Author Topic: Just ordered my first mech!  (Read 1905 times)

Offline wickred

Just ordered my first mech!
« on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 21:55:19 »
Just ordered my first mechanical keyboard !
after hours of slamming my head agianst the wall i finally decided to get this one

http://www.banggood.com/Flashget-G600-Wired-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Red-Switch-p-79412.html

How's it compared to 12$ microsoft keyboard?
im going to use it primarly for gaming and coding.
and which one do you prefer ? mx reds or blacks?

anyway thanks for the people here who helped me decied and i hope i didn't messed up.

Offline Linkbane

Re: Just ordered my first mech!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 21:56:48 »
First of all, congrats and welcome into the world! It seems as if everyone starts with an MX Red, I did myself.

I really like the red, and its smoothness and linearity is the polar opposite of a cheap microsoft keyboard, you will feel the silk on your fingers.
If you're using it alot for gaming, then you've got the right purpose in mind, as Reds are generally liked most for gaming (I like mine for gaming).
Tried blacks once, absolutely hate them. It's like trying to type through clay, but there's no tactile click so your fingers sometimes just press the key, and because it's linear it's not obvious if it goes down so you just miss a keypress. Never had the problem with my Red.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2013, 21:59:25 by Linkbane »
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 22:05:54 »
Personally I prefer browns, but I haven't tried reds yet so can't really compare those two.
Welcome to GH, and GL with trying to not use too much money :P
Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 22:22:24 »
you ordered from Bang Good? 
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Tony

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 22:29:55 »
How's it compared to 12$ microsoft keyboard? - Much better. You will surely feel the improvement in a week.

and which one do you prefer ? mx reds or blacks? - Personal preference. I prefer brown/blue for typing, red for FPS gaming.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline SNF

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 23:52:08 »
congrats on crossing over, prepare your wallet ;)

for me reds and brown are really side by side as my fav cherry switch.

Offline wickred

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 01:38:13 »
Personally I prefer browns, but I haven't tried reds yet so can't really compare those two.

Thanks ! , I really hope i could prevent myself from buying  alot of these , usually i keep stuff until they break or too outdated [which i doubt wil happen since its a keyboard]
How long do you think the keyboard will last?

Yea, The canceled my PLU one because they didn't had it in stock so i asked them to send me this one because i saw some decent reviews on it.

How's it compared to 12$ microsoft keyboard? - Much better. You will surely feel the improvement in a week.

and which one do you prefer ? mx reds or blacks? - Personal preference. I prefer brown/blue for typing, red for FPS gaming.
Luckily i ordered the reds , almost went for blacks.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 01:45:45 »

Thanks ! , I really hope i could prevent myself from buying  alot of these , usually i keep stuff until they break or too outdated [which i doubt wil happen since its a keyboard]
How long do you think the keyboard will last?

Yea, The canceled my PLU one because they didn't had it in stock so i asked them to send me this one because i saw some decent reviews on it.

Luckily i ordered the reds , almost went for blacks.

I press keys harder than most Geekhackers I guess and I bottom out with MX Red pretty hard, so it hurts my fingers after a while.  Also I accidentally press MX Red pretty often due to how little force they require, or don't pick my finger up high enough when trying to release one.   
MX Blacks are much better for me. I don't bottom out as hard, don't accidentally press them, and don't accidentally hold them down.  They only have 30% higher force than MX Reds, but it's enough to make a large difference in terms of errors for me.  Also MX Blacks have a steeper force gradient which makes them feel more cushiony. 
Also "vintage blacks" are even better because they are much smoother, so I use those.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 04:14:01 »
I'd agree with Fox's assessment of reds and blacks.  I bottom out more and accidentally press keys with reds, and none of the above with blacks.  So much so that I actually switched an entire keycap set at work so I could use my keyboard with blacks.

However I seem to prefer Topre for general typing, such as right now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 04:43:10 »
That's a nice looking board. I really like the exposed look. Should perform just fine.

Personally I prefer Browns, since I like the little tactile bump. Helps me to not press accidentally and less mistakes than red. Soft enough that they work great for both gaming and typing. Great all-round switch IMHO. I also like ErgoClears, but that's a bit deeper down the rabbit hole, so-to-say.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:14:11 »
Reds are arguably the best key switch on the market, they feel amazing and in my opinion are the best to type on/game with.

As for Blacks, I'm currently typing on Blacks, but not by choice (my Noppoo has issues and does not work properly) and I have to type on Blacks, if you like typing please do not buy Blacks, you'll regret it, I know I have.

>.>

Welcome to GH and I hope you enjoy your purchase.
你搞砸了

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:23:39 »
Reds are arguably the best key switch on the market, they feel amazing and in my opinion are the best to type on/game with.

As for Blacks, I'm currently typing on Blacks, but not by choice (my Noppoo has issues and does not work properly) and I have to type on Blacks, if you like typing please do not buy Blacks, you'll regret it, I know I have.

>.>

Welcome to GH and I hope you enjoy your purchase.
I'd actually go as far as saying that reds are pretty horrendous for typing and are nowhere near the "best". Reds are incredibly light, but the fact that they do not have any sort of tactile feedback means that mistakes are easy to make when trying to type quickly due to their low actuation force. Blacks are actually pretty popular for typing as the resistance helps prevent misclicks.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 15:58:14 »
Two polar opposites, as usual.

Now make your own mind up ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 16:15:47 »
Reds are arguably the best key switch on the market

Arguably being the only important word in that clause.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 16:30:12 »
Reds are arguably the best key switch on the market

Arguably being the only important word in that clause.

I'd say it's the best gaming switch, while not bad for typing but probably not the "best" for it.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 19:08:11 »
While I love red I think it's the best first switch. It gives a idea of what else is in store. Accidental presses on reds is what pushed me to browns but for gaming reds are absolutely amazing. So smooth and easy to play with on FPS and mobas and other types of games.