Author Topic: How do you feel about auction threads?  (Read 65858 times)

Offline okooko

• afk.
Re: How do you feel about auction threads?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 21:43:55 »
JD, what would you suggest the mods do prior to letting a sales thread go live?
regulate the price?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 21:47:46 »
To be fair, people who buy know what they are getting themselves into.  In other words, there's always an element of risk, and everyone can gauge that risk vs. potential reward and make a decision to go for it--or not.  The entire Classifieds system is faith-based.  Heatware helps somewhat, but it's not a guarantee.  If someone wins an auction for a clack that's not yet in possession of the seller, it's up to them to negotiate delaying payment until the item arrives to the seller.  This is relevant for people trading their spots for group buys, etc.  It's something that should be agreed upon between the seller and the buyer.

But on that note, I do think it'd be helpful to add some formality to the Classifieds like Overclock.net has done recently, asking that sellers include recent photographs of their goods with a post-it or some note next to the item being sold, showing their user name and date.  It's just a courtesy to buyers and a step to make the selling less compulsive and shady and more organized.  Beyond that, this is not eBay, and still: caveat emptor.  But both parties agree to those risks, so I don't see a need to reorganize the Classifieds too dramatically. 

To appease some percent of the community and also to keep the Classifieds cleaner, we could institute a rule of no idle discussions in the Classifieds threads, including "GLWS"--only questions and answers pertaining to items sold.  Posts like "Dude, I can't believe you're selling this already!" could be kept to PM's.

And finally, I think having the mods approve every single thread and modification to it is unrealistic, as you'd pretty much need a moderator or two constantly scanning the classifieds to make that happen.

P.S.:  There's a "what is it worth?" or something like that thread.  It could be used to estimate a price of an uncommon item, circumventing the need for an auction to do that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 November 2013, 21:53:32 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 21:49:03 »
No more auctions.

Want to raise money? Raffles or donations. All other auctions? Let the eBays of the world handle it.

I'm tired of auctions where people are just trying to extract money from others. I'm tired of seeing people bicker over whether or not its right that so and so sold XYZ for $!!!. I'm just tired of people seeing GeekHack as a quick way to make a dollar.

I would love if we had a auction sub-forum where you can advertise your eBay/reddit marketplace/Craigslist/local/OCN/DT/Whatever sale. Then member to member classifieds can stay like we have now, but there's no PMs so there is *some* accountability. No auctions, no PM bids, no "PM me your best offer", no Testing Waters, no "name your own price". Sometimes, I go into the classifieds and auctions and there's this weird vibe that I get where it seems like some people are really saying, "Hey, I spend money better than you, let me tell you how to spend your money".

For every well intentioned, well-run auction (I'm thinking of Bunny's Cherry fundraise auction and tjcaustin's Bring Glissant Home auction), there seems to be three other money extraction auctions (I won't name names.). Yes, I know I participated in an auction and won something from it. Yes, I'm being hypocritical. I still stand by my act of helping and I think it was a great cause. Moving forward? I'd sacrifice that good intention if it meant there was less bickering over money, and more focus on what we actually love. But I don't think turning GeekHack into an online store is the way to do it. If this was Best Buy or MicroCenter, I would've bought my keyboards and just moved on. To me, this isn't a place where the focus is the marketplace.

And yes, my perspective is skewed since I do have a well paying job that allows me to afford this hobby. Still standing by my opinion on this one though.

I've also agreed with what jdcarpe has said.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 21:54:34 »
I've seen my fair share of sales threads from various sites.
Mods have closed poorly made threads not specifying important things although not having photo's is not a big issue.
But its the seller loss if they don't put effort into a sale.

I think enforcing a 'must-set' price is necessary or have the thread closed.

If you want to stop profiteering/money-extraction its not only the auctions you need to monitor - just normal sales threads with exhorbent prices too - how are you going to sell anything ?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 22:06:59 »
ALSO!

can we stop having fs/auction threads when the person DOESNT have the product on hand?

This.

I belong to another online forum with a classifieds section, and if you don't post a picture of the actual item in your possession for sale the thread is immediately locked.

