Author Topic: Need keycap help  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Need keycap help
« on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 01:01:52 »
So I need keycaps for a numpad that are translucent or backlit friendly. I am making a custom numpad with white LEDs and want to put these: http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a220o.1000855.w5003-3776728825.1.tImroG&id=27544684728&&&scene=taobao_shop
on them. So I need something that can show the light, and not distort the color.

So two questions: Where can I get a numpad set for translucent caps like on a shine 3,
and if those can't be found, what kind of caps would be best to use? I may buy a ABS DS keycap set but don't know how well colored light will go through.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Need keycap help
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 01:10:41 »
I haven't seen anywhere that sells just numpad keycap sets (apart from options in various GBs).

You might end up having to buy a full Ducky set (e.g. from here), and maybe selling the TKL keycaps that you don't use to someone else to recoup costs.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 03:03:25 »
You might try to find someone who doesn't use there stock key caps and try to buy them.

You could get some max keyboard caps also.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 13:04:04 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 13:56:04 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:14:04 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:35:16 »
Not so sure that one is backlit.

What about these?

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-universal-black-translucent-mechanical-keyboard-keycap-set-top-print.html

Those max caps are the same price as the MK.Com ducky keys, and I find ducky keys to be of higher quality.

For the TG3 caps, I put the wrong set. How are the quality of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Data911-RoboVu-MDS2000-USB-keyboard-touchpad-M2C-TG3-red-backlight-/230936348764?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item35c4e1085c caps? I've heard that deck keys are really good quality. The only problem are some irregular keys, and potential wear and tear. Should I get the TG3 and use the caps and then either use or scavenge the parts of the board?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:40:27 »
If your wanting key caps for an external number pad you should probably consider the profile also.