Author Topic: Bingecap feedback- Let's make this better!  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Bingecap feedback- Let's make this better!
« on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 12:27:12 »
Hi hackers,

Late July I started making keys and chronicled my work progress in the 'Making Stuff Together' sub-forum.  While I have gotten tons of feedback on pictures of my creations I feel like there is not a place on GH, my home, which is dedicated to making the keys produced better through community feedback.

Recently I upgraded my photo setup to take high res pictures and there are more keys in the wild than ever before after every successful sale.  With that in mind I'd like to open up a discussion about quality, colors, and concerns about these caps.

What you can expect from me:
-Courteous responses to each and every observation.  I will be around to address any concerns.
-Community minded action.  Goals centered around making better figures which carry the voice of my home e-turf.
-Progress.  Always working to improve the practices of my tiny grassroots operation.

What not to expect from me:
-Custom orders.  This is not how to approach me for custom work.  Please e-mail me info@bingecap.com or pm me here on the forums.
-Arguments about suggestions.  It is not my place to complain about input from the community.  If I am crossing this line please call me out on it.
-Spam regarding creations which had no origin in this thread.  I will do my best to maintain the integrity of this OP.

Regards,

-Robert
http://Bingecap.com
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Bingecap feedback- Let's make this better!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 12:33:16 »
I honestly think things are progressing greatly. You're providing new colors, new designs, and nothing is getting stale. Things only seem to be getting better in my opinion.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 12:47:19 »
I think it's very exciting that your willing to try new things and experiment continually.  ;D

I like the certificate of authenticity idea also, very classy.  8)

My only critique is why not tell everybody you were having a sale? (so we could crash your webstore :p )

And on the website I'm glad you put that out there, although I liked the first revision I saw that was dark and cryptic where you had to figure things out (almost a command line interface), of course for most people that probably only leads to a bunch of questions....

I guess my only concern would be how your caps hold up in the long term. Since they are new I wonder how they will age?  ???

And one more thing, geekhack needs to figure out what its doing and get your a vendor subforum  :thumb:

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 12:48:37 »
I honestly think things are progressing greatly. You're providing new colors, new designs, and nothing is getting stale. Things only seem to be getting better in my opinion.

You've been nothing but helpful in this regard.   :cool:  It's the constructive criticisms of our collaboration which brought the angry moose to life.  I would have to say our communication helped make this thread come to life.  Without you I might have made many more revisions before coming to a suitable design.

V2 moose:

Angry Moose:

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 October 2013, 12:51:15 by Binge »

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 10:52:00 »
A week has past and folks have been receiving their keys.  I've had a deal of negative and positive feedback, more the later.  Some things people have mentioned.

- Folks enjoy the thickness of the keycaps.
- The detail of the sculptures is of high quality.
- Retaining functionality on the keyboard is important.
- Website is hard to navigate with OOS items mixed in with stocked items.
- Website loads slowly sometimes.
- Colors are vibrant but could use improvement.

I'd like to start by saying the website is a constant battle for me.  If anyone has been following its progression I have exuded a great deal of stress during its creation and maintenance.  I have fixed the issue with items that are OOS and the shop page only shows items which are in stock.  At this time I have to manually update that attribute of each item after an item goes out of stock, but it is as elegant of a solution as I can manage with my limited background.

I do appreciate people taking note of my modifications to keys which make them more thick, and the detail of the designs.  Some of the macro photography I use on the keys does take away a bit from the REAL look of the key as most people don't get down to see all of the mistakes/imperfections.  I do think that it is important to show it at that distance as when the design is really good it shows through the imperfections.

Thanks to everyone who has made comments on my work so far.  I look forward to the coming months and how much more this art progresses.