Author Topic: HHKB - Dental band vs Type-S  (Read 5998 times)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
HHKB - Dental band vs Type-S
« on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:57:46 »
Is there much difference? Is the Type-S worth the extra money?

Here is my dental band mod for anyone that is interested:

http://www.key-bored.net/hhkb2-silencing-mod/

Offline jalaj

Re: HHKB - Dental band vs Type-S
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:07:34 »
I think the type-s just has the flat rubber rings inside the typical black thorpe switches for silencing effect.
You're paying the premium for that and the type-s lettering on the upper right hand corner of the keyboard case.

You can punch out your own rubber rings from a sheet of rubber.
There's a thread here with someone showing how to do it.

I saw not worth the premium since it's the typical black switches and not the slightly different purple switches used in silent Realforce models. You can just mod it yourself for much less.

But if you're OCD or stickler for having the OG product, get it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:15:47 by jalaj »

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:08:44 »
I know it's not worth it, but I still love it.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:16:14 »

I hate to admit it but I really agree with this. I'm going to dental mod my other HHKB now to see how they compare.

Still not sure I would ever pay retail for one...

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:19:09 »
I really like my silenced Realforce, but even without ever trying the dental band mod I can say I don't think the HHKB Type-S is worth the price.  I mean that is an extreme markup.  Almost insulting, really.

My big concern for the mod would be reduced travel and consistency.  If I really, really needed the silencing, I might pay for the real deal just to make sure that it works perfectly.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:19:13 »
Is it possible to use orings insted of the dental band?. I am not sure about the oring diameter nor the thickness. I do not know how long the dental band will last.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:22:18 by cactux »
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:20:50 »
I'm planning on doing a 55g and dental band mod while I have mine apart.

Is it pissible to use orings insted of the dental band?. I am not sure about the oring diameter nor the thickness.

one guy used the soft landing pads from ek but i think orings are too thick

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:20:59 »
I say not worth the premium since it's the typical black switches and not the slightly different purple switches used in silent Realforce models.

The blue/purple keys were for the 10th Anniversary Realforce which came in both silenced and non-silenced varieties.

Offline jalaj

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:22:25 »
purple switches also come on the standard RF silence models (non-anniversary)
check my old FST

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:23:21 »
I say not worth the premium since it's the typical black switches and not the slightly different purple switches used in silent Realforce models.

The blue/purple keys were for the 10th Anniversary Realforce which came in both silenced and non-silenced varieties.

He means the switches... not the caps.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:24:42 »
Oops.  Never seen the inside.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:25:38 »

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:27:14 »
By doing this he/she reduced the original travel and the pads have to be replaced (I do not know how often).

I'm planning on doing a 55g and dental band mod while I have mine apart.

Is it pissible to use orings insted of the dental band?. I am not sure about the oring diameter nor the thickness.

one guy used the soft landing pads from ek but i think orings are too thick

Offline jalaj

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:31:04 »
The dental bands might be thicker than the standard flat rubber rings in the Thorpe silence switches. In that case it would be a different experience than the type-s.
Punched out rings from a thin sheet of rubber would simulate the best.
Though really thin o-rings/dental bands could be similar enough. Jwaz must follow up. [=

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:31:35 »
@Longweight: for how long have you been using the hhkb mod? Have you noticed any diference between day 1 and now?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:35:11 »
Around 9 months and I have noticed no difference whatsoever.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:39:18 »
What about typing and noise difference pro 2 vs S?

Around 9 months and I have noticed no difference whatsoever.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:52:12 »
I don't have a type-S :(

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 17:03:21 »
Is it possible to use orings insted of the dental band?. I am not sure about the oring diameter nor the thickness. I do not know how long the dental band will last.
O-rings are much thicker than dental bands - they would reduce travel considerably.
Dental bands are durable: I have used dental bands on Cherry MX switches for two years, daily use, with no problems.
🍉

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 19:54:18 »
O-rings are much thicker than dental bands - they would reduce travel considerably.
Dental bands are durable: I have used dental bands on Cherry MX switches for two years, daily use, with no problems.

