Author Topic: Finally Tried the HHKB Pro2 -- A Reluctant Convert Review  (Read 30051 times)

Offline flac.head

Re: Finally Tried the HHKB Pro2 -- A Reluctant Convert Review
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 04:28:14 »
I just got a Poker II, now I want a HHKB 2. Thanks guys, as if i'm not poor enough xD

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 01:48:16 »
I just got a Poker II, now I want a HHKB 2. Thanks guys, as if i'm not poor enough xD

pull the trigger! pull the trigger!

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 14:59:06 »
I'm seriously undecided between a HHKB Pro 2 and a Leopold FC660C. The HHKB looks awesome and I think I would definitely prefer it overall but the layout worries me a bit, I have a full-size Filco mj2 (browns) at home and this would be for work. I think going between the layouts would make me less efficient. I also do a lot of design work, Photoshop, InDesign & Dreamweaver and I am a little worried that the lack of dedicated arrow keys would make some of that stuff quite difficult. Can anyone comment, any HHKB users who are designers?
I use a variety of non-standard software in my work. Recently, I decided to try the HHKB Pro 2, and I adjusted to the layout and absence of dedicated arrow keys rather quickly. However, so far I have only one HHKB Pro 2, which I use in my home office. When I go to my other office and use my IBM SSK, I find it difficult to readjust to the IBM. So, in my case at least, I will need to acquire additional HHKB Pro 2 keyboards to use in my other office or carry the HHKB Pro 2 back and forth. Because I enjoy using the HHKB Pro 2 so much, I will probably get 1-2 more to use at work in addition to the one I already have in my home office.

In your case, if you are not able to have a HHKB Pro 2 in both locations, you should probably go with a keyboard that has a more standard layout,  such as the Leopold FC660C.

I switch back and forth between my HHKB and RF boards daily, and have no problems adjusting to the different form factors. Don't even have to think about it. And as a coder, I rely heavily on my navigation keys.

With that said, the FC660 form factor looks intriguing. My son bought one and loves it. Unfortunately, I've not been able to take it for a spin yet.

On the topic of switch weight, I think the 45g switches in the HHKB are perfect. I like them better than the 55g switches in my RF.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 08:21:53 »
I like the sound and feel of the case-mounted Topres in the HHKB Pro 2 better than those in my metal-plate-mounted Leopold FC660C.

Am I the only person that likes RF topres over hhkb?

Hhkb is too awesome that I deal with it though.

Great review! Welcome to the winning team.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 16:38:43 »
Here is more about the HHKB Pro 2 layout. This was extremely well researched by Prof. Wada to be intuitive and efficient. I delayed trying a HHKB for a long time because I thought the layout would be too alien. However, after finally trying it , I adjusted to the layout -- and even the absence of dedicated arrow keys -- almost immediately. Now I am so accustomed to it, when I go back to a standard layout keyboard, I have difficulty adjusting.

Because I also like my IBM SSK, especially for the precise feedback it gives, I have remapped the IBM to the HHKB layout:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56803.0

Recently, I acquired an IBM XT keyboard, and I like the feel of the capacitive buckling spring switches even better than the membrane buckling spring switches in my IBM SSK. It is more problematic to remap the XT like the HHKB, but I am working on an approximation:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/my-new-ibm-xt-early-impressions-t7793.html

I still like and use my HHKB Pro 2, mainly for its 60% form factor along with its intuitive and efficient layout, but I prefer the feel of BS switches, especially in the IBM XT. I hope that an adventuresome company might someday produce a 60% BS keyboard, and if there should ever be a HHKB Pro 3, it would be nice if it were to have 55-gram silenced Topre switches as standard equipment and a Bluetooth option.

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 14:39:29 »
The layout on the HHKB2 is godlike..just wish it felt a bit better.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 14:52:24 »
This review confirmed my decision to get an HHKB Pro 2.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 15:16:23 »
The layout on the HHKB2 is godlike..

what the heck are you saying
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline futurebird

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 18:55:43 »

When I first unpacked the box, I instantly liked what I saw. It was the most right-looking keyboard I had ever seen. It seemed exactly the right size, and it was laid out with a beautiful and functional symmetry. Upon lifting the keyboard out of the box, I noticed that the board felt solid despite being lightweight. There was no detectable flex in the case, and no wobble when placed on the desk, either with no extension of the feet, or with the feet in the low or high position.

