Author Topic: tp4tissue Prophet. Messenger. Renaissance man. The Ultimate Ambassador  (Read 7578 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Re: tp4tissue Prophet. Messenger. Renaissance man. The Ultimate Ambassador
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 17:10:51 »
HE SHOULD JUST USE WINDOWS 98. THEN HE WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN BANNED.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 17:18:50 »
FREE TP FROM BANNED CAMP. HE DID NOTHING WRONG THE ADMINS ARE HATERS.

THIS

Are you offering to swap places with him?

yes lets change it. ban the brony. at least tp is funny.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 17:20:42 »

THIS

yes lets change it. ban the brony. at least tp is funny.

woah

We get it already....
you hate me...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 17:21:08 »
YOU SHOULD JUST USE WINDOWS 98. THEN NOBODY WILL HATE YOU EXCEPT FOR ENVIOUS MAC USERS.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline turtle

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 17:39:19 »
Next up Microsoft windows gets banned. Nothing but trolls gh. Find better use of your time kid.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 17:39:52 »
Next up Microsoft windows gets banned. Nothing but trolls gh. Find better use of your time kid.

Respect yer elders!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline turtle

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 18:07:14 »
Sorry, didn't know you were his number one fan.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 19:59:12 »

THIS

Or to join him?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 20:05:55 »
Yea this whole thread is fap material for TP4. He's probably already changed his underpants multiple times today reading it.

He did.  As he does most everyday.  But due to sharts, not faps.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 20:31:19 »
Yea this whole thread is fap material for TP4. He's probably already changed his underpants multiple times today reading it.

Can't it be both?
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 20:35:48 »

Can't it be both?

lol.  I guess.  Both at the same time?  Wow.  tp4 has at least one hidden talent then:  the 'ol fap 'n shart.

Offline mauri

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 03:35:36 »

Can't it be both?

lol.  I guess.  Both at the same time?  Wow.  tp4 has at least one hidden talent then:  the 'ol fap 'n shart.

Do I hear envy in your voice?
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 10:16:08 »
Furthermore, tp4 adds nothing to any thread with any of his posts.  And the threads he starts have nothing to do with keyboards.  His only attempt to communicate something close to an idea regarding keyboards is "get an ergodox".  Which while appearing to be a comment, is actually a form of griefing in itself because:  (1) getting an ergodox is not easy because it is a totally custom keyboard, (2) getting an ergodox is totally inappropriate advice to give to a nub, and (3) getting an ergodox is extremely expensive.  Plus, it's hypocritical advice, since tp4 doesn't actually have an ergodox himself.

1) Totally custom keyboard == not easy? I fail to see how you reached that conclusion rationally
2) How is it inappropriate advice for a "nub"? The appropriate advice for a nub would depend on what that person wants, and if they want a custom ergonomic keyboard and have soldering experience, then the ErgoDox is a perfectly acceptable suggestion
3) Not "extremely". It's more expensive than a Filco, but less than a HHKB or Topre (at least for US customers, which is quite a bit)

And I'm curious why you think he doesn't own one?

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:22:06 »
Furthermore, tp4 adds nothing to any thread with any of his posts.  And the threads he starts have nothing to do with keyboards.  His only attempt to communicate something close to an idea regarding keyboards is "get an ergodox".  Which while appearing to be a comment, is actually a form of griefing in itself because:  (1) getting an ergodox is not easy because it is a totally custom keyboard, (2) getting an ergodox is totally inappropriate advice to give to a nub, and (3) getting an ergodox is extremely expensive.  Plus, it's hypocritical advice, since tp4 doesn't actually have an ergodox himself.

1) Totally custom keyboard == not easy? I fail to see how you reached that conclusion rationally
2) How is it inappropriate advice for a "nub"? The appropriate advice for a nub would depend on what that person wants, and if they want a custom ergonomic keyboard and have soldering experience, then the ErgoDox is a perfectly acceptable suggestion
3) Not "extremely". It's more expensive than a Filco, but less than a HHKB or Topre (at least for US customers, which is quite a bit)

And I'm curious why you think he doesn't own one?

Hmm, I guess my post makes it sounds like I'm anti-ergodox, which I'm not.  Let me be clear:  I am anti-tp4tissue.  I am actually pro-ergodox, even though I don't have one.  I like everything about it. 

However, let me address your points:

(1) Building a custom keyboard is not easy to accomplish.  This seems a pretty rational statement.  First, I've done it, and I have soldering experience, keyboard experience, computer building experience, an undergraduate degree and a graduate degree, and I thought it was hard, not in terms of brain power so much, but in terms of time spent hunched over breathing in vaporized solder.  Second, simply getting the ergodox kit is not easy.  And when I say easy, I mean in comparison to ordering an HHKB Pro 2 from elitekeyboards.com (at least for US customers, which is quite a bit).  I can buy an HHKB Pro 2 Type-S with three mouse clicks.  That is easy.         

