Author Topic: Realforce vs HHKB pro 2  (Read 14648 times)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Realforce vs HHKB pro 2
« on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 03:20:13 »
Hi guys

So recently i have decided to purchase a hhkb pro 2 , since i have been hearing alot of great reviews and how typing on it changed their lives.
I was lucky enough to find a guy who was willing to sell me his for 300SGD including a set of black on white printed keycaps.

And after tying on it for about 2 days , i  have come to a decision that typing on the HHKB is alot better than on the realforce. However the new layout of the HHKB is gonna take me a while to get used to. I still find myself trying to hit the control key using my pinky finger.

I really like the size of the keyboard and how small of a footprint it has. Looks amazing on my desk. Taking so little space.

~Now to the comparison part

-The keypresses towards the middle of the keyboard starting the f key to the J key have a real unique sound when they spring back up , kinda sound like *CLACK*.
 Some people might not like it as it dosent happen on all keys. The realforce whereas give the same key press sound throughout the keyboard

-The realforce is indeed alot more well built than the hhkb , the of the hhkb squeaks a little when its pressed. Ill be stalking the group buy thread day and night to find a aluminium                    made HHKB case.

-The plate mounted topre switches are a bit stiff compared to the pcb mounted hhkb

- I might make a video comparison between the sounds of the two switches if you guys are intrested :P

~Some pictures of this beauty

Black on black dyesub keycaps

Naked

Black on white dyesub keycaps ( flipped spacebar for extra comfort)

This is my first review , im sorry if i have missed out some parts. Please tell what what you think about this review by posting below :)

Cheers~
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 October 2013, 03:36:05 by terran5992 »

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Realforce vs HHKB pro 2
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 05:38:16 »
Nice review.  It is difficult to describe exactly what it feels like to type on Topre or HHKB.  And you have raised some good points :)

Typed on my HHKB Pro 2.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline terran5992

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 06:14:56 »
Thank you for your feedback , my good man :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 06:27:27 »
I gotta get some of those white printed caps for my HHKB!

Offline terran5992

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 06:49:39 »
You should. They legends are so much clearer.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 07:53:26 »
I have to disagree with you. The realforce feels smoother to type on than the hhkb.  However, that makes the realforce a more boring experience imo.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 08:32:00 »
I have to disagree with you. The realforce feels smoother to type on than the hhkb.  However, that makes the realforce a more boring experience imo.

Completely agree with this... just like different brands of MX boards with the same switch can feel completely different, Realforce and HHKB feel similar, but are very different.  I agree that the HHKB just feels more "alive" or "fun" while the Realforce feels extremely tight (as in fantastic build quality) but a bit more subdued.  While I enjoy typing on my Realforce, my HHKB is hands down the favorite board I own. 

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 18:14:47 »
Which Realforce keyboard are you comparing the HHKB pro 2 to?

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 18:18:28 »
But HHKB looks so good.
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 18:48:48 »
Which Realforce keyboard are you comparing the HHKB pro 2 to?

87u's....45g uniform, 55g uniform, and variable models.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 18:55:47 »
Rf topre > hhkb topre

Hhkb layout > rf layout

End of discussion
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 19:04:04 »
Rf topre > hhkb topre

Hhkb layout > rf layout

End of discussion

but... you forgot one point

:llama:
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 19:09:50 »
User title says it all

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 19:18:46 »
Well, nobody mentioned the HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, with blank white keycaps, which is better than both the RF 87U and the HHKB Pro 2 non-silent.  For all the reasons stated above in the OP review related to sound and feel.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 01:32:13 »
Well, nobody mentioned the HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, with blank white keycaps, which is better than both the RF 87U and the HHKB Pro 2 non-silent.  For all the reasons stated above in the OP review related to sound and feel.

Well, nobody has mentioned the HHKB Pro HB, with machined aluminium case. I can only imagine that the HHKB Pro HB has the "like a solid" feel of plate mount, along with absolute true oneness of the cup rubber.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 16:04:32 »
That's a rather large looking spacebar spring :o
Why did they design the spring to be external?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 18:11:50 »
That's a rather large looking spacebar spring :o
Why did they design the spring to be external?

I understand that is an extra spring to give the space bar more resistance.

It can fairly simply be removed if you want the space bar to feel like the other keys.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 20:36:59 »
Hello!  HHKB  - plastic plate, smaller case,   Realforce - metal plate, larger case.
These differences make the results?  Key touch, Resonance character ...

Offline redskull

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 21:56:09 »
Hello!  HHKB  - plastic plate, smaller case,   Realforce - metal plate, larger case.
i saw a lot of korean builders talk about 'resonance' tuning. what is that?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 15:18:17 »

switch stickers?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 16:39:00 »

switch stickers?

I thought that was the rubber mat was for

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 16:43:26 »

switch stickers?

Maybe the combination of the two :thumb:

Offline redskull

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 22:53:38 »

switch stickers?

Maybe the combination of the two :thumb:
i dont know. if according to what i understand from GON's assembly services, resonance is something probably like how much lube you put in the switches. too much lube, too mushy feeling, vice-versa. iinm, he has a different charge for 'resonance' tuning and from my previous GON87, the 37 keys cluster, F rows, arrow clusters, mods all have different typing feeling.