Author Topic: Switching back and forth...  (Read 3477 times)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Switching back and forth...
« on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 23:52:50 »
So I decided to switch over to my EnduraPro for a bit, just to remind myself of how it feels, and kinda give it a second chance.

And... it's lighter than my Model M, and I kinda like that. Now I'm liking it more than the (very, very heavy) Model M, despite its flaws. (This is also why my next board will most likely have Cherry blues.)

But, I'll probably start disliking it because of the flaws with it, and quit using it...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 00:08:43 »
by lighter you mean key resistance or actual board weight?

ibm/endura/bs key resistance is definitely on the high side. I cant use it as a daily board actually, its more suited to when I'm in the "mood" for it. But I do get into the mood for a heavy board fairly often (at least once a week) so i'd always keep one around.  The change-up is nice.

For me Alps (and their clones) seems to offer the right resistance (cherries feel too light to me). Once I have a couple of alps-ish boards with the right volume and tactile bump I'll be all set. The dampered-dell will be one of them, its great.  I think a dampered-tp2 could be the second clickier one. I'd be happy with those two as daily boards.

Probably the dell dampered black alps will become my daily board, with the tp2 there if I want a little noise (with relatively light switches), and the bs there if i want noise with heavy switches :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 00:46:10 »
Key resistance.

I've been wanting a board with less resistance than the Model M for a while now, and I realized I've got one right in front of me. :p

(A sign that you MAY be a switchaholic: You have enough different keyboards that when you decide you want something different, you completely forget that you already have a keyboard that does that different thing. :p)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 00:59:23 »
I'm switching less right now than before because the Topre 86 is f*cking amazing. I jsut had to write for 4 days straight and all I used was the Topre, so I think I'm gonna dump my whole collection and keep only 2 keyboards.

I just don't know the best time to start putting stuff on eBay (no one here is going to want what I'm selling).

Offline cchan

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 01:05:23 »
Well, what are you selling?
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 04:59:41 »
Everything except the Topre 86 I think. What are you looking for? PM me.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 05:07:11 »
Quote from: xsphat;16125
Everything except the Topre 86 I think. What are you looking for? PM me.

dude, you'll regret it ;)  Dont you want to keep a couple for reference? Or to remind yourself why you love the topre?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 13:25:04 »
Quote from: wellington1869;16126
dude, you'll regret it ;)  Dont you want to keep a couple for reference? Or to remind yourself why you love the topre?

I want one BS, one Cherry, one Alps, one Topre because those are the big dogs, you know?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 13:25:53 »
Speaking of Cherries, did you get my PM, xsphat?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 13:26:56 »
I want them all in the same layout, so the Topre 86 and Model M 84 key stay, so I am thinking drop everything else and buy a Cherry and an Alps Filco mini. All I have to do now is figure out whether to get the Cherry black or blue version.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 13:27:28 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;16133
Speaking of Cherries, did you get my PM, xsphat?

Yeah, sounds good. Sorry, been really busy.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 15:28:59 »
Quote from: xsphat;16135
I want them all in the same layout, so the Topre 86 and Model M 84 key stay, so I am thinking drop everything else and buy a Cherry and an Alps Filco mini. All I have to do now is figure out whether to get the Cherry black or blue version.

sounds like a plan :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 15:37:49 »
Yup, 2 down 2 to go.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 16:12:03 »
Cherry blacks? Huh.

I take it that's why you've got the M10, to decide what Cherries you want?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 18:42:27 »
Yeah. The blacks in my wife's keyboard are broken in and feel great. They were too tough for me so I gave it to her and now after a couple years of use (which is about equal to a month of my use), it is an excellent feeling keyboard. I, like you, want to test out the blues again because I really didn't give them a proper chance before.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 18:49:12 »
I read the above posts with interest. I think I am a switchaholic : ) In the end I want to get rid of everything that has a numpad. Thats 2 model M's and 1 unicomp customizer. These are great keyboards, but I can't get past the numpad.
Like xsphat I want to keep my Filco's and Model M mini and the HHKB. I am thinking I can be happy with that. That would get me down to 4 keyboards. I am not including the cherry 4100 since I keep that in the laptop bag for work.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 18:53:14 »
I think I switch in order to generate inspiration when inspiration to write is lacking. :)  I suppose in an ideal world I shouldnt need it, but I sometimes do.  Its not easy to tie oneself to the computer for work 10 or more hours a day :) Every little thing that can make it fun, helps.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 18:54:56 »
I switch because I keep thinking there is something better. There really is nothing "better" in the end. Its what you like, not so much what someone else likes.
If anything , the one thing that is most certainly resolved is that I don't like the numpad, and I do like the filco mini layout.
I think I am making progress.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 19:08:26 »
Quote from: bigpook;16168

I think I am making progress.

me too :)  I definitely have a much better idea of my own likes and dislikes. Isnt that what they say -- you go out to discover the world and what you discover is yourself ;)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 19:11:37 »
Quote from: wellington1869;16170
me too :)  I definitely have a much better idea of my own likes and dislikes. Isnt that what they say -- you go out to discover the world and what you discover is yourself ;)

Thats very insightful.
I just didn't think I would be doing this with keyboards : )

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 19:21:26 »
xsphat: See, this is really my first chance to try blues for more than a few seconds at Micro Center with a Das III - and my experience there was BETTER than what I was expecting, but... I thought my EnduraPro was great until I tried it for a while. (And now I think it's great again, but my desires will change yet again.)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 19:24:31 »
Quote from: bigpook;16171

I just didn't think I would be doing this with keyboards : )

lol :D

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 26 December 2008, 00:12:58 »
The problem is I'll still need a white HHKB Pro with lettering to complete my collection. That way I can have a good keyboard to carry around. Maybe an ML4100 would fit the bill until that day. The Filcos are higher on my list of priorities right now.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 December 2008, 14:49:34 »
This minimalism is not for me. I want to buy keyboards I don't need and keep them in the closet for an occasion that won't come. :)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 26 December 2008, 15:41:33 »
Your day will come, Grasshopper.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 December 2008, 15:44:16 »
I don't know, xsphat, I think lowpoly is on to something there.
bump, bump...me falling off of the wagon.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 December 2008, 15:52:38 »
I just sold more of the junk in my room on craigslist to finance my keyboard habit, lol. I think i'm about even actually in terms of cost (between selling old gadgets and selling off the keyboards I wasnt going to keep). Thats not bad considering the whirlwind of boards I've gone thru in the last couple of months, lol.