Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 20424 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 16:44:14 »
What gets me (with 7) is trying to delete an open file (before I realise it is open).  Delete fails, Windows asks "do you want to try again with administrative privileges?".  I say yes, and it fails again.  Damnit Windows, just tell me the file is open by such-and-such a process in the first place.

That's actually good info to know anyways for when you want to delete something and can't figure out what does have it open....

Same for ejecting a USB memory stick.  I keep forgetting to get screen captures, but Windows says "drive cannot be ejected now" and Mac says "Application X is using files on that drive".  Something like that.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ijprest

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:33:52 »
Except for it's biggest problem, the horrible new start menu.

Just change it. So many people complain about this yet it literally takes less than 2 minutes to download something and set it up to your liking.

Isn't this the point - that the latest and greatest operating system from Microsoft is severely lacking in at least that one obvious and frequently used area?  If 8 was so much better, why is everyone (lots of people) trying to make it look and operate like 7?

Every time there's a non-trivial change to the start-menu, it *always* spawns a little cottage-industry of applications intended to make it work like the previous version.  It happened with XP (people preferred the Win98/2k start menu).  It happened with Vista (people preferred the XP start menu).  And it happened again with Win8 (people prefer the Vista/Win7 start menu).

People don't like change.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:36:34 »
Because it's not just about the way Windows 8 looks, I feel it performs a lot better than Windows 7. It's quicker at pretty much everything. But old habits die hard - I'm so used to pulling up the Start menu with the simple click of a button.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 04:36:57 »
Because it's not just about the way Windows 8 looks, I feel it performs a lot better than Windows 7. It's quicker at pretty much everything. But old habits die hard - I'm so used to pulling up the Start menu with the simple click of a button.

I actually don't mind not havint the start button, the thing i really hate in win 8 is that is pushing to have everything fullscreen.
I hate fullscreen apps XD

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 04:46:24 »

I actually don't mind not havint the start button, the thing i really hate in win 8 is that is pushing to have everything fullscreen.

I run most of my Windows apps full screen because Windows can never remember where to put the windows each time I open the apps.

Other operating systems do remember, and the non-maximised windows appear in the same place each time.

This might not sound like a big deal, but when you open a couple of applications at the same time it helps to know where each window will appear.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 06:54:16 »

I run most of my Windows apps full screen because Windows can never remember where to put the windows each time I open the apps.

Other operating systems do remember, and the non-maximised windows appear in the same place each time.

This might not sound like a big deal, but when you open a couple of applications at the same time it helps to know where each window will appear.

What I'd love to see as a feature is dual monitor support that remembers where things were on the second monitor since I accidentally hit the button when answering the phone and then have to manually reposition all my windows :(

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 08:33:35 »

Have you even actually used Windows 8? Because from the way you're talking about it, you haven't actually used it.

You do not have to run everything fullscreen.

Seriously, the FUD surrounding Windows 8 is ridiculous.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 08:50:40 »
Agreed.

I like how they enabled proper split screen in the latest update. In the initial version it wasn't implemented well, but I really like it (and use it) now.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 10:47:21 »

I said that they are pushing for that direction...
I know that many apps doesn't work that way, but is not excluded that in the future ms will push even harder in that direction

Have you even actually used Windows 8? Because from the way you're talking about it, you haven't actually used it.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:10:25 »

I know that many apps doesn't work that way, but is not excluded that in the future ms will push even harder in that direction

It's not excluded that at any point you could be mortally wounded in an accident, or that a meteorite might crash into the Earth and wipe us all out.

My point is, just because something could happen (and we're talking realistically many years away with your suggested scenario) doesn't mean you should just rule it out altogether because of something which you actually currently have the legitimate control over.

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:19:49 »

It's not excluded that at any point you could be mortally wounded in an accident, or that a meteorite might crash into the Earth and wipe us all out.

My point is, just because something could happen (and we're talking realistically many years away with your suggested scenario) doesn't mean you should just rule it out altogether because of something which you actually currently have the legitimate control over.

