Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Love  (Read 440736 times)

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #500 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 04:17:26 »
Then I'm not sure if you will like HHKB if you don't type a lot and depends on page up and down for browsing. With the HHKB, you still need to depress the Fn key with the pinkie finger and then another key. With Poker 2 the arrow keys is a toggle via Fn Space ie you can toggle it and then independently use WASD as arrow navigation.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #501 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 05:11:12 »
Wait.  You're giving a reason to not buy a new board?  Something is quite not right here.  :D

I've been ok with Fn paging with the Poker, so I think HHKB pinky Fn paging will be acceptable too.  I couldn't really find a good personal usage scenario for Poker's arrow keys toggle feature.  Allowing toggling of the paging keys as well would have been more useful for me.

I'm gonna go ahead and order the HHKB from EK so I get their warranty.  I found two people's accounts of bad boards on the web, and also Pexon's failed USB connector issue here, although he plugs in cables a little more frequently than the average user, haha. 

This also means I should get this by the end of this week!  Happy Hacking times are coming soon, woo!
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #502 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 18:31:51 »
Here's eagerly waiting for your impression post on the HHKB when you get it. Generally, the first few days impression is pretty meh (at least for me and I know of a couple others here who felt the same) but it grows on you and before long you will be posting in this thread (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52573.msg1167329#msg1167329) and thinking you should have gotten the HHKB from the very beginning, thus saving you $ from buying the MX boards. Those money saved can go into Bro Caps coffer for all the delicious Brobots he makes.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #503 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 23:03:43 »
I agree with the "danger" of wanting to dump all MX boards after getting a Topre.

My first board was an Filco MXRed which I liked so much that I wanted get multiple Filcos just to fit all the incoming keycaps... 

...then I got a hhkb.  To be honest, the first week was meh. 

Then the board started to break in - the bubble-pop feeling of typing on the board has become irresistible! 

Now, the hhkb is my main board and I've lost all interest in buying any MX boards except a couple of ergonomics, out of curiosity and again, to fit some incoming keycaps.

I still like my Filco with SPH doubleshots, but if I had to pick only one board, there is no question in my mind that it has to be the hhkb.  Although the Filco "feels more solid", the hhkb is more fun to type on, is portable (perfect for laptops), and its usage results in less fatigue.
⌨White Blank HHKB P2 ⌨Filco TKL SA MXRed
Interests: ⌨AcidFire's Board ⌨Kinesis Advantage LF

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #504 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 01:42:51 »
So stoked right now. OriginativeCo finally has Thick lube back in stock after a month + of waiting and PMing mkawa a couple times. When I get it, my HHKB Pro2 will be as silent as all hell. Excited.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #505 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 07:36:36 »
HHKB Pro 2 has been ordered!  I went with the regular over Type-S since I wanted the black case.

Well, I only have two MX boards so far, so I wasn't too far along the "wrong path" yet, haha.  And I'm a sucker for pretty keysets, so I'll most likely continue to use MX as well.  I suppose if I really end up loving Topre, and those upcoming MX-compatible Topre switches are good, then I could have my cake and eat it too.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #506 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 07:44:20 »
:thumb: welcome to the elite club. Ha ha ha!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #507 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 07:54:23 »
So stoked right now. OriginativeCo finally has Thick lube back in stock after a month + of waiting and PMing mkawa a couple times. When I get it, my HHKB Pro2 will be as silent as all hell. Excited.

You already did dental bands right?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #508 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 12:39:28 »
HHKB Pro 2 has been ordered!  I went with the regular over Type-S since I wanted the black case.

Well, I only have two MX boards so far, so I wasn't too far along the "wrong path" yet, haha.  And I'm a sucker for pretty keysets, so I'll most likely continue to use MX as well.  I suppose if I really end up loving Topre, and those upcoming MX-compatible Topre switches are good, then I could have my cake and eat it too.

Congrats! That's the color to get!

You already did dental bands right?

Correct!

