Author Topic: o-rings for Quickfire TK  (Read 2093 times)

Offline MasterBash

o-rings for Quickfire TK
« on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 09:16:23 »
I just ordered my Quickfire TK with Cherry MX Red. Right now, I got a Logitech G710+ with MX Browns and o-rings but they still make a lot of noise.
http://cdn.overclock.net/d/d1/500x1000px-LL-d174fd4e_2012-10-15_17-32-51_644.jpeg

My first priority is to eliminate as much noise as possible. What should I buy? Should they be soft or hard?

The second thing I want to do is to bottom out near the activation point. That way I don't have to go all the way and release the key. Would stacking multiple o-rings do the job while keeping it quiet?

I would like something thats good quality and not too expensive. I am in Canada, hopefully I can find a store that can ship them here.

Thanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: o-rings for Quickfire TK
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 09:18:08 »

Offline MasterBash

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 09:48:58 »
Thanks!

So you said that the red o-rings reduces the noise the most (Do the pink ones reduce the noise as much?) but the pink ones reduces the key travel time a bit more.

Now, I would be very happy with the red o-rings, as they appear to be quiet. Now, Would I keep the same noise reduction if I stacked them? or would I be better with the blue ones?

Another thing is that you mentionned it stops mid-click (the blue ones). I am guessing you meant the bump right? In that case, are the keys registered 100% or does it bottom out without registering keys at times?
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 09:56:36 by MasterBash »

Offline Mystery AKA.NastyFan

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 09:54:21 »
I really hate that o-rings. they devastate the experience of Switches in some way.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 09:56:10 »
1) Now, I would be very happy with the red o-rings, as they appear to be quiet. Now, Would I keep the same noise reduction if I stacked them? or would I keep better with the blue ones?

2) Another thing is that you mentionned it stops mid-click (the blue ones). I am guessing you meant the bump right? In that case, are the keys registered 100% or does it bottom out without registering keys at times?

1) Stacking them feels bad so I wouldn't try that. Just my opinion though.

2) The keys register fine. Just changes how much it travels.

Offline MasterBash

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 09:58:30 »
Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Apologize to bother you again, as I edited not long before you replied to me so I am not sure if you saw the modifications.

Can you tell me about the pink o-rings noise reduction? How do they compare with the red ones? Since they are a bit bigger but just as soft, I am guessing it will reduce noise a bit more? Unfortunately it was not mentionned in your review.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 10:00:41 »
Can you tell me about the pink o-rings noise reduction? How do they compare with the red ones? Since they are a bit bigger but just as soft, I am guessing it will reduce noise a bit more? Unfortunately it was not mentionned in your review.

If you're referring to the 40A-R pink o-rings from WASD they are included in my review.

Offline MasterBash

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 10:16:41 »
I must really be retarded, cause I can't find it.

40A-R Pink O-Rings
These are the same as the blue o-rings sold at WASDKeyboards. They really stop actuation quickly; it feels like they stop at the click - almost mid click. They feel the same as the red o-rings when you bottom out. They feel nice but I really dislike how much actuation is cutoff.  - Talking about how they feel.

The videos do not directly compare the red and pinks. They compare one set of o-rings vs none.

At the bottom of the page, you do a quick summary of each of them, except the pink one is missing. You mentionned the Reds have great sound reduction, but no mention about the pink ones.

So I would think, in my opinion, that the pink ones offer just as good noise reduction, if not better? Being squishy and thicker?

The o-rings on my G710+ are 2mm thick, but quite loud. Maybe they are too hard?
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 10:18:41 by MasterBash »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 11:06:17 »
They sell massive packs on them for a few dollars from China on ebay.
You could also practice not bottoming out when typing, it helps speed and accuracy a lot, but would be most difficult on a red.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 11:57:14 »
Ah ok, sorry, missed the party about noise reduction. They're as good as the other one.

Offline MasterBash

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 12:25:41 »
You could also practice not bottoming out when typing, it helps speed and accuracy a lot, but would be most difficult on a red.

I agree, thats one solution. I usually stress a bit in games when moments are tense lol. So I would definitely bottom out in those moments.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 12:29:48 »

I agree, thats one solution. I usually stress a bit in games when moments are tense lol. So I would definitely bottom out in those moments.

Heh, your name isn't Masterbash for no reason.  ;)
If you tend to bottom out hard, perhaps the harder black o-rings might be for you rather than the milder reds.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 23:36:11 »
You could always get a Sampler Kit from WASD - it contains a few of each O-ring so you can try them for yourself.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