Well that is actually true, but even if the apps can be windowed the rest of the system is full screen. I admit that i havent used w8 much, but for example there is the control pannel like in win7 and the settings in the modern ui. I was a bit confused that some option were in the control pannel and other in the settings. Right now is just confusing many friend said to me that is just habit, maybe is true, but i don't really like much that i need to habituate to do something that is logically incorrect.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:39:05 »

Well that is actually true, but even if the apps can be windowed the rest of the system is full screen. I admit that i havent used w8 much, but for example there is the control pannel like in win7 and the settings in the modern ui. I was a bit confused that some option were in the control pannel and other in the settings. Right now is just confusing many friend said to me that is just habit, maybe is true, but i don't really like much that i need to habituate to do something that is logically incorrect.

I could be wrong here, but as I understand it, the Metro settings application is essentially a 'wrapper' for the settings in the Control Panel, except for cases where the setting is explicitly only applicable to a Metro application.

So in other words - if you never intend to use the Metro applications, every setting you should ever need to change, you should only ever need to use Control Panel for this.

If you're wanting access to settings that are only available inside the Metro Settings application, then you clearly actually do want to use Metro Apps...

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:51:16 »

I could be wrong here, but as I understand it, the Metro settings application is essentially a 'wrapper' for the settings in the Control Panel, except for cases where the setting is explicitly only applicable to a Metro application.

So in other words - if you never intend to use the Metro applications, every setting you should ever need to change, you should only ever need to use Control Panel for this.

If you're wanting access to settings that are only available inside the Metro Settings application, then you clearly actually do want to use Metro Apps...

To change the password you need to use the metro settings, while you can't in the user setting in the control pannel :(

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:01:43 »
Don't you have "User Accounts" in the Control Panel?

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:14:34 »
Don't you have "User Accounts" in the Control Panel?

When my sister tried to change the passwrod i searched in the user accounts,  tehre were settings for uac, user image etc, but none about changing password. It was only in the settings in the moder ui.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:14:49 »
Not really. Most of user accounts functionality is only available in PC settings now. I could really care less about what is in control panel or PC settings, as long as I can find it.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:36:33 »

To change the password you need to use the metro settings, while you can't in the user setting in the control pannel :(

are you logging in with a Microsoft Account? if so, that is why.

if you don't want to use metro settings to change the password, you use the website (hotmail) to change the password. or just use a local account instead of a Microsoft one.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:38:16 by oscillik »

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:41:55 »

if you don't want to use metro settings to change the password, you use the website (hotmail) to change the password. or just use a local account instead of a Microsoft one.

Well it was my sister pc XD

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 15:45:11 »

Well it was my sister pc XD

I would hazard a guess that she is using a Microsoft account, so that would explain why.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 21:45:50 »
Is there a way to switch back to using a local user account instead of a Microsoft account?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 22:07:43 »
Is there a way to switch back to using a local user account instead of a Microsoft account?

You need one for initial setup, but you can go into the Metro Accounts setting and remove your Microsoft account from there. Then you create a local one.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 22:29:06 »

You need one for initial setup, but you can go into the Metro Accounts setting and remove your Microsoft account from there. Then you create a local one.

Cool thanks I had a local account but then 8.1 wanted a new one for the setup
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 23:29:18 »
I find it marginally convenient to have a live account, because my OH has a Surface tablet, and when I log in with my user name on it, it has a lot of my settings automatically loaded to mirror those on my desktop, like my wallpaper.  Too bad I only ever use IE on the Surface and never on my desktop. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 11:15:52 »
Well, I just got myself a copy of Windows 8 and I'm gonna install it on one of my PC's tonight. The moment of truth is coming!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 12:15:37 »
You don't need MS account for set up. You can set up with local account from the beginning if you like... the secret is starting the installer without any network connection it then defaults to local account instead of trying to make you use live account.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 12:47:13 »
I've done a few Windows 8 installs for clients at work, and there is a slightly hidden button someplace that will let you install Windows 8 without a Microsoft account. Now, of course, this evening, I'll have to find that button again.

And then, after that, I'll have to figure out how to un-hide the local administrator account. Seems that after Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft has liked to play tricks with the built-in local admin.

Overall, though, I'll be interested to see how it turns out!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 13:52:48 »
Well, I just got myself a copy of Windows 8 and I'm gonna install it on one of my PC's tonight. The moment of truth is coming!