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #509 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 18:52:19 »

Dude, I LOVE lube - you can use it on keyboards too? Anyway, great stuff.

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #510 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 18:53:46 »
My HHKB is the best thing I own. Not just keyboard, but possession.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #511 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 00:41:12 »
Got my HHKB Pro 2 today, and I have seen the Topre light.  Typing just feels so comfortable with the right amount of smoothness and tactileness, and the thock thock sounds are just so very satisfying.  I went back and tried typing on my Poker II with Reds and WASD V2 with Browns, and while they aren't bad, they feel quite a bit, uh cheap compared to the HHKB with Topre.  It's not a totally fair comparison since I still have the default ABS caps for both of those MX boards.

As for the HHKB itself, its minimal design is so clean and attractive.  I got the black printed keys on black since I liked the look with legends, and the keys look and feel great.  I think I would have liked the board to be a little heavier, and the rubber feet are terribad at keeping the board in one place.  My cat likes to lay on the desk above my keyboard, and one paw kick and bam, the HHKB is now sitting in my lap.  But that should be easily remedied with some extra feet or anti-slip liners.

For me, the main downside is that I really wish this board was programmable, at least with one layer like the Poker II.  As discussed in the Poker II for software dev thread, it's a little difficult to do key chord combinations that deal with Shift + Arrow + Ctrl + function keys/Home/End/etc in the Fn layer, especially when working with Windows and Visual Studio.  With the Poker II, I was able to make things a lot more intuitive for me by programming a couple of Pn macros.  I'm going to try practicing more with the HHKB and see if I can get used to it for coding.  Also I'll try to learn vim, which a couple of people mentioned worked well for them for 60% boards.  In the worst case, I'll use the Poker II for work, and HHKB for home usage.  We'll see how that works switching between the two board's Fn layouts.  Right now I keep hitting Alt and WASD on the HHKB, haha.

But consider me a Topre convert!  Now I understand why everyone gushes so much over it.  And I haven't heard the Type-S, but I think I'm glad I got the regular HHKB Pro2, since I just love the way it sounds right now and wouldn't want it to be quieter.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2014, 00:43:57 by naasfu »

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #512 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 00:43:27 »
The poker 2 has PBT not ABS by the way.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #513 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 00:44:53 »
I got the backlit Poker 2, which comes with ABS. 

When are you getting your HHKB??  ;D

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #514 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 00:47:36 »

Soon(™) It's not just me being silly and not buying it. It's mostly money constraints as I'm a 14 year old with little money. Getting a job here soon so I'm going to have some extra cash to throw at my screen to get one. And Contrary to popular belief I don't have tons of novelty caps and keysets just laying around. I only bought a steel BroBot because I just love it and It was impulse.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #515 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 02:11:45 »

Soon(™) It's not just me being silly and not buying it. It's mostly money constraints as I'm a 14 year old with little money. Getting a job here soon so I'm going to have some extra cash to throw at my screen to get one. And Contrary to popular belief I don't have tons of novelty caps and keysets just laying around. I only bought a steel BroBot because I just love it and It was impulse.

Hey thats cool youre getting into mechanical young! I used rubberdomes half my damn life.. ;( Better late then never! :D

About to do some amazing stuff to my hhkb... just wait!  :rolleyes:

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #516 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:29:11 »

Ahhh, ok got it.  That's cool.  Good luck with your job and your HHKB fund raising efforts.  :thumb:

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #517 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:55:39 »

Aww man, it would've been so funny if you actually were some old crotchety guy who wouldn't shell out the money for a mechanical keyboard but had tons and tons of Brobots and colored topre sets :p
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline ajx

« Reply #518 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:29:57 »
wondering how HHKB feels on gaming?
i know about ctrl/capslock issue but i never use ctrl as function in game
really wondering if HHKB and FPS do match together
i know most of players can use either blue or brown for gaming, i simply cant, i bottom out too much and tactile bump does interfere me and cause me a trouble
same for Torpre switch?

