Author Topic: SP Key Caps  (Read 2266 times)

Offline dragonxx21

SP Key Caps
« on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 17:14:51 »
I'm interested in the Hyper GB but am not familiar with SP caps and how they are made. Has anyone used these, and have anything to say about the quality or feel of them? As I understand, they are doubleshot ABS caps and are somewhat thin. How quickly do their caps shine and are they alright for regular usage, or will they become shiny really quickly?
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: SP Key Caps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 17:22:15 »
They're doubleshot, and very high quality. I've used SP ABS caps for months on my QFR (daily driver!) and no shine yet.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 17:23:31 »
Pictures of how the caps work with a first and second shot

How the caps are made

Personally, I like SP keycaps, especially on Blues. I think their thin-ness enhances the clicky feeling a little. I have two sets that I have on daily drivers. My Valentine's set has no shine after 9 months of daily use. My Raindrop spacebar has some shine on the spacebar after 3-4 months. Shine doesn't bother me but I thought I'd throw that out there. People generally like SP caps less than say PBT or Cherry doubleshots but I don't mind them. I just have too many sets of them.

And there's a bunch of other posts that talk about this.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 17:24:55 »
I prefer cherry profile/thickness doubleshot ABS over SP.

These are neat for the color combinations, but I'm an old man with particular needs.  :-*
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 17:30:21 »
I'm part of the younger generation. I love all things flashy. Especially flashy things that are purple.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 17:41:18 »

What about these lovely mods? They're both purple AND Cherry doubleshot/thickness. :P

But seriously, I do like SP caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 03:43:34 »
SP keys are ok.

They might not be as thick as, say, GMK.

But they have a huge range or colours.

And are very accommodating to GH's variously sized GBs over the years.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:52:44 »
SP....meh sums it up about right.

CPT...so new!

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:56:05 »
Anson, how come there is not legends at the key above enter? :p

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 06:59:59 »
SP keys are ok.

They might not be as thick as, say, GMK.

But they have a huge range or colours.

And are very accommodating to GH's variously sized GBs over the years.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:05:49 »
Anson, how come there is not legends at the key above enter? :p

Because the key cap is blank :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