Saves a lot of fuss and speculation.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 22:07:44 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50564.0

Here's a problem. Changing the rules of the auction in the middle of the auction. That should definitely be stopped.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 22:12:29 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50564.0

Here's a problem. Changing the rules of the auction in the middle of the auction. That should definitely be stopped.

lol yeah wtf. He doesn't like to display the reserve hahahaha

So what, if it didn't sell for enough money he'd just back out on the deal? ****in hell.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 22:20:45 »
Auctions are usually held when people don't know what to sell an item for... they want the "market" at that moment to decide the value.

The issue I find is that it is all too flawed when it comes to what people do here at GH.

There's noobs and vets and hackers galore... then there's a strange set of people only invested into this place for the chance to buy something which will be worth money.

Money is a funny thing... it keeps this place running and it also sees some of the most amazing people I've met through hard times.

Most of the auctions or raffles I've seen which make this place seem... I don't know, less dark and rancid... happen to help others, change things, or make something happen.

The thing that makes this place seem as bad as a pedophile is that an artist puts his stuff up for retail value, sell-out lotto, and then people immediately auction to profit...the piece of art not even in their hands.  They are scalping winning keyboard art lotto tickets...  Why is this sanctioned activity?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline jalaj

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 22:30:05 »
Auctions/sales for items not in seller's possession should be prohibited.
What if scammers create bogus FST and run away with the money from the sales?
Coupled with the lax policy on allowing PP Gift in FST, this is indeed possible.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 November 2013, 22:32:22 by jalaj »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 22:39:35 »
Auctions/sales for items not in seller's possession should be prohibited.
What if scammers create bogus FST and run away with the money from the sales?
Coupled with the lax policy on allowing PP Gift in FST, this is indeed possible.

classifieds is such a cluster**** it's ridiculous. it's easily GH's most active sub and the least moderated. seems mods/admins are more worried about how many times tp4 mentions ergodox than the sub where money is exchanged.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 22:39:38 »
Do we aim to be a marketplace, or a community? If the aim of this forum is to be a marketplace where goods are bought, sold, and traded, with a few discussions taking place on the side, then let us make it that. I say "us" loosely, because I will be leaving if that is the consensus.

If the aim is to be a community of like-minded individuals, then we need to stop allowing those in a position of advantage to have free run of the place. I know this may rustle some jimmies, especially if you, the reader, are one of those individuals. Maybe you have a coveted item that is in high demand and commands a healthy resale price. Come here and talk about it, brag about yourself, whatever. Just don't try to auction it of or turn it for a profit. From whom are you profiting? From your neighbor, that is who. I don't care if he is willing to pay what you are asking, and you are just facilitating the process. Do it somewhere else.

If you have an item that you really don't know how to place a value on, throw it up on eBay and let it ride. You will find out what it is worth there. eBay has protections in place for both buyer and seller. eBay is well established. eBay has rules. This forum is not an auction site. The staff should not be tasked with the full-time operation of auctions, period.

And the so-called "threadcrapping" is not the problem. Posts like "GLWS" which bump the thread are tolerated. Posts which call into question the seller's motives are not. If you look back through any of my own personal sales threads, you will see that I tolerate a fair bit of threadcrapping, because I have nothing to hide. If someone has a question, I will answer it. If someone is being rude, I call them on it and ask them politely to GTFO of my thread. People who constantly report threadcrapping to the moderators are the sellers who are looking to profit off fellow forum members, and don't like being called out for it. They can't handle questions about their pricing, because they know it's not fair. So, to those that say threadcrapping is the problem with auctions, I say it's a symptom of shady dealings, not the cause of the "auction problem."

It would be much easier on everyone, including GH staff, to simply ban on-site auctions, and relegate them to eBay or similar. And sale threads probably need to be approved before they go live, to ensure that people aren't trying to circumvent rules.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it.

I am in full agreement with you. However, I think that our opinions may be too "radical" compared to users who feel that auctions should be allowed. Thus, a consensus will eventually have to be reached. But, before people decide whether they want auctions or not, they need to understand what their goal for this forum is to be: a community or a keyboard-related market.

Auctions are usually held when people don't know what to sell an item for... they want the "market" at that moment to decide the value.

The issue I find is that it is all too flawed when it comes to what people do here at GH.

There's noobs and vets and hackers galore... then there's a strange set of people only invested into this place for the chance to buy something which will be worth money.