Offline Zaskar

« Reply #519 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 01:28:30 »
i know most of players can use either blue or brown for gaming, i simply cant, i bottom out too much and tactile bump does interfere me and cause me a trouble
same for Torpre switch?

I love Topre for gaming, I have both a 45g Realforce 87U and a HHKB 2.

HHKB2 took a bit more getting use to for gaming for me then it did for actual typing (too much Control for Duck muscle memory) but you get use to it. I can see games that make Heavy use of the F keys being a bit rough as much of the convenience the FN layer adds for typing can work against you when gaming since one hand is always on the mouse.

« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:05:31 by Zaskar »

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #520 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 04:19:41 »
same for Torpre switch?

Just my two cents, I have only played FPSs with my HHKBs and I love it, seriously absolutely no issue. Play a lot of TF2 and some BF4. In fact I was thinking last night that I finally understand what they mean by oneness with cup rubber :) With Topre boards you can often forget that the keyboard even exists, it actually starts to feel like you are interacting directly with the machine which is pretty much ideal.  That all being said linear switches might be a little nicer for gaming but I still don't ever find myself wanting to switch to my mx black board when I game so that says something as well.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #521 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 05:38:30 »
I play Skyrim and Borderlands 2 with my HHKB and its great.

Offline ajx

« Reply #522 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 06:27:39 »
same for Torpre switch?

Just my two cents, I have only played FPSs with my HHKBs and I love it, seriously absolutely no issue. Play a lot of TF2 and some BF4. In fact I was thinking last night that I finally understand what they mean by oneness with cup rubber :) With Topre boards you can often forget that the keyboard even exists, it actually starts to feel like you are interacting directly with the machine which is pretty much ideal.  That all being said linear switches might be a little nicer for gaming but I still don't ever find myself wanting to switch to my mx black board when I game so that says something as well.
did you ever try linear switch and make comparison among tactile switch / Torpre?
of course its a matter of personal preference, but for having both keyboard with brown and red switch, i definitely like red over brown as for gaming mainly when i am bottoming out much, necessarily for circle-strafing
never said its unplayable with brown but it suits better with red
well my question was if you bottom out the keys, does Torpre be recommend for gaming? 

Offline osi

« Reply #523 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 06:59:48 »
same for Torpre switch?

did you ever try linear switch and make comparison among tactile switch / Torpre?
of course its a matter of personal preference, but for having both keyboard with brown and red switch, i definitely like red over brown as for gaming mainly when i am bottoming out much, necessarily for circle-strafing
never said its unplayable with brown but it suits better with red
well my question was if you bottom out the keys, does Torpre be recommend for gaming?

It's going to boil down to preference everytime. I can game fine with the HHKB but I Have used RD keyboards for so long while gaming, I just like the linear action in this scenario.

I did recently have my keyboard modded though. My spacebar has a clear switch while most of the rest of my board are reds. The clear allows me to really float the space bar.

Offline ajx

« Reply #524 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 22:31:27 »
meaning linear switch looks to be completely different from Torpre switch?
i have kind of dilemma, i choose red because couldnt play properly with brown, i even favored black over red but typing on those black switches, real pain
red provides me good feeling on both, typing and gaming
i describe exactly what i might be afraid with Torpre (cant try them before buying):
i spam too quickly keys, with tactile activation, you might activate one of these keys accidentally
on brown you cant predict activation very well when you spam quickly
i m just curious about Torpre feeling and HHKB may be a keyboard to own

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #525 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 22:40:40 »
i have kind of dilemma, i choose red because couldnt play properly with brown, i even favored black over red but typing on those black switches, real pain
i describe exactly what i might be afraid with Torpre (cant try them before buying):
i spam too quickly keys, with tactile activation, you might activate one of these keys accidentally

why not get a hhkb for coding/work and keep the reds for gaming?  that's what I do...

