Author Topic: SteelSeries Introduces Rival Optical Gaming Mouse  (Read 18833 times)

Offline pr1me

Re: SteelSeries Introduces Rival Optical Gaming Mouse
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:21:27 »
this rival looks nice, the name plate kind of ruin it tho  :(

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 17:51:43 »
That thing actually looks kinda nice

too bad i love my deathadder too much  :cool:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 19:11:05 »
this rival looks nice, the name plate kind of ruin it tho  :(

The name plate on the mouse that you buy comes with the word "RIVAL" hence why the sad face?

There is only a spare black plastic fixture to burn a name into, but why bother?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 19:12:12 »
That thing actually looks kinda nice

too bad i love my deathadder too much  8)

I dropped my DA2013 into the bottom desk draw where it belongs  :thumb: .

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 12:38:58 »
So this is an ergo right handed version of my old Razer Lachesis?
5600dpi Razer Precision™ 3.5G laser sensor
Adjustable Multi-Color LED(Up to 16 million colors)
Variable true dpi setting adjustments in increments of 125dpi
60KB Razer Synapse™ onboard memory
Nine independently programmable Hyperesponse™ buttons
1000Hz Ultrapolling / 1ms response time
Tracking up to 200 inches per second

The only difference seems to be the form factor, and the sensor (laser @ 5600dpi vs optical @ 6500 dpi)
I might have to give it a try just for the ergonomic effect even though I just replaced my razer's feet with new pads and it's as slick, smooth, and fast as ever

Show Image

I love my Lachesis, such a comfortable mouse to use.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 14:07:20 »
Got this for Xmas. It's damn near perfect.

My one gripe with it is that the finish picks up hand oils way too much. Makes the mouse look greasy (even though it feels great), and it can't be wiped off. Can definitely tell it's a superior optical sensor, rather than a laser. IMO right up there on par with the DA.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 16:10:06 »
My one gripe with it is that the finish picks up hand oils way too much. Makes the mouse look greasy (even though it feels great), and it can't be wiped off.

I always use an aerosol can here in Convict Town called "Mr.Sheen" that removes all contaminants from any surface, plastic, stone, metal, etc. ......

Use it exclusively on my rodents that makes them look like new again  :thumb: .

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 16:17:18 »
The more i look at this the more i want it..

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 19:31:24 »
Rarely am I tempted by a new mouse, but I might have to try this one out. I'm really, really happy with my Zowie FK, but the features on this mouse seem great  :eek:

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 19:43:51 »
I must say I like the rubberized side grips much more than Razer's

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 22:42:58 »
I must say I like the rubberized side grips much more than Razer's

Yeah, very easy pickup even if you sweat like a pig (......I know, pigs don't sweat).

Plus it's extremely light it almost floats across the mouse pad so easily.  Even the weakest individual would love this device  :thumb: .

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 16:20:20 »
Did you get a 3D nameplate yet?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 16:30:46 »

With the box package all I got was a black, blank - plastic nameplate, that was all.  Although I have no idea why they supplied it, maybe when you throw the mouse against the wall perhaps that same plate 'might' drop out of the rear of the device........who knows?

Couldn't care less for it, besides why would they supply another name plate when it already has "RIVAL" etched into the existing plate?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 16:33:55 »
I wish they stuck to the Japanese naming system  :p
Rival ... what a break from tradition.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 10:58:10 »

With the box package all I got was a black, blank - plastic nameplate, that was all.  Although I have no idea why they supplied it, maybe when you throw the mouse against the wall perhaps that same plate 'might' drop out of the rear of the device........who knows?

Couldn't care less for it, besides why would they supply another name plate when it already has "RIVAL" etched into the existing plate?