Money is a funny thing... it keeps this place running and it also sees some of the most amazing people I've met through hard times.

Most of the auctions or raffles I've seen which make this place seem... I don't know, less dark and rancid... happen to help others, change things, or make something happen.

The thing that makes this place seem as bad as a pedophile is that an artist puts his stuff up for retail value, sell-out lotto, and then people immediately auction to profit...the piece of art not even in their hands.  They are scalping winning keyboard art lotto tickets...  Why is this sanctioned activity?

For those of you who want to sell a rare/unique keyboard and don't know how to even begin to price it: put it up on eBay. You will probably end up getting more for it on eBay since your keyboard will be seen by a larger, worldwide audience. Other than that, I think that auctions done on the forum only serve to hurt the community as a whole (while benefiting the individual seller).

I feel much sympathy for the creators of these keycaps. Like Binge just stated, the creator of the item gets a slap in the face when jerks go around immediately reselling these items. Is this how the community wishes to see those who create the things we love to put on our keyboard?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:03:11 »
classifieds is such a cluster**** it's ridiculous. it's easily GH's most active sub and the least moderated. seems mods/admins are more worried about how many times tp4 mentions ergodox than the sub where money is exchanged.

The classifieds have always been a very hands-off place, per iMav's desire.  But I feel like his desire has become unrealistic in light of the now quite large size of the forum and what its marketplace culture has become.

I like a lot of what has been said in here, especially:

1. Require recent photos of every item posted for sale (perhaps even semi-formal sticky note verification showing username and date).
2. Require a stated price.  Beef up "what is it worth?" resources if necessary.
3. Segregate auctions to a separate subforum.  Linking to your own ebay auction would be allowed, and maybe for special cases we could allow on-site auctions for charity or site fund-raising.

I don't feel like we need to clamp down on discussion within sale threads.  The normal rules against personal attacks and thread derailment should do just fine.

This thread is just depressing and is by itself proof that something needs to change.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:12:48 »

The classifieds have always been a very hands-off place, per iMav's desire.  But I feel like his desire has become unrealistic in light of the now quite large size of the forum and what its marketplace culture has become.

1. Require recent photos of every item posted for sale (perhaps even semi-formal sticky note verification showing username and date).
3. Segregate auctions to a separate subforum.  Linking to your own ebay auction would be allowed, and maybe for special cases we could allow on-site auctions for charity or site fund-raising.

I don't feel like we need to clamp down on discussion within sale threads.  The normal rules against personal attacks and thread derailment should do just fine.

This thread is just depressing and is by itself proof that something needs to change.

I think this sums up my thoughts nicely.

And I like the idea of ebay, as long as people can still link to their ebay auctions somewhere on this site.  If I didn't have a way to be notified of all the sales/auctions I would be pretty bummed (can't check ebay every day for keyboard related things).

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:14:46 »

I do apologise for the propriety in a serious auction :))

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:25:32 »

I think this sums up my thoughts nicely.

And I like the idea of ebay, as long as people can still link to their ebay auctions somewhere on this site.  If I didn't have a way to be notified of all the sales/auctions I would be pretty bummed (can't check ebay every day for keyboard related things).

I agree with this as well.  A separate subforum similar to the online deals thread with specified info in the OP that pertains to the link. 

The addition of the username and date (handwritten or on a screen in the background) is a great way to make the seller more conscious of the sale that they are preparing.  It also removes a lot of wasted posts for people asking for pics.   
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:36:44 »

Well said, sir, well said!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:42:01 »

Yes, this is perfect.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline brialona

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:42:11 »
auctions should be disallowed.  This is a forum not an auction site and i believe the consequences do not outweigh the benefits.  there should just be a subforum that links to auctions offsite.  auctions are just a way to take advantage of other members here/make a profit at the expense of others
ozil

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 23:43:03 »
The addition of the username and date (handwritten or on a screen in the background) is a great way to make the seller more conscious of the sale that they are preparing.  It also removes a lot of wasted posts for people asking for pics.   
`
Yeah this is a brilliant idea. Anyone can post up a two paragraph thread with something for sale, it takes actual time and forethought to take the photos etc.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 00:53:54 »
I feel like the main problem with the threads we have been seeing latley is that these CC's are being auctioned off BEFORE THEY EVEN GET THE ITEM.

