lam47;12105
Oh yeah. Sigh. I will keep looking then.

the other thing I didnt like about the das was how easily it scratched. The black piano finish was almost impossible to keep scratch free.

The M10 doesnt have that problem with a hard matte finish (but of course its also not as pretty).

I'm still totally in love with the M10 by the way. Such a pleasure to type on compared with my previous best membrane board.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 14:15:25 »
Well, there's an answer to that problem. ;) (The bottoming out noise, that is.)

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 14:23:59 »
Quote from: wellington1869;12121
The black piano finish was almost impossible to keep scratch free.

How is the piano finish done? Is it paint or perspex/acrylic glass?

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 14:25:41 »
Quote from: lowpoly;12128
How is the piano finish done? Is it paint or perspex/acrylic glass?

I'm not a 100% sure, but it didnt feel like paint. I think it was some kind of plastic. Maybe lam can tell.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 14:26:16 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;12122
Well, there's an answer to that problem. ;) (The bottoming out noise, that is.)

:) I suppose. Old habits are hard to break though.

do you find the key action is lighter on the unicomp (as compared to the 139)?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 14:31:51 »
The key action is definitely lighter, although it's somewhat uneven on mine. Left Alt barely even clicks, and is EXTREMELY light. (Hmm, they could make a board full of those springs, and sell it as a light-touch work-safe version. :p)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 14:48:20 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;12132
The key action is definitely lighter, although it's somewhat uneven on mine. Left Alt barely even clicks, and is EXTREMELY light. (Hmm, they could make a board full of those springs, and sell it as a light-touch work-safe version. :p)

when I buy my unicomp (which eventually I will for the shorter spacebar)) I think i'll swap both keycaps and springs from the 139 onto it. Both feel more substantive to me on the 139.

Offline lam47

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 16:14:43 »
Quote from: wellington1869;12129
I'm not a 100% sure, but it didnt feel like paint. I think it was some kind of plastic. Maybe lam can tell.

Yeah its just plastic. You could use a plastic polish (like tcut but made for plastics) Its a soft plastic which is why it scratches so easy. Its not quite the quality of the plastic on say a PS3.

I have decided there are just too many problems to make it worth while in any way.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3