I have dental bands in my mouth for over two years, daily use (well almost daily use) and I have to switch them out at least once a day.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 20:02:31 »

I hate to admit it but I really agree with this. I'm going to dental mod my other HHKB now to see how they compare.

Still not sure I would ever pay retail for one...

If you get around to doing this can you describe the differences? I wonder if the dental bands will feel a bit mushier on bottom out than the material that they use in the real Type S

Offline s0ckpupp3t

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 20:10:23 »
For the love of God, why? I got the Topres so I can rest assured I don't have to fiddle around with swapping out springs, adding o-rings or lubricating stems to be happy... must... resist... temptation to open up keyboard is too great... HALP!  ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 September 2013, 20:12:09 by s0ckpupp3t »

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 20:44:32 »
I'm the guy who recently tried O-rings and soft landing pads from EK.

I have found that O-rings are not suitable for the job, because they can jam the keys, rending them unusable. This problem does not happen with soft landing pads.

I did not have rubber bands, so I did not try them. From what others have reported, they are OK.

Here is the report I wrote on the mod:
  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49046.msg1056220#msg1056220

Please note that I modded a Leopold FC660C, but the switches are identical to the ones in the HHKB, so there should be no difference.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 21:13:53 »
Someone also said the switches are slightly different for the Type-S which allow it to keep the same travel as the standard even w/ the ring installed.

The actual difference in Yen between the normal and Type-S isn't that big...equivalent to about 50 dollars or so...why the pricing is so messed up everywhere else I'm not sure....at 50 dollars I'd just get the Type-S...at 100, that's when you consider the self mods...

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 21:20:31 »
Someone also said the switches are slightly different for the Type-S which allow it to keep the same travel as the standard even w/ the ring installed.

The actual difference in Yen between the normal and Type-S isn't that big...equivalent to about 50 dollars or so...why the pricing is so messed up everywhere else I'm not sure....at 50 dollars I'd just get the Type-S...at 100, that's when you consider the self mods...

The travel is reduced with the rubber bands or landing pads mod, but I cannot compare as I have never tried a real Type-S. I have read somewhere that it is also reduced on the Type-S anyway.

The reduction is travel is less than 1mm, and frankly I cannot really feel it.

Please note that in the case of the FC660C, price was not the issue. The Type-S FC660C simply does not exist... So it's DIY only. And it was really worth it, a silenced Topre is a class above a non-silenced one in my opinion.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 21:21:13 »

And at $140, you tell EK "WTF Bro?"

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 23:51:52 »
I am really tempted to do the soft landing pad mod as it creates an amazing thock on the key return from what I heard in the video. Proll not gonna grease the stabilizers as I don't see it's purpose on the hhkb, and I feel that I would mess that part up anyway. I would really love a silent key return,
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 23:57:50 »
I am really tempted to do the soft landing pad mod as it creates an amazing thock on the key return from what I heard in the video. Proll not gonna grease the stabilizers as I don't see it's purpose on the hhkb, and I feel that I would mess that part up anyway. I would really love a silent key return,

You will love it. The mod is not hard to do.

If you have played my video, you have noticed how silent the upstroke becomes. I even had to boost the sound level because someone asked for it. He could clearly hear the non-modded keys but couldn't hear the silenced ones!

What you get with the mod is that the Thock when you bottom out is exactly the same. But you also get a kind of softer Thock when the key returns.

Of all the switches I have tried, including all kinds of Cherry MX and even lubed/greased ones, I find that it is the most classy in both sound and feel.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 01:08:29 »

The travel is reduced with the rubber bands or landing pads mod, but I cannot compare as I have never tried a real Type-S. I have read somewhere that it is also reduced on the Type-S anyway.

The reduction is travel is less than 1mm, and frankly I cannot really feel it.

Please note that in the case of the FC660C, price was not the issue. The Type-S FC660C simply does not exist... So it's DIY only. And it was really worth it, a silenced Topre is a class above a non-silenced one in my opinion.

I think the last person that took apart the Type-S said travel was not reduced..that there is an actual difference in the switch (besides the color and the ring) that takes into account the little ring. 

I've seen some mods of this that sound good..and others that sound terrible..could just be the mic though...