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #526 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 22:43:01 »

why not get a hhkb for coding/work and keep the reds for gaming?  that's what I do...
Yes, do this.  One can never have too many keyboards!   :thumb:

Offline ajx

« Reply #527 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 23:54:12 »
yes it could worth it but it also worth money lol
curious about lettering on dark grey colour, is it readable from dark?
can we switch return by enter through DIP switch

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #528 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 01:05:44 »
yes it could worth it but it also worth money lol
curious about lettering on dark grey colour, is it readable from dark?
can we switch return by enter through DIP switch

imho, hhkb is definitely worth the money - but if you decide to buy one, make sure you give it a couple of weeks to break in.

There is a DIP switch combo for Mac vs PC - I think if you switch to PC mode, you should get an Enter for the Return key.

From what I heard about the dark grey lettering, they are barely legible in bright lighting - think of them as ninja keys.  There are nipples on the F/J keys so touch-typing in the dark is a non-issue.  I personally use a blank white hhkb - even though the font on the white is absolutely beautiful, they really aren't necessary.  Also with a blank board, if I ever decide to invest the time to learn Colemak or Dvorak, keycaps are a non-issue.

ymmv, but the people who seem to get the greatest benefit from a hhkb are UNIX-programmers who happen to be touch typists.  The control-key is in the perfect place for vim/emacs.  The small form factor allows one to keep fingers on home row.  Its lightness and portability is perfect for remote ssh/VPN access via a laptop.  Laptop ergonomics are improved by the external keyboard.  Cursor/function keys are within easy reach.  imho, I cannot imagine an improvement on hhkb except possibly the addition of Bluetooth, but even then, requiring batteries is a bit of a trade-off.  Even though I love the idea of a programmable hhkb, it's so good already that I can't bring myself to take the risk/effort to mod the board.

Of course, it's the thocking that really makes Topre unique, and many non-developers will like a hhkb just for the touch-and-feel of the keyboard. 

It is the least fatigue-inducing switch out there and arguably, the board that is the most fun to type on.  But for non-UNIX-programmers, there may be issues: for example, crazy multi-key combos may be needed for Visual Studio, which I haven't used for years, but maybe other developers can chime in here. 

Some people who are bothered by the Fn-arrow key combos may opt to get the JP version of the hhkb.  I think it's a non-issue as the Fn-arrow only took a week to get used to and most of the time, I am using vim-mode provided by utilities or the OS.

EDIT:  So many of my friends laugh when they hear that hhkb stands for Happy Hacking KeyBoard, but the more I use this board, the more I feel that the name is perfectly apt - as perfect as the board itself!
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2014, 01:15:23 by kfmfe04 »

Offline ajx

« Reply #529 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 01:30:58 »
you convince me to almost buy one :p
Mac compatibility does count to me (PRO)
Being barely visible from dark does not (CON)
HHKB layout wont hurt me since i get used to type on different layout (ISO then ANSI) but i will always keep one layout for long time, cannot switch between several ones
Blank keys are definitely not for me since i watch keyboard sometimes when i start typing (yes i know burn me for being bad typer lol) and also would be a potential issue when you have to manually type  many passwords on your computer

question #1
where can i buy HHKB with good price?

question #2
anything about custom taxes? (i live in EU)

question #3
i am looking for keycaps but all i found its blank keys and colored ones

thanks

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #530 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 01:43:40 »
you convince me to almost buy one :p
Mac compatibility does count to me (PRO)
Being barely visible from dark does not (CON)
HHKB layout wont hurt me since i get used to type on different layout (ISO then ANSI) but i will always keep one layout for long time, cannot switch between several ones
Blank keys are definitely not for me since i watch keyboard sometimes when i start typing (yes i know burn me for being bad typer lol) and also would be a potential issue when you have to manually type  many passwords on your computer

question #1
where can i buy HHKB with good price?

question #2
anything about custom taxes? (i live in EU)

question #3
i am looking for keycaps but all i found its blank keys and colored ones

thanks

#1 A friend of mine bought one for me from amazon.co.jp while visiting for the equivalent of EUR157.  I've heard that people have had good experiences with Tenso.com as a Japan proxy.

