Author Topic: Yet another SSK  (Read 4412 times)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline terran5992

Re: Yet another SSK
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 21:30:05 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 04:18:17 by terran5992 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 21:40:12 »
My bad i didnt see it clearly.

It is for 2 SSKs

But the description says he has two, uses one and does not plan to sell it, implying he is selling the other one.

Also reserve was $200 - already $375.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 21:45:54 »
It's one keyboard.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 21:50:05 »
Holy mother....that one was $240ish an hour ago. This is good TV!
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 21:59:55 »
Why have all of these SSK's on Great Finds been sold for $300+? Is it because they're kinda new, or is it just the want for the keyboard? Would a used one go for just as much?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 22:00:14 »
Holy mother....that one was $240ish an hour ago. This is good TV!

Easily hit $420.00  :thumb: .

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 22:39:13 »
$410, my god...

Nearly 2 days left, this is only the beginning.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 22:41:27 »
Prices have been continually climbing. I suspect there will be a minor price crash once the current set of well heeled and/or desperate collectors get one. Maybe they'll even go down to $150 again!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 23:01:18 »
And prices probably will stay up even if Unicomp extract their digit and actually make an SSK (not that this is going to happen, just sayin').
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 23:12:03 »
And prices probably will stay up even if Unicomp extract their digit and actually make an SSK (not that this is going to happen, just sayin').

It's like the current Aussie housing market - crazy high prices that aren't dropping anytime soon.  I suspect the SSK will stay high due to limited availability - hence equaling the FAT price tags for some time to come.

It's brilliant to be a seller now  :thumb: .

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 23:13:45 »
HOLY ****

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 23:36:00 »

It's like the current Aussie housing market - crazy high prices that aren't dropping anytime soon.  I suspect the SSK will stay high due to limited availability - hence equaling the FAT price tags for some time to come.

It's brilliant to be a seller now  :thumb: .

If only I had some to sell ...

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 23:36:22 »
Prices have been continually climbing. I suspect there will be a minor price crash once the current set of well heeled and/or desperate collectors get one. Maybe they'll even go down to $150 again!

They were ~$150 at one point? I wish I had bought a few...

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 00:05:19 »

6 months ago.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 00:38:14 »

6 months ago.

That's insane.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 00:39:02 »
I was lucky to get mine from an Ebay auction for $100 just a couple years ago. 

Offline terran5992

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 04:18:03 »
mint condition = 2 times the price

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 07:29:04 »
When will these Unicomp ostriches get their heads out of the sand and start producing things that people actually want to buy? They're not going to make money from fanatical gamers selling ugly old standard Unicomps.

I personally don't want an SSK because I use numpad a lot, but the vast majority of computer buyers don't need numpad and the SSK's native numpad layer is more than enough for them. SSK is great for our confined office spaces nowadays.

I think it is a great pity. Unicomp is the exemplar of an honest, decent business that simply fails to meet the demands of buyers and so it isn't making as much money as it can.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline HAL9000

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 07:32:01 »
I guess I got lucky. I bought mine for 250$ a couple of weeks ago. Have not seen one under 300 since.
Code: [Select]
/*pz*/char p[]=" ELPRTWZ";unsigned z[]={553179788,1641},
_=14;main(){while(_--)putchar(p[z[_/012]>>3*(_%10)&7]);}

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 09:43:36 »
When will these Unicomp ostriches get their heads out of the sand and start producing things that people actually want to buy? They're not going to make money from fanatical gamers selling ugly old standard Unicomps.

I personally don't want an SSK because I use numpad a lot, but the vast majority of computer buyers don't need numpad and the SSK's native numpad layer is more than enough for them. SSK is great for our confined office spaces nowadays.

I think it is a great pity. Unicomp is the exemplar of an honest, decent business that simply fails to meet the demands of buyers and so it isn't making as much money as it can.

How big is actually the demand for these? I would like one, and there is at least a handful of others. But let's face it, this is kind of a weird interest and I'm guessing there is not nearly enough demand for Unicomp to justify the expenses involved to start producing these.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 11:08:13 »
don't tell mkawa that demand is light
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 16:52:36 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:48:10 »
WTF.  $410?

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 16:23:32 »
1 hour folks! ...getting some popcorn ready...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 17:30:51 »
$455!
SSKs for everyone!

Offline JimByr

• ...old guy...
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 18:38:59 »
The funny thing is that none of the three bidders who ran the price up won the auction. Someone who understands eBay and would spend the cash stepped in at the end and got the keyboard.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:00:00 »
$455!