Interesting. All I got was one that says "Rival" and one that says "Steelseries"

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 01:42:27 »
Huh I think it's supposed to come with a blank one so you can use a 3d printer on it.
You should contact them and see if you can get a free custom nameplate :D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 13:14:09 »
*shrug*

Doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned with how the mouse performs and how it fits my hands than how it looks :)

Offline Rendom

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 21:12:47 »
I received this last week. Honestly, it won me over, especially over my older 2013 Deathadder. I love the size of it, and it gives you a lot of customization to the mouse too, but I wish it had the function to save the profile and settings I put into it, like the Sensei's. The nameplate doesn't really do much for me.. I don't even look at it that much, but the size is absolutely perfect. From youtube reviews, I actually thought that it'd be long and ugly, but as soon as I got it.. wow, this will be my permanent mouse for awhile.
QFR - MX Blue

Offline geekhead

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 03:49:04 »
coming from MX518 which goes so well on my hand is Rival the best choice now?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 11:02:20 »
"Best" is purely subjective. What I will say as a G400 owner as well is that the Rival will feel quite comfortable and natural if you're used to the MX518/G400 body style.

Offline geekhead

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 04:29:51 »
yea it's subjective

im thinking kana V2 or Rival now, just going thru review can't make up my mind which

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 23:17:00 »
yea it's subjective

im thinking kana V2 or Rival now, just going thru review can't make up my mind which

kana...kana...kana..  :thumb:

Offline dmbr

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 01:55:30 »
After having tried countless mice, I'm finally switching to the Rival from the G9x.

The grip fits me perfectly, something I hadn't quite found in any other mouse coming from my G9x's uniquely square shape. The rubber sides are pleasant, too.

The sensor is noticeably more accurate than the G9x's; I already have found myself landing more headshots.

The scroll wheel is my only big gripe. There's no definite "click" to each rotation, the button also presses without a click, and I found it periodically failing to register rotations fresh out the box. The unbraided cord is also unfortunate, as the rubber coating drags on my mousepad.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 06:05:13 »
After having tried countless mice, I'm finally switching to the Rival from the G9x.

The scroll wheel is my only big gripe. There's no definite "click" to each rotation, the button also presses without a click, and I found it periodically failing to register rotations fresh out the box. The unbraided cord is also unfortunate, as the rubber coating drags on my mousepad.

That's unusual because the Rival has a feel of click when used.  Don't forget that the G9x has free-scroll which absolutely has no clicky feel when used but you can have the click back when you select it via the underneath click button feature.  That is the only real decent attribute of the G9x.

The Rival still has the traditional scroll wheel at least with mine.  I actually wish it had the "free-scroll" feature like the G9x which I miss quite a lot on long web pages.  The cable is like the old style mice with a plastic/rubber sleeve-like cable, which doesn't bother me due to having a Roccat Apuri near by.

I don't know about the Rival just yet, still looking for the ULTIMATE input device.......
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2014, 06:07:27 by Elrick »

Offline dmbr

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 07:55:11 »
The G9x mouse wheel also had sidescroll, which I do miss. I never used free scroll, really. Too inconvenient to toggle on/off, and not desirable for gaming. The real issue with my Rival's wheel is simply that it doesn't register every scroll :/

The buttons on the Rival are also perfect, mouse wheel aside. Clicky side buttons like the Deathadder's, but they require a little more pressure to activate--the DA's are too sensitive, IMO. Same with mouse 1 and 2.

As for the Apuri, that thing is so darn light I'd find myself accidentally lifting it off the pad. Rival has just enough heft :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2014, 07:59:19 by dmbr »

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 15:21:51 »
Hmmm since I seem to have so many QC issues with the zowie cl's. I'm considering grabbing this at fry's or amazon for 39 bucks.

Offline geekhead

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 18:47:16 »
using it for 2 weeks+ and i like it well the shape fits me well that's why i like it

side button placement is good although i prefer a more chunkier/more rounder shape

the surface become ugly as i sweat much but a quick wipe removes it

what else, i turn off all the lights as it's kinda bright and im not so into these thing

so far so good not a single problem at all

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 03:18:04 »
I'm going to get this today!
yay!
I can't wait to complain about how SS engine is terrible.
This mouse feels cheap.
 :thumb:
Probably some other things!
Well we'll see 12-13 hours from now.

hehehe.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 04:03:21 »
yay!
This mouse feels cheap.

hehehe.

The mouse has that Razer-like quality finish to it, but I suspect they're all now making these mice at the same factory in China  :(

Like to hear your thoughts on this as it's now impossible to find a SteelSeries Mouse built up to a decent standard.  Then again I'm a card carrying Mionix Naos 7000 supporter  :thumb:

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 20:14:10 »
yay!
This mouse feels cheap.

hehehe.