#2 I have no idea - other European geekhackers can prolly chime in here

#3 this is a serious problem as the latest news indicates that Topre caps are no longer being made - my solution to this problem is simply to keep my caps fetish on my MX boards - but my suggestion to you is, to take it a step-at-a-time.  Get a hhkb and make sure you really like it before buying or looking for Topre caps.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #531 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 01:52:39 »
Question #1 is mostly answered on deskthority wiki: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Talk:HHKB_Professional

Question #2: you need to be specific about where in EU you live in. Not every country in the EU has the same customs duty.

Question #3: Depends on what sort of keycaps are you after. There are some novelty keycaps like clack keys, binge caps, bro caps, etc. For the standard ones there are the Realforce sets which you probably am aware of. Anything fancy like that such as media keys you need to harvest them off other Topre keyboards like that Sory (Sony) keyboard.

HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline ajx

« Reply #532 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 02:04:08 »
within Euro Zone but i think its a kind of lotery
you might get custom taxes while your neighboor doesnt
what if i buy used HHKB from amazon.co.jp, will i avoid taxes?
18 000 yen, its cheap! but i dont know if seller ships at international
i would mail him but afraid he doesnt speak english

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #533 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 03:38:55 »
Read the deskthority wiki link clearly. amazon.co.jp does not ship outside Japan.

If you are interested in sourcing it from Japan you need to be aware of all issues that was highlighted on the deskthority wiki link that I posted.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #534 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 02:36:31 »
So I haven't used my HHKB in awhile because I got my custom Poker X finished. But just pulled the HHKB back out yesterday and I still was used to the layout. No need to re learn. I love it. This keyboard rocks.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #535 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 11:55:37 »
Well damn, I'd been mulling it over for a while- I'm going to order one for myself next week, can't resist it anymore...
I'm wondering though, why the unused space in the bottom corners? What's the reason for that design decision?
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #536 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 12:08:56 »
Well damn, I'd been mulling it over for a while- I'm going to order one for myself next week, can't resist it anymore...
I'm wondering though, why the unused space in the bottom corners? What's the reason for that design decision?

Good choice! No need for Caps Lock button. Not sure why there isnt a right control button, oh well I made my Right Alt into Control. I guess the space on the right is for the logo. Looks cool thought and I dont need a right Alt so it all works out in the end for me.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
---
« Reply #537 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 16:04:58 »
-----
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 11:45:37 by Xowie »
RETIRED

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #538 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 17:37:04 »
I am really tempted to buy an HHKB after reading this thread (and the hate thread  :eek: ). I bought a ducky shine 3 a couple weeks ago with cherry mx green switches, but I find them too heavy for hours of programming and writing papers. I am both intrigued and afraid of the layout  :blank: . If the board was a bit cheaper I would definitely bite, I think I may sleep on deciding whether to get one.
If you have read the Hate thread earlier, you would have save $ by NOT getting the Ducky.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #539 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 08:30:15 »
====
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 11:45:50 by Xowie »
RETIRED

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #540 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 17:52:36 »
I'm gonna get some blank white-grey caps from amazon japan!

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #541 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 21:23:58 »
====
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 11:46:03 by Xowie »
RETIRED

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #542 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 22:27:16 »
I am really tempted to buy an HHKB after reading this thread (and the hate thread  :eek: ). I bought a ducky shine 3 a couple weeks ago with cherry mx green switches, but I find them too heavy for hours of programming and writing papers. I am both intrigued and afraid of the layout  :blank: . If the board was a bit cheaper I would definitely bite, I think I may sleep on deciding whether to get one.
If you have read the Hate thread earlier, you would have save $ by NOT getting the Ducky.

I had to learn the hard way. It is a toss up between a realforce and HHKB. Time to sleep on it again.

EDIT: Decided to pull the trigger, but elitekeyboards is out of the white with printed caps..womp womp

Still going back and forth on to buy or not. I am considering waiting to see what the CM novatouch is like.