I think you might need a Floating Point Unit in order to run Windows 8.1

you'll have to get that Cyrix chip! go for green (heatsink)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 01:06:18 »

Will it run on 486 CPU? ;)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 03:30:38 »

Will it run on 486 CPU? ;)

Or even a P5 or P6 architecture?  Please let us know what sort of hardware you're installing it on to, very curious to see if Win8 will actually work  ::) .

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 05:34:03 »
I'm going to run it on a Core 2 duo machine I got from work. We'll have to see how it goes...I'll be using my good ol' Pentiums in the meantime.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 07:51:46 »
I'm going to run it on a Core 2 duo machine I got from work. We'll have to see how it goes...I'll be using my good ol' Pentiums in the meantime.

I still love Windows 7 Ultimate/Pro SP1, I know this is the Windows 8.1 section and I'm going to get my arse kicked here, but I have been using win8 Pro and it's just not what I fancy at all.  The downside I actually paid for it and am stuck with using it on one machine.

Nothing in Win8 is available that isn't available in Win7 and that's the kicker here.  I don't like/use the Metro crap (only difference between the 2 OS versions), hence I didn't see the point of upgrading all my PC's with Win8.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 08:51:37 »

I still love Windows 7 Ultimate/Pro SP1, I know this is the Windows 8.1 section and I'm going to get my arse kicked here, but I have been using win8 Pro and it's just not what I fancy at all.  The downside I actually paid for it and am stuck with using it on one machine.

Nothing in Win8 is available that isn't available in Win7 and that's the kicker here.  I don't like/use the Metro crap (only difference between the 2 OS versions), hence I didn't see the point of upgrading all my PC's with Win8.

There is a TON more than just ui differences.  The vast majority of stuff is performance and speed upgrades along with native support for USB 3.0 among other things.

Speaking of which has anyone found a fix for the USB 3.0 issue with 8.1?

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 09:20:26 »

There is a TON more than just ui differences.  The vast majority of stuff is performance and speed upgrades along with native support for USB 3.0 among other things.

Speaking of which has anyone found a fix for the USB 3.0 issue with 8.1?

yeah most of the beneficial things with Windows 8.x are the changes to the kernel - it's now tickless, which basically means that when idling the CPU isn't constantly waking itself up to see if there are any jobs left to do. This improves power efficiency. There are numerous other enhancements under the hood on Windows 8.x too.

What USb 3.0 issue? I've been running Windows 8.1 on my ThinkPad with USB 3.0 and there haven't been any problems whatsoever.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 09:39:53 »
Since I installed 8.1 my usb 3.0 doesn't work.  I tried the entire delete the driver ans scan for hardware changes and this worked the first time but had to restart due to a different update (video card driver I think) and that doesn't even work.  The mobo is an Asus P8P67EVO.  If I remember correctly when this board was made windows 8 was still a very long way off.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 09:46:22 »
Since I installed 8.1 my usb 3.0 doesn't work.  I tried the entire delete the driver ans scan for hardware changes and this worked the first time but had to restart due to a different update (video card driver I think) and that doesn't even work.  The mobo is an Asus P8P67EVO.  If I remember correctly when this board was made windows 8 was still a very long way off.

definitely sounds like some kind of issue with you particular set up - Windows 8 has had native support for USB 3.0 since release, I've had no problems on my main rig that is still running Windows 8 due to the issues with mouse lag on Windows 8.1, and my ThinkPad as I already mentioned is running Windows 8.1 and is working just fine.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 09:54:14 »
Well the 3.0 worked flawless until the 8.1 install.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 19:35:46 »

Which can totally be something driver related.

When you were running Windows 8, were you using the built-in USB 3.0 support, or had you installed chipset drivers? If you had installed chipset drivers, uninstall the pertinent drivers and see how that goes.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 00:09:56 »
Mine works fine using the on-disc drivers.  This is on a board with the Renesas aka NEC chipset.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline tbc

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 00:39:28 »

Which can totally be something driver related.

When you were running Windows 8, were you using the built-in USB 3.0 support, or had you installed chipset drivers? If you had installed chipset drivers, uninstall the pertinent drivers and see how that goes.

that's how windows 8 works nowadays.

you install drivers to FIX things, not to make them work the first time.  window's class drivers are surprisingly decent actually. I've only HAD to install some realtek drivers to get the front-panel working.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.