Author Topic: Northgate OmniKey Ultra repair question  (Read 2153 times)

Offline dwf

Northgate OmniKey Ultra repair question
« on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 10:36:49 »
I used this keyboard in an office environment, as my primary keyboard, probably since 1989.  A couple of keys are malfunctioning.  I am aware that there are places that repair these, but thought I might be able to manage it myself.  

Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement switches?  A specific part number would be really helpful.  I have looked through posts on this forum, and am only starting to get some idea of the different flavors of switches used on keyboards.

Has anyone had experience in replacing these Omnikey switches?  If so can you point me to any "how to" resources?

Thanks.

Offline sandy55

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 11:26:14 »
Omnikey Ultrra usually has ALPS switch with a white stem in click tactile feel.
The switch is not available in new condition. maybe you can get used one here .
If the store won't sell switches,  then next choice is to buy a cheap keyboard which has same key switches. Try eBay and look for  Focus FK-2001 or Silitec  SKU-00A2 ( or simply WIN ) .  If you see windows key and PS/2 plug, do not go for it.  If you can get on of those keyboards you'll have plenty of spare switches to live with your Ultra.  But before eBaying, pull off a key cap carefully ( any key which you do not use frequently ) and check the color or key stem if it's actually white or not.  If it's blue your are lucky but at the same time you're unlucky because it's almost impossible to get exactly same  key switch cheap.  But don't worry. Switches with a white key stem in above mentioned keyboards give you almost same feel and touch and they are interchangable irrespective the difference of color . Once you reseat the key cap, nobody will notice the difference except you.  

sandy

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 11:51:26 »
Quote from: dwf;16624
A couple of keys are malfunctioning.

Have you tried disassembling and cleaning them?

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline dwf

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 12:08:43 »
Thank you!  I will watch for one of those keyboards.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 15:21:03 »
Yes, try removing the keycaps on the malfunctioning keys and blowing into and around the switch plunger using a can of 'compressed air'.  This may dislodge some dirt/dust particles preventing the switch from working as expected.  If that doesn't work then you can look into replacing the switches.