Author Topic: EU Switch Tester Concept  (Read 3093 times)

Offline BlueBär

EU Switch Tester Concept
« on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 12:19:37 »
Since there never was a EU switch tester tour from Geekhack (at least that I know of), I want to change that. Here are my plans so far:

Switches that are going to be used in the tester:
Linear: Red, Black, Vintage Black
Tactile: Brown, Clear, Ergo Clear 62g, Panda Clear, Matias Quiet
Clicky: Blue, Green, White, Matias Clicky

Buckling Spring and Topre would need some special stuff so I won't be able to offer them.

Build:
I want to do a case similar to GONs cases, a metal plate on top with an acrylic layer below. The tester should not be opened by the users, so I chose to use cutouts that don't allow to open the switch. Since the case itself should not be opened either and to keep the design clean, I thought about just glueing each layer on top of the other with some epoxy. I am not sure about this yet, if something breaks inside it would be extremly hard to fix it. On the other hand, I don't plan on putting much inside.
Another thing I thought about was putting some LEDs in the acrylic layer, and maybe on the switches as well. The LEDs would be powered by USB (the USB connection would just serve as a power source). The LEDs would light up the outside of the acrylic layer and also a Geekhack logo. The metal and acrylic plates will look something like this (there would also be a third layer to close it off):

41545-0   41547-1

CAD stuff:
Just as a disclaimer, I never did anything with CAD before so don't murder me if I did somehting wrong. The original CAD files were done in QCad on my netbook. I then found out that AutoCAD is free for students and use that now, but tbh I liked QCad a bit better. In AutoCAD its seems that some of the lines aren't properly connected anymore and off by some tiny tiny bits. I will fix that soon.
The files are attached, feel free to play around with them.

Execution:
I'm currently trying to get in contact with somebody at my Uni that knows if students can use the laser cutter for private stuff and I don't know how much it will cost me yet. The people participating will probably have to pay a small fee to get some of the costs back. If I get any extra money that will go to other GH projects or get donated to Geekhack. Please tell me what you think of this!

Next step:
-> 1. Get acces to the laser cutter
2. Fix any problems with the design
3. Get it cut
4. Get some missing switches (Red, 3 Clears, Green)
5. Assembly

Any suggestions and criticism is appreciated!

Oh crap, almost forgot,
Thanks to JDCarpe for helping me with the CAD!
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2013, 12:25:43 by BlueBär »

Offline BlueBär

EU Switch Tester Concept
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 12:19:59 »
-Reserved-

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
Re: EU Switch Tester Concept
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 12:52:01 »
Very good idea.
I can donate old used clears for comparison with new (much smoother).
I also have an F1-F24 cluster plate&pcb from an old terminal Cherry board which I don't need.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 12:52:18 »
Are you set on making the tester or would it be easier if I loaned you one?

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 12:55:55 »
I like the idea :D

But what are the vintage black?

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 13:00:44 »
Some claim they're placebo... http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49636.0

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 13:07:02 »

I very much appreciate that offer, but I kind of want to do a seperate one for EU. If the tour would be succesful I could reuse it for another tour.

Very good idea.
I can donate old used clears for comparison with new (much smoother).
I also have an F1-F24 cluster plate&pcb from an old terminal Cherry board which I don't need.

Thank you! I planned to do this tester without a PCB but that might feel different to PCB + Plate, so I'll proabbly come back to that offer. Those old clears sound interesting as well, do you think I could skip the lubing for Ergo Clears with them?

But what are the vintage black?

MX Blacks harvested from old keyboards, they are said to be smoother (I personally think so, too). About the placebo part: This is what the switch tester is for, get your own opinion ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 13:08:03 »

I very much appreciate that offer, but I kind of want to do my a seperate one for EU. If the tour would be succesful I could reuse it for another tour.

Sounds good. I'll probably run another CONUS tour sometime then :D. Or maybe a Canada run.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 13:12:38 »

Thank you! I planned to do this tester without a PCB but that might feel different to PCB + Plate, so I'll proabbly come back to that offer. Those old clears sound interesting as well, do you think I could skip the lubing for Ergo Clears with them?
Personally, I don't like ergo clears made from new clears at all, it almost seems like they're going to stay pressed and not come back, but I haven't tried lubing ergo clears yet.
Those old clears are just very smooth, much nicer than the new ones and just a bit softer, so I suppose ergo clears made from them could be good to type on.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 13:21:36 »
Personally, I don't like ergo clears made from new clears at all, it almost seems like they're going to stay pressed and not come back, but I haven't tried lubing ergo clears yet.
Those old clears are just very smooth, much nicer than the new ones and just a bit softer, so I suppose ergo clears made from them could be good to type on.

It depends on the springs you use with the new Clears imo, I wouldn't go lower than 65g without lube. I have newer tried such old Clears.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 13:24:59 »

It depends on the springs you use with the new Clears imo, I wouldn't go lower than 65g without lube. I have newer tried such old Clears.

I think the main thing about them is that they've been heavily used and all the plastic parts are now much smoother than in the new switches. The drawback is they're often faulty in some way. They sometimes register twice or not at all from time to time.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 13:27:20 »
I think the main thing about them is that they've been heavily used and all the plastic parts are now much smoother than in the new switches. The drawback is they're often faulty in some way. They sometimes register twice or not at all from time to time.

I have some spare switch housings so I could just use their stems, that should solve that issue.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 13:35:36 »
Maybe, but I'm afraid that the base's wear counts too.
Anyway, if you need a couple switches for the tester, I can send them right away.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:04:35 »
If tp4tissue's data is anything to go by, then the base of the switch makes a big difference to the smoothness of old MX's.

You need to lube 62g ergoclears to help get over the bump on the way back up. I suspect "vintage" ergoclears would be very nice indeed!
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.