(2) ergodox is a good recommendation as a first keyboard to a total nub?  Really?  I don't really know how to respond to this.

(3)  As for price, expensive is a relative term.  And I would estimate the price of a fully modded ergodox at near $600 (with stickers, lube, custom keycaps, and modded springs), which to me is extremely expensive, IMO. 

With all that said, I do not mean to discourage anyone from getting an ergodox.  Nub, pro, intermediate, all should get one.  But they should be made aware of what's involved in getting and building one.  As for price, while it's high, $600 is not too much to pay for a keyboard.  Especially one as good as the ergodox.  Also, I do not mean to malign the ergodox in any way.  It is an excellent keyboard, and is the only one of it's kind available anywhere. 

What I don't like is tp4's incessant, inane, and many times inappropriate comments about it.  The ergodox is not appropriate for every person, in every situation.  A responsible geekhacker know this, and will recommend it when it's appropriate and not recommend it when it's not appropriate.  A blanket spamming of "get an ergodox" helps no one, and adds no value.  It actually detracts from the utility of this whole website.

As for why tp4 has no ergodox, you should ask him.  He is a troll, and his mindless "get an ergodox" blather is more about trolling this site, than it is about giving actual advice, or promoting the ergodox.  If you love the ergodox, you should realize tp4 is not your friend.  He is nobody's friend.

Can't it be both?

Do I hear envy in your voice?

lol.  I dunno if bowel incontinence is something I aspire to.  But I guess maybe tp4 may be the master of a kind of auto-blumpkin.  And that's admirable in a way.  If you're scatophilic, I guess.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:24:12 by eth0s »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:00:36 »
Great response. Just want to address two points:

(2) ergodox is a good recommendation as a first keyboard to a total nub?  Really?  I don't really know how to respond to this.

(3)  As for price, expensive is a relative term.  And I would estimate the price of a fully modded ergodox at near $600 (with stickers, lube, custom keycaps, and modded springs), which to me is extremely expensive, IMO.

For #2, I was mainly addressing your use of the phrase "totally inappropriate". While I agree for the vast majority of people who are used to a staggered qwerty layout it wouldn't be very helpful, I wouldn't say it was "totally inappropriate".

For #3, I would never suggest getting custom caps, lube, and stickers to a "nub". But for the sake of argument let's say that you did want to get all that for your ErgoDox. A custom bag of springs from originativeco is like $10. A sheet of stickers around $8. For the base ErgoDox from MassDrop without keycaps it's $200. A tube of lube probably costs no more than $10, and let's be conservative and say custom keycaps run you $120 (couple sets of PBT to get all the keys necessary, plus maybe a few one-offs from SP for the extra 1.5x/2x keys).

That all adds up to: $10 + $8 + $200 + $10 + $120 (+ let's say $30 for shipping stuff except the kit itself, which ships free from MD): $378. That's $222 less than your estimate. Hell, even if you round up to $400 that's $200 less than your original number. I really don't understand where you got $600 from.

The ErgoDox is slightly expensive for a Cherry board, true. But it's not that much more expensive, and what you get for that extra is totally worth it (subjectively of course): the split columnar layout and complete programmability.

Once you start going all out and customizing any keyboard, the costs ramp up significantly.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:14:24 »
First of all, tp4tissue actually contributed to quite few threads. Some tips about keycaps, o-rings and something like tenting the ergodox IIRC. I'm not going to spend an hour reading old threads though.

Second, ErgoDox isn't too hard to get. Athough maybe it's a big investment, the price is nowhere near $600 you mentioned (I paid about $330 for whole kit including shipping and VAT, I'm located in Central Europe) and this isn't an "I want a sub-$50 backlit mechanical keyboard" subreddit, but wallethack. Almost all ergonomic (or custom) keyboards are either in the same price range, or actually higher. Placing an order via Massdrop isn't much more complicated than buying in a traditional store/e-shop for someone outside the US/UK/Canada/Australia or Eastern Asia, it only takes a little longer (compare it to TECK though...). People that had no previous experience with soldering managed to build it, and paying someone to do it doesn't usually add more than say $80 to the final price.

I won't get into that "ergodox isn't for everyone" thing, because it doesn't make any sense. It would be a long discussion about industry standards, human nature, obscurantism and stuff like that.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:39:13 »

What I don't like is tp4's incessant, inane, and many times inappropriate comments about it.  The ergodox is not appropriate for every person, in every situation.  A responsible geekhacker know this, and will recommend it when it's appropriate and not recommend it when it's not appropriate.  A blanket spamming of "get an ergodox" helps no one, and adds no value.  It actually detracts from the utility of this whole website.

This exactly. It is how it is presented as a suggestion. "Have you seen the ergodox? It is a great design!" Would be a better way of communicating that it is another alternative. This site is about offering alternatives to the norm.
Otherwise this site would turn into a storefront for whatever the best is based on someone's opinion.