That means that they went into the purchase or lottery from Elitekeyboards with the intention of selling the item for a higher cost.

It just really saddens me when the people that are selling these keycaps dont give a damn about them, they just look for the profit.

I understand the argument that there is a certain urge to sell once you see how much the cap can fetch on the classifieds, and i get that people can spend their disposable income however they want.

HOWEVER, If we saw a website start up ( call it cc sales.com ) that purchased every click clack they possibly could, winning lottery's, auto-checking 4grabs, to get as many cc's at the original price point as possible *23 dollars or so*
only to turn around and sell them on ( cc sales.com) for auction prices *150 or so* simply to profit off someone elses work, wouldn't you be at least a little upset?

To some extent, this is at least the beginnings of that kind of market, at least in my eyes.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:01:18 »
auctions are fine, its the attitudes that arent
This.  Auctions are NEVER a problem unless a Clack is involved, and usually only if its a newer member.  Nobody batted an eye when tsangan auction his Clacks off for $4k or whatever it was.  How about people mind their own ****ing business.  If someone owns the damn cap they have the right to sell it, and if someone wants the Clack so bad then they can pay what they want.  Supply and demand people.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:06:27 by MKULTRA »

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:06:26 »
No one knows how to bid during an auction. It could be a 3 day auction starting at $1 and the third bid will be $50 and then the next $150. What the ****, it's 3 days long and it starts at $1. Has no one used ebay before?

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:08:28 »
I guess it's really up to the manufacturer/ distributor to do what it takes to reduce/deter insta-flippers. (blacklist them, etc)

Is it difficult to not have the basic decency to keep a clack and at least pretend you bought it because you wanted it for a few weeks before you flip it for 5x the amount(as starting bid)?!

There's really nothing we can do to stop people from flipping them immediately(except for not selling to them in the first place), but it really grinds my gears when someone checks his mail, realize he won a clack, and instantly heads for classifieds.

Totally agree on the marketplace/community stand.

Realistically speaking it's not wrong for people to insta-flip. It's just a **** move.

I really wonder how CC feels about how his CCs are being treated

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:13:28 »
This.  Auctions are NEVER a problem unless a Clack is involved, and usually only if its a newer member.  Nobody batted an eye when tsangan auction his Clacks off for $4k or whatever it was.  How about people mind their own ****ing business.  If someone owns the damn cap they have the right to sell it, and if someone wants the Clack so bad then they can pay what they want.  Supply and demand people.

Well then sir, CC sales.com is for you!

we buy the clacks so you can buy the clacks for more!

Please. Acting like it isnt a problem is delusional.

I feel bad for CC honestly, others are profiting on his work with none of their own put into it.

Having a bad day?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:17:53 »

I feel bad for CC honestly, others are profiting on his work with none of their own put into it.
If he cared then he would stop doing it, or sell them at that price himself.  If a ****ing piece of plastic is worth $30 to somebody and $200 to somebody else who are we to tell them that they can't sell it?  That is just moronic.  Is it maybe wrong that people enter the sale with the sole purpose of reselling?  Yeah maybe, but life isn't fair.  If you want the Clack so bad then pay what somebody else is willing to pay.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:20:10 »

If he cared then he would stop doing it, or sell them at that price himself.  If a ****ing piece of plastic is worth $30 to somebody and $200 to somebody else who are we to tell them that they can't sell it?  That is just moronic.  Is it maybe wrong that people enter the sale with the sole purpose of reselling?  Yeah maybe, but life isn't fair.  If you want the Clack so bad then pay what somebody else is willing to pay.

And this is where opinions differ. I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't be profiteering off of other members, this is a community not the local flea market.

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:24:10 »
And this is where opinions differ. I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't be profiteering off of other members, this is a community not the local flea market.

Great opinion, so why don't you and Kangaroo thread crap every thread that has a dissenting opinion. That'll teach'em. Seems like someone is just straight up bitter about a PIECE OF PLASTIC.

DUCKY TKL MX BLACK | HHKB PRO 2 | BEAST PH&LACEWOOD

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:26:56 »

Great opinion, so why don't you and Kangaroo thread crap every thread that has a dissenting opinion. That'll teach'em. Seems like someone is just straight up bitter about a PIECE OF PLASTIC.

