Author Topic: Custom Case Concepts and Ideas  (Read 4465 times)

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
Custom Case Concepts and Ideas
« on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:13:01 »
What are you ideal features for a custom case? or layout?

I have been playing with solidworks recently. I have a small background in cinema 4d so it wasn't too bad to pick it up and get started.

I've always wanted to produce a custom case and I think I'm going to go for it.
I'm gonna throw around some concepts, I'm not in any hurry to produce a case and will have a some funds to put into it later. I'm also by no means an expert, I don't even know if what I create or want would be possible, so any help is appreciated.

My goals are:
  • Produce a high end custom open source CNC machined case
  • Heavy
  • Plate that attaches to the case
  • Custom PCB or GH60
  • Group buy for case with keycaps, pcb, plate

Currently starting off with a 60% concept based on the 456gt.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Custom Case Concepts and Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:17:20 »
HHKB 'symmetric' GH60 1x 1.5x 7x 1.5x 1x bottom row, split backspace, short right shift with function key

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:20:19 »
That thing looks cool.  I think it's worthy of development.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:22:33 »
That last view is very odd. Is that a front or a rear view? It looks like a front view but it looks weird, like the back isn't machined down the same as the front.

The angle looks to be a little steep as well.

Edit: I'm not sure what my ideal case would be but this is going to be a cool thread and I like the idea you presented :D.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:30:59 by CPTBadAss »

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:32:54 »
That last view is very odd. Is that a front or a rear view? It looks like a front view but it looks weird, like the back isn't machined down the same as the front.

The angle looks to be a little steep as well.

Its a front view. The whole case was level at one point and then I rotated it 9 degrees downwards.

I was thinking that the angles were too steep. I didn't really know how to set the angle when I started, I used the draft tool for the bottom angle.
I figured out how to draw and create the angle manually now tho :P

HHKB 'symmetric' GH60 1x 1.5x 7x 1.5x 1x bottom row, split backspace, short right shift with function key

I like your style!

That thing looks cool.  I think it's worthy of development.

Thanks sir, maybe I'll keep this concept going!  ^-^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:34:37 »
Hm ok, just looks odd but maybe I'm just tired :D. If you need help with the Solidworks stuff, let me know. ^_^

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 13:03:53 »
If you want heavy have it machined out of Stainless steel.  Anything from the 300 series is non-magnetic and anything from the 400 series in magnetic.  This would be fairly expensive though but having this made in aluminum would probably be just as expensive.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 18:36:04 »
If you want heavy have it machined out of Stainless steel.  Anything from the 300 series is non-magnetic and anything from the 400 series in magnetic.  This would be fairly expensive though but having this made in aluminum would probably be just as expensive.

I always thought stainless steel was tougher to machine down/expensive than aluminum or brass. I don't really have any clue though, I think I would like to make a plate out of SS :)

Hm ok, just looks odd but maybe I'm just tired :D. If you need help with the Solidworks stuff, let me know. ^_^

Hmm I've noticed SW gives me some funky perspective sometimes... But I'll definitely let you know when I need some help. :D

Offline catnipz0098

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 19:19:03 »
Why don't people want the windows key?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 19:29:06 »

Because people be weird.  It's invaluable to me.  So many awesome shortcuts that require it.

Offline catnipz0098

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 19:32:28 »

Because people be weird.  It's invaluable to me.  So many awesome shortcuts that require it.

Ah I see. Seems like a huge waste, I'm sure the metal used to cover it up would be as expensive as a key

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 19:35:01 »
Because almost all original Cherry keysets do not have winkeys. Original Cherry dyesub & doubleshot keycaps are of very high quality, therefore people want to be able to use them. In order to use a full Cherry set with no replacement keycaps you must use winkey blockers.

Example of an original Cherry board : http://pds13.egloos.com/pds/200906/27/89/d0015989_4a459c0277643.jpg

Ah I see. Seems like a huge waste, I'm sure the metal used to cover it up would be as expensive as a key
It's machined from a block of metal. Having the blocker adds literally no costs whatsoever.

Cody I know I've said this already but I really like your design, and I hope to see it happen!
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2013, 19:39:14 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 19:35:47 »
I like that concept idea a lot cody

I wouldn't have room for it with my GH60s, but i could see a 2014 GB for it

My Favorite type of 60% case is the type that resembles the Duck Poker, the Tek60 and the LZCE (among a few others like the hammer)

that concept in the OP is certainly cool!

the type I don't like is the MKC design, with the thin 'tray' look, with feet or a bar supporting it. That's just not the look for me, i prefer the Duck Poker look.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 20:17:18 »

I use a windows key all the time (for mac os x), but I have it mapped it where capslock normally is.
But as Photek said, it started out because of the original cherry sets and koreans adopted the look for their customs as well.

I like that concept idea a lot cody

I wouldn't have room for it with my GH60s, but i could see a 2014 GB for it

My Favorite type of 60% case is the type that resembles the Duck Poker, the Tek60 and the LZCE (among a few others like the hammer)

Show Image

that concept in the OP is certainly cool!

the type I don't like is the MKC design, with the thin 'tray' look, with feet or a bar supporting it. That's just not the look for me, i prefer the Duck Poker look.

I don't like the 'trays' either, which is why I passed on the recent gbs. I regret not ordering the fmj one from feng that looks like the duck poker.
I do like the SS foot bar on my LZ-GH tho!

And I'm sure you could make room for another gh60! :P

Because almost all original Cherry keysets do not have winkeys. Original Cherry dyesub & doubleshot keycaps are of very high quality, therefore people want to be able to use them. In order to use a full Cherry set with no replacement keycaps you must use winkey blockers.

Example of an original Cherry board : http://pds13.egloos.com/pds/200906/27/89/d0015989_4a459c0277643.jpg

It's machined from a block of metal. Having the blocker adds literally no costs whatsoever.

Cody I know I've said this already but I really like your design, and I hope to see it happen!

Thanks sir, your making of the tek80 was definitely inspiring.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 01:29:17 »
Okay heres another idea...

I'm not sure how to line things up in assembly.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 November 2013, 13:46:26 by codyeatworld »

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 12:48:21 »
Okay heres another idea...

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'm not sure how to line things up in assembly.

Wow, I really like that design. The foot design is very cool. And I love the HHKB layout!
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 13:51:38 »
This would be plate mount on the top piece, and have weights inside.

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 November 2013, 13:58:28 by codyeatworld »

Offline regack

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 18:21:44 »
You know, if the top rectangular area is assembled separately, with the bottom plate then mounting to your angled 'foot/wedge'... The foot could be solid, cut at the desired angle, drilled and tapped to mount the top part to it.  I don't think you'd need much more weight than that.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 00:21:54 »
Yeah I was thinking  that too, but the more weight the better :)

I think im going to pursue this design here and call it the HARPER 60, named after my daughter. I'll probably make a new thread for it soon, or adjust this one.
I think quite a few of the dimensions are off, and I need to take some measurements too later. And I need to figure how to make screw holes...