Author Topic: topre "thock" achievable in quality dome switch?  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Netbootz

topre "thock" achievable in quality dome switch?
« on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 15:52:05 »
I recently overbought a RF87U for my father-in-law, but he gracefully declined it - grey/black caps were hard to read, and he's a life long MAC/NeXt owner, so the Windows button garnered little enthusiasm. I could not find a good alternative for sale with Topre, so I'm looking at Domes.

Goal: Old NeXt keyboard feel, Mac layout.  Here's a perfect sound: http://www.lowpoly.com/keyboard/m0110/m0110old.mp3... btw, great work on that restored mac keyboard, beautiful.

Ruled out; HHK2 (too small), Matias Tactile (loud)... Few mechanicals have solid mac layouts. Currently comparing DSI Modular Mac v Matias Laptop Pro.

Can high-quality domes even come close to having that heavy feeling?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
Re: topre "thock" achievable in quality dome switch?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 15:55:14 »
Yes. The BTC 5100C, actually. I have one of these, and they are the closest to topre feel, and higher quality build.

They have some NOS for $25 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BTC-5100C-Mini-Keyboard-PS2-Compatible-Cable-NOS-/360770991929

I tore one down a while back and took photos. I can dig them up if you like. But they definitely have a thock, and im sure if you added some dental bands to the slider, it would silence the rattle they have.

ALSO: They have MX-compatible stems.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 October 2013, 16:00:20 by Bro Caps »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 16:05:59 »
Yes. The BTC 5100C, actually. I have one of these, and they are the closest to topre feel, and higher quality build.

They have some NOS for $25 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BTC-5100C-Mini-Keyboard-PS2-Compatible-Cable-NOS-/360770991929

I tore one down a while back and took photos. I can dig them up if you like. But they definitely have a thock, and im sure if you added some dental bands to the slider, it would silence the rattle they have.

A rubber dome thats like a topre but for the fraction of the price and has mx compatible stems?

SINCE WHEN!?!?!!?!!

I need to buy this....

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 16:09:36 »

A rubber dome thats like a topre but for the fraction of the price and has mx compatible stems?

SINCE WHEN!?!?!!?!!

I need to buy this....

They really are nice. I been meaning to mod mine and probably lube as well.

Here is my board torn down

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10373098/

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 October 2013, 16:16:04 by Bro Caps »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 16:22:43 »

SINCE WHEN!?!?!!?!!

I need to buy this....

They really are nice. I been meaning to mod mine and probably lube as well.

Here is my board torn down

Show Image

I'll probally buy one later instead of a topre cause I'm poor ;_;

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 16:52:19 »
I recently overbought ...

Just want to say I love that phrase, and I'm going to try to use it in everyday conversation :)

Fits in perfectly around here too.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 17:05:11 »

Just want to say I love that phrase, and I'm going to try to use it in everyday conversation :)

Sounds like a rich, white person problem. Just saying. Not racist.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 17:06:35 »

But if your rich how do you overbought?? Wouldn't you have to be poor to do that?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 17:28:30 »

But if your rich how do you overbought?? Wouldn't you have to be poor to do that?

It could refer to spending too much money (perhaps on only a few items), or buying too many items.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:00:56 »
Behavior Tech's build quality exceeds Topre Corporation's … You heard it here first.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Netbootz

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:05:50 »
Yeah. it did kind of sound like a "luxurious" problem to have, ha. Sorry about that. For the demographic record I'm not rich or white (not that there's anything wrong with it!), but it is all relative anyway - I used to think I was riding high on a Razor Black Widow, now it annoys me.

The overbought point was, what I needed and what I paid for were not lined up correctly; buying based on build quality and sound before checking off the most basic considerations - Mac config, cap legibility.  When he opened the box it looked like I bought the keyless caps, and that was daytime. 

Luckily, he is not picky (as long as he can read the caps), so I figure there must be a good dome that goes in the same direction - thick sound, muted clacking. If Matias had a quiet, white, smallish keyboard - I'd be set.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into those as well.

You guys are amazing in here - great community, great information.  I've learned a lot reading these boards.

Offline thegagne

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 23:08:44 »
Hm, that BTC 5100C looks pretty tempting... Must resist...

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 00:05:50 »

The BTC is somehow sold out....

:(((((((((((((

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 00:29:35 »
Is that even the right version of BTC 5100C? There are 3 versions of 5100C. Foam and foil, conductive rubber dome over PCB, and rubber dome over membrane. Only the dome over PCB is nice.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 02:06:14 »
Is that even the right version of BTC 5100C? There are 3 versions of 5100C. Foam and foil, conductive rubber dome over PCB, and rubber dome over membrane. Only the dome over PCB is nice.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 02:06:48 »

The BTC is somehow sold out....

:( ((((((((((((

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=BTC+5100c&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 05:04:30 »

Offline Tony

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 06:59:43 »
It's great to hear that Realforce/HHKB now got a formidable competitor
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 07:06:17 »

I wouldn't call these a competitor and they have been out for a long time...

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 07:17:31 »

I wouldn't call these a competitor and they have been out for a long time...

*looks at that PS/2 plug*

Yeah, they're Topre's "new" competitor...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 07:48:56 »
We have some HP rubber domes at the school, and I must say, some of them are very pleasant to type on.  Unfortunately, there is a world of filth below the keycaps and they're pretty inconsistent across the board, so you have to take the seat you know has the decent one attached.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 09:13:48 »
I have the SIIG KB 1941, which is just a relabeled BTC-5100C. The keys actuate nicely, but are a little rattly/loose feeling.  I found this thread from a few years ago where people didn't seem to like it as much.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 10:56:08 »
We have some HP rubber domes at the school, and I must say, some of them are very pleasant to type on.  Unfortunately, there is a world of filth below the keycaps and they're pretty inconsistent across the board, so you have to take the seat you know has the decent one attached.

Oh god, I hate those. Not that they're horrible completely, just that I can only really used semi-new ones. New ones are too sharp and heavy, old ones far too mushy. I've gotten decent speeds on them, but they're just not my favorite RD.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.