I have to say that I feel very much the same way. The look of the blank version of the HHKB Pro2 inspired my recent new-found obsession with keyboards. I just wanted to type on something like it so badly! It just begs to be touched. But, I did not opt to buy one in the end, my desire to experiment with resin casting of keycaps caused me to strongly prefer cherry keycaps.

But, I think this review has helped me decide what kind of key board I will buy for work!

Offline scarlatch

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 02:31:57 »
I just wanted to say that I've been enjoying mine for the last few days since I've had it.  I would highly recommend the HHKB to anyone that was strongly considering it.  It's a tight little board with an amazing feel.  It's hard to compare it to anything else, but it's the smoothest typing experience I've had.  The "thock" is hypnotic.  Put simply, I love my HHKB and have a new daily driver.  :)

Offline Rafen

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 20:34:04 »

I have been using mine for a couple weeks now and I can honestly say that I love the feel of the Realforce over the HHKB.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 11:19:41 »
There are many things to like about the HHKB Pro 2, including the 60% form factor, unique yet intuitive and efficient layout, dye-sublimated PBT keycaps, symmetry, and overall styling elegance. However, after using mine for several months, I felt that I still had not found the right sound and feel, and I started to be bothered by the "clack" sound on the return stroke of the keys.

Recently, I have rediscovered IBM Model F keyboards, including the XT, AT, and 122-key Model F. These boards use capacitive buckling spring switches as opposed to the membrane buckling spring switches employed by the Model M keyboards, including the 101-key, the SSK, and the 122-key Model M.

I am typing this with an IBM XT connected to my Mac with a Hagstrom converter box. I have remapped the keyboard to a HHKB/Mac layout. Now I am looking forward to doing an ANSI mod on my AT and 122-key Model F and installing Soarer's Converter in them.

Although my new favorite switch is the IBM capacitive buckling spring, I still prefer the form factor, layout, and appearance of the HHKB Pro 2. Now I think that the perfect keyboard would be a HHKB Pro 2 with a steel plate and IBM capacitive buckling spring switches.

However, to be more realistic, I think a near-perfect board would be the HHKB Pro 2 with silenced 55-gram Topre switches. This could be done by transplanting the domes from a RF 55-gram board to the HHKB Pro 2. Otherwise, for those who like the 45-gram weighting, the HHKB Type S is available.

Back to the IBM world, there was limited production of a HHKB-like Model F that has been dubbed the "Kishsaver". If I could find one of those, my keyboard odyssey might be over. For a while...

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 11:33:15 »
I started to be bothered by the "clack" sound on the return stroke of the keys.

Sounds like you want a silenced HHKB as you mentioned later.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 20:34:08 »
However, to be more realistic, I think a near-perfect board would be the HHKB Pro 2 with silenced 55-gram Topre switches. This could be done by transplanting the domes from a RF 55-gram board to the HHKB Pro 2. Otherwise, for those who like the 45-gram weighting, the HHKB Type S is available.

I like the way you're thinking :D

Back to the IBM world, there was limited production of a HHKB-like Model F that has been dubbed the "Kishsaver". If I could find one of those, my keyboard odyssey might be over. For a while...

Kishsavers do turn up in classifieds from time to time.  There are a few around here who have them.

Edit: see here.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 May 2014, 20:41:30 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline beartung

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 08:05:36 »

I have been using mine for a couple weeks now and I can honestly say that I love the feel of the Realforce over the HHKB.

I think HHKB's layout is perfect to programmers specially those using emacs or vim.
Looking for Topre Orangesicle CC & Topre Limoncello CC

Offline UnlikeAny

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 12:27:34 »
I actually like that these rubber feet let you slide your keyboard easily, but not too easy that you would do this by accident.