The mouse has that Razer-like quality finish to it, but I suspect they're all now making these mice at the same factory in China  :(

Like to hear your thoughts on this as it's now impossible to find a SteelSeries Mouse built up to a decent standard.  Then again I'm a card carrying Mionix Naos 7000 supporter  :thumb:

Just unboxed the rival. Some initial impressions:
It does have this razer-like quality finish which feels a bit cheap. However, if this can withstand oils from the skin and hopefully not stain the surface of this mouse, then I won’t complain.
This feels significantly better than the sensei’s frying pan texture.
The scroll wheel needs some work. It creaks and is very annoying.
The side buttons … will take some getting used to, they actuate differently compared to the left and right click.
The cord is okay, I prefer Zowie’s soft cord but whatever, its minor nitpickings as long as it works with my bungee.
As for the shape of this mouse, I actually like this quite a bit. Surprisingly, it contours well with my hand. I can palm, claw and even fingertip this mouse (with a wrist rest).

I’m currently playing around with this mouse on the typical 6/11 windows settings without any drivers, using the factory settings of the rival.
Seems okay so far, I think there’s a bit of smoothing but every mouse unfortunately seems to have this.
I think I’ll install Engine 3 now and whine about it later.

So a bit of a mixed reaction for me, but the shape is definitely a win for me and let's face it shape is 9/10s of the review (well actually the sensor is).
At just under 40 bucks, I think it's worth it.

Edit:
If Steelseries engine ****s up my computer again, I'm going to completely smash this mouse.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2014, 20:50:50 by the1onewolf »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 20:33:38 »
Edit:
If Steelseries engine ****s up my computer again, I'm going to completely smash this mouse.

Get in there boots and all.  Never hold back your anger when you've been ripped off in some disgusting way by these Razer-wannabes.  Shame they (manufacturers) started to form a group of maladjusted input devices, designed to irritate more than anything.

Sometimes I am tempted to place some of them on my driveway, pour some petrol over them and light them up into a black stench of death - never to harm anyone ever again.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 21:28:13 »
Edit:

Get in there boots and all.  Never hold back your anger when you've been ripped off in some disgusting way by these Razer-wannabes.  Shame they (manufacturers) started to form a group of maladjusted input devices, designed to irritate more than anything.

Sometimes I am tempted to place some of them on my driveway, pour some petrol over them and light them up into a black stench of death - never to harm anyone ever again.

I believe they went "a cheaper way" with the Rival since now they have a huge name in the gaming niche community, and are doing the same as what Razer did;

Build the name with very good product,
Become big,
Make sure to build a good fan-base,
Go with cheaper ways to lower the prices, increase the sale volume,
The fan-base will always be sellouts to the name they have been using for long.

If you really want to see some good Steelseries mice, you gotta go with older stuff, an Ikari for example, optical or laser. Even for the Sensei, i believe it feels super cheap. "Frying pan" in a nice way to describe its kindoff horrible feel.

Just like if you want some nice Razer stuff, go with the older models that are discontinued but might be on after-hand market (maybe you can find some factory new stuff!). I remember my old DeathAdder, it was flawless, incredibly good. When i tried the new edition, it really didn't feel the same as my old mouse. For some reason i felt it was a cheaped out mouse with the same shape. Couldn't get that "authentic" feel.

My friend bought an Ikari Laser off eBay, paid a third of the old MSRP, and is super happy with it. While i know it's a 150$ grade mouse and here we are talking about a 40-60$ one, i still think it's super sad that it has come to this.

While all of the above are definitly only some suppositions and hypothesis, i believe we can all agree that the more we are advancing, the cheaper everything gets manufactured, with cheaper stuff and cheaper cheap-labor. Especially with computer hardware, how low can it goes? isn't a 5$ keyboard cheap enough? Since most people don't repair their items anymore, people simply rebuy cheap stuff, sooner than ever before, and always go with the cheapest of their favorite sellout brands.

Razer understood it first, how puny of a joke the BWU is for a mechanical keyboard...
Same is going for SteelSeries... since when would a dumb "3D printable" nametag is a selling point...

It's bad, but luckily there's still some reals out there making stuff worth paying big bucks for.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX