Author Topic: alps frankenstein mod  (Read 1541 times)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
alps frankenstein mod
« on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 15:39:37 »
i've been playing with old apple boards and i came up with a decent feeling switch mod (please note i have not been able to test it on a computer but i dont see why it shouldn't work).

what you need is a dampened cream alps (taken from an AEKII) and a clicky/tactile alps (i have clone white stems, not sure of make). i removed the tactile leaf from the white stem and replaced the slider with the cream switch slider. this provides a very smooth, light linear switch with lower travel than a standard dampened cream alps. the key feels a bit wobbly which i am guessing is due to the lack of tactile leaf.i might play around with bending a tactile leaf into a linear ramp to see if that helps without adding an unwanted amount of actuation force; the lightness feels very good.

also to note, cream alps with the tactile leaf removed feels pretty good too, but it is a bit scratchier feeling than when the slider is placed into the white switch body :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 15:41:50 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
Re: alps frankenstein mod
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 15:34:50 »
I just grabbed an Apple Ergo with low profile Alps, which feel pretty similar to ML switches. I think some lube may very well help with the scratchiness.

As I understand, Alps are naturally a wobbly switch.