If you have the money and are interested, I highly doubt you would regret purchasing it.

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #543 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 22:58:25 »
So I've had the hhkb for about two weeks now. What can I say... I'm in love. All my cherry boards feel "cheap" if that makes sense.

I'm kind of regretting not going for the type-S right away. I don't think the difference is huge, but the sound of the keys popping back up distracts from the lovely thock sound.

This is my dream, lubed type S (a.k.a. buying with next paycheck):

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #544 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 01:52:53 »
I don't know if your comment is directed towards Cherry boards in particular or Cherry switch boards in general. 

hhkb is my primary board, but I certainly don't feel my Filco TKL (MX Reds) feels cheap at all, in comparison, especially with Filco's doubleshot caps.  imho, Filco's build quality clearly surpasses that of the hhkb; the Majestouch is built like a tank.  With better keycaps, it almost feels like typing on an old-style typewriter.  The simulation could be improved by using a more tactile switch, but I'm not sure how that would impact typing endurance.

Anyhow, the hhkb is more fun and less exhausting to type on, but a casual first-time user would probably have a hard time distinguishing the hhkb from plain rubber-domes.

I use my hhkb with my laptop so connecting and disconnecting the USB cable several times daily has me a bit worried about the port.  Otherwise, the layout/size/weight is perfect for UNIX development on a laptop and improves ergonomics greatly.

Rather than buying a Type-S, I think I'd prefer to save up a bit more to buy a second regular, so I have a permanent one for my desktop(s) - less wear on the USB ports...  ...the regular is plenty quiet compared to the Filco.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 February 2014, 01:59:19 by kfmfe04 »

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #545 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 02:17:45 »
I don't know if your comment is directed towards Cherry boards in particular or Cherry switch boards in general. 

hhkb is my primary board, but I certainly don't feel my Filco TKL (MX Reds) feels cheap at all, in comparison, especially with Filco's doubleshot caps.  imho, Filco's build quality clearly surpasses that of the hhkb; the Majestouch is built like a tank.  With better keycaps, it almost feels like typing on an old-style typewriter.  The simulation could be improved by using a more tactile switch, but I'm not sure how that would impact typing endurance.

Anyhow, the hhkb is more fun and less exhausting to type on, but a casual first-time user would probably have a hard time distinguishing the hhkb from plain rubber-domes.

I use my hhkb with my laptop so connecting and disconnecting the USB cable several times daily has me a bit worried about the port.  Otherwise, the layout/size/weight is perfect for UNIX development on a laptop and improves ergonomics greatly.

Rather than buying a Type-S, I think I'd prefer to save up a bit more to buy a second regular, so I have a permanent one for my desktop(s) - less wear on the USB ports...  ...the regular is plenty quiet compared to the Filco.
Personally I'd take dye sub pbt over doubleshot abs, So filco's caps aren't really that much better.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #546 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 06:10:33 »
So I've had the hhkb for about two weeks now. What can I say... I'm in love. All my cherry boards feel "cheap" if that makes sense.

I'm kind of regretting not going for the type-S right away. I don't think the difference is huge, but the sound of the keys popping back up distracts from the lovely thock sound.

I just added the Silent sliders from the 87U Silent and Lubed mine and it feels and sounds way better.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #547 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 06:31:13 »

I just added the Silent sliders from the 87U Silent and Lubed mine and it feels and sounds way better.

Damn and 55g domes, so jealous right now. Which keys did you take the 55g domes from?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #548 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 06:34:37 »

Damn and 55g domes, so jealous right now. Which keys did you take the 55g domes from?

Yep! 87U. I have some left over to put back in the 87U mixed with 45g. But now I want all 55 in the 87U too! :0

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #549 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 06:43:59 »
I've got the same problem, I am keen to buy a 55g 87u but I would never be able to gut it for the 55g domes. Need to find someone who is just selling the domes but it would seem that is a tall order. Not many broken 87u's out there :) How does the HHKB feel with 55g is it quite different?