I'm not fussed to be honest however this thread is asking for our opinions on recent happenings so I'm more than welcome to give my opinion. Why so defensive?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:29:28 »
That's okay mate, make me out to be the bitter one. Anyone with half a brain can see what you're doing is morally wrong. If you can live with yourself then that's all that matters really.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:32:58 »
My biggest problem is shaming the seller.  It is not the sellers fault that prices are so high on Clacks (and lets be real here, this is not a problem when the auction does not relate to clacks) it is the buyers.  If somebody is willing to pay $150 for it rather than $40, you are out of your mind to not take the higher offer.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:37:40 »

we were kinda told to come here.

this is the thread that was made so that we dont threadcrap you.

we're merley discussing the problems created by the kind of auctions popping up right now.

Having a bad day?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:42:02 »
No-one should be able to use the excuse "What's it worth" when they just bought a certain keycap for around $30 it's worth exactly what you paid for it, or maybe a little less because it's now second hand.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:45:20 »
No-one should be able to use the excuse "What's it worth" when they just bought a certain keycap for around $30 it's worth exactly what you paid for it, or maybe a little less because it's now second hand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Demand

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:47:49 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_record
Having a bad day?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:49:30 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_record
Maybe if you people would get it through your thick skulls I would stop saying it.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:49:43 »
My biggest problem is shaming the seller.  It is not the sellers fault that prices are so high on Clacks (and lets be real here, this is not a problem when the auction does not relate to clacks) it is the buyers.  If somebody is willing to pay $150 for it rather than $40, you are out of your mind to not take the higher offer.

Nubbinator could've sold his hack orange for more, but on good principals he didn't. I don't think he's out of his mind. Maybe in an economic sense, but he's got his morals and sticks to them and that's how we should all act in a perfect world. But alas, we are here. lol

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:52:59 »

Nubbinator could've sold his hack orange for more, but on good principals he didn't. I don't think he's out of his mind. Maybe in an economic sense, but he's got his morals and sticks to them and that's how we should all act in a perfect world. But alas, we are here. lol
Thats good for him!  He did something great for the community, and there is nothing wrong with that.  That does not mean that everybody must do that.  There are people willing to pay $200 for a clack, so how about we ****ing let them.

I do however support many of the things stated in this thread, only posting a thread if you have an item in hand, must have pictures of item w/ timestamp, etc...

I mean come on this thread wasn't THAT long ago

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47607.0

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 01:55:47 »

Thats good for him!  He did something great for the community, and there is nothing wrong with that.  That does not mean that everybody must do that.  There are people willing to pay $200 for a clack, so how about we ****ing let them.

I do however support many of the things stated in this thread, only posting a thread if you have an item in hand, must have pictures of item w/ timestamp, etc...

I mean come on this thread wasn't THAT long ago

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47607.0

That is my main problem, Selling an item before you have it implies that you bought it simply to profit from it.
Having a bad day?

Offline keymaster

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 02:02:28 »

Nubbinator's actions (along with a few other sensible users) should be replicated more often. Again, is this forum for the betterment of the community or for those who seek to turn GH into an eBay for keyboards?

It seems that many either sway towards the sense of community or towards not really caring as long as they're able to sell items for whatever price they wish.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 02:02:47 »
No one had a problem with auctions until the EK CC drawings, goodnight!

Offline keymaster

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 02:08:11 »

I hardly doubt that. I didn't bother stating my opinion before since there was no involvement from the mod team on the issue until now. If I had replied in an auction or created my own thread bashing auctions, I'd be flamed by those who seek to benefit from the status quo of the classifieds section.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 02:34:26 »
Edited for slightly less hostile post.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 November 2013, 02:37:51 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 03:26:55 »
All the points here about moving auctions to eBay to fix this problem are just lying to themselves.
 Just look at all the threads in great find forums about clacks on eBay and people trying to figure out who the hell is the member selling the clack, or criticizing how expensive it is.