DAMN, very nice indeed for the seller.  I suspect if he has anymore stashed away in his attic or basement now they'll see the light in front of a camera, for the next auction.

I'm just wondering, will it ever hit $500.00USD yet?

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 20:33:08 »
$455!

DAMN, very nice indeed for the seller.  I suspect if he has anymore stashed away in his attic or basement now they'll see the light in front of a camera, for the next auction.

I'm just wondering, will it ever hit $500.00USD yet?

If it does I'm putting one of mine up without hesitation. Then I'll get a 55g Realforce for a HHKB 55g mod ;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline aref

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 19:53:56 »
I contacted the seller and was told it was one keyboard with a PS/2 connector. Looks like the PS was left out of the listing. I wouldn't give up my SSK. But I'd sell my new Realforce 87U/45-gram keyboard to buy another SSK.

Offline terran5992

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 20:08:36 »
I contacted the seller and was told it was one keyboard with a PS/2 connector. Looks like the PS was left out of the listing. I wouldn't give up my SSK. But I'd sell my new Realforce 87U/45-gram keyboard to buy another SSK.

Thats not worth it at all

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 20:19:39 »

Thats not worth it at all

So true, you'll have to sell 3 Thorpies to get one decent SSK  :thumb: .

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 20:22:51 »
It's hard to believe how much the price has gone up in seemingly no time.  This is a new high... and not even in industrial gray.  Definitely a case of personal justification for each individual, but for me, knowing that its price was dramatically lower only a year ago, I can't see paying even half as much for a regular SSK.  Just crazy price gouging, since enough people have caught on to their existence.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline 127001

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 20:31:31 »
It's hard to believe how much the price has gone up in seemingly no time.  This is a new high... and not even in industrial gray.  Definitely a case of personal justification for each individual, but for me, knowing that its price was dramatically lower only a year ago, I can't see paying even half as much for a regular SSK.  Just crazy price gouging, since enough people have caught on to their existence.

I know I paid a lot for the one I just bought... But man am I in love with the thing. If this is just a bubble I swear I'll just buy more of them when they're cheep.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 20:52:23 »
I know I paid a lot for the one I just bought... But man am I in love with the thing. If this is just a bubble I swear I'll just buy more of them when they're cheep.

You and several others on Ebay - together will help push it into the $400+ territory and looks like it will continue.  Always remember you're not the only one in town with money to burn.

Offline terran5992

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 21:00:40 »

You and several others on Ebay - together will help push it into the $400+ territory and looks like it will continue.  Always remember you're not the only one in town with money to burn.

Great Demand = Bat**** crazy prices

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 21:00:47 »

Nothing can be done about that.  Those who have the money will buy.  There's not enough available supply to provide more for those who don't.  I'm sure there are more of them out there--they just don't get listed on eBay that often.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 08:36:07 »
I'm sure there are more of them out there--they just don't get listed on eBay that often.

I suspect that demand has caught up with, and overtaken supply.

They never were particularly common, unlike the standard Ms, of which millions were made.

Now the dozens of geekhackers who own multiples as investments will start coming out of the woodwork.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 12:03:45 »
I'm sure there are more of them out there--they just don't get listed on eBay that often.

I suspect that demand has caught up with, and overtaken supply.

They never were particularly common, unlike the standard Ms, of which millions were made.

Now the dozens of geekhackers who own multiples as investments will start coming out of the woodwork.

At these price levels, I would sell one of my ANSI-modded USB Model F-122s, which are insanely more rare and desirable.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 20:16:23 »
Like I said earlier in the thread, I have 2 that I luckily got in excellent condition. The only reason I got 2 was so I would have a "backup" keyboard for parts or as a replacement. I have used one of them almost exclusively for months now and see no signs of wear at all on the keycaps or otherwise. Is it wrong to assume that it will stay in this condition a few years down the road with heavy use? That question is what makes me feel like I need to hold onto the spare that I have.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 20:17:17 »
You shouldn't hold on to it!  You should give it to me  ;D

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 21:58:01 »
You shouldn't hold on to it!  You should give it to me  ;D

LOL, I would love for everyone to have an SSK. TKLs and BS - how can you go wrong? . Between this and the HHKB, I have everything I want in a keyboard. Although, I wouldn't mind trying a board with greens.

Blues are my favorite MX (tried black, brown, blue, clear) because of the tactility, but they are too light for me.
SSKs for everyone!