I vote stop auctions altogether on the forums, institute a classified rule similar to ocn or evga forums where forum name, real name, date and picture must be shown of the item. All sales must be a set price, 1 bump every 24hr only, only comments related to the sale of the item allowed in the thread. This'll clean up a bunch of your problems.
But of course this'll bring up the previous discussion we had about what's thread crapping with people posting price comparisons.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 04:03:05 »
People who enter EK and 4Grabs sales with the intention to promptly flip their winnings for cash. **** you, you are a cancer on this community. A teratoma with mashed potato teeth that radiate greed and ignorance. Some people go months, even years simply trying their luck and consistently walk away empty handed. I believe these profiteering scumbags should do this community and actual Clack lovers a favor and delete their GH accounts forever. You are just taking away something that would be appreciated by someone else for your own blatant selfish reasons, and ought to be black listed from future sales.

And to be clear, for those who enter and win a Topre to trade for MX or vise versa I have no issue with.

^ That is how I feel about Clack flipping. It's a disgusting practice.

Most auctions I take no issue with. Then again, most auctions are within spitting distance of the value or original price of the object on the block. Only the greedy profiteering that is a detriment to the community (namely Clack flipping,) the market, and the growth of GH as a forum. That is a cancer. A disease that is self-serving, single minded, and selfish to everyone else.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 November 2013, 04:08:32 by noisyturtle »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 07:14:46 »
Yea, I have to agree with what a lot of people are saying. Sure, auctioning the Clacks for profit is technically within the rules, but it's still not a very nice thing to do. People are auctioning them, because they are allowed within the rules. So if we, as a community, want the Clack auctioning/profiteering to stop, we've got to make Clack auctioning against the rules (ie. outright ban them).

It doesn't even have to be an across-the-board banning of all auctions. I even think it's perfectly fair to allow general auctions, while banning Clack auctions specifically. The administrators' rationale for it can be that auctions of other goods are generally well-intended, while Clack auctions tend to be harmful to the community. That's just my two cents.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 November 2013, 07:20:22 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 07:29:03 »

Oh, really?

On the subject of auctions, I have said before that I believe auctions should always be handled off-site. eBay has protections setup for buyer and seller, and their bidding system is well-known. GH as a forum doesn't have the resources to deal with auctions.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 08:24:07 »
I realize people have had auctions for legitimate reasons etc but it's like everything else around here some people get away with stuff because of 'who' they are, nobody says anything.

IF things change they need to apply to everyone equally.

Also on regular classifieds threads, is there any consensus on having one thread to sell/buy 5 items versus having 5 threads to buy/sell 1 item each?

And what about addressing the classifieds threads where they turn into a chat fest that have nothing to do with the sale and/or again, depending on 'who' is selling/buying the continuous bumping for pointless reasons is tolerated, but should it be?

* spamray is as quilty as anyone with concern to most everything being discussed, just trying to have a productive discussion, might as well get it all out there at once and deal with it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 08:32:37 »
I realize people have had auctions for legitimate reasons etc but it's like everything else around here some people get away with stuff because of 'who' they are, nobody says anything.

IF things change they need to apply to everyone equally.

Agreed. Rules need to apply to everyone equally. Just because someone is an established member, a vendor, a moderator, or an admin, the rules should still apply.

Also on regular classifieds threads, is there any consensus on having one thread to sell/buy 5 items versus having 5 threads to buy/sell 1 item each?

Personally, I don't care either way. I don't think this is an issue.

And what about addressing the classifieds threads where they turn into a chat fest that have nothing to do with the sale and/or again, depending on 'who' is selling/buying the continuous bumping for pointless reasons is tolerated, but should it be?

* spamray is as quilty as anyone with concern to most everything being discussed, just trying to have a productive discussion, might as well get it all out there at once and deal with it.

Meaninless posts, such as "GLWS!" should be treated as spam and deleted by the mods. Legitimate discussion should be allowed. Flaming and/or trolling should be dealt with accordingly. Otherwise, it's up to the OP to keep his/her thread under control.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 08:40:08 »
Meaninless posts, such as "GLWS!" should be treated as spam and deleted by the mods. Legitimate discussion should be allowed. Flaming and/or trolling should be dealt with accordingly. Otherwise, it's up to the OP to keep his/her thread under control.

Specifically I'm thinking of threads where it seems like the OP and a few of their 'buddies' just chit chat about nothing to keep the thread bumped continuously.