Author Topic: apple extended keyboard II  (Read 6185 times)

Offline cmr

apple extended keyboard II
« on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 12:36:29 »
i found an AEK2 today in a forgotten corner of the junkroom! the caps lock button stays down when you press it! this is neat!!

so... is the Griffin Imate the recommended ADB to USB adapter these days? is there even another option?

i've been looking for something with quieter keys and this seems to fit the bill. i can't wait to try this thing out but of course i don't have anything with an ADB port on it.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 12:40:17 »
As far as I know, the iMate is the only option for ADB to PS2.

Offline cmr

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 12:48:26 »
hmmmmm.... the imate page SOUNDS like it's describing USB HID, but without actually saying it... anyone know whether this thing will work for plugging a keyboard into my linux boxes? i'd hate to spend $40 on an adapter if it won't work with my stuff.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 12:51:08 »
I would imagine it might.  I would think it is a self-contained solution soit can work outside of OSX and Windows.  The only thing the PC should see is a USB device (otherwise, how would you be able to do things like get into the BIOS if you had to rely on drivers to work?).

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 12:57:54 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17496
As far as I know, the iMate is the only option for ADB to PS2.

iMAte has nothing to do with PS/2.

And I have an ADB converter with 2 switchable ports (A and B) and USB plug out thats' made by Compucable. I got it from the IT guy at work and I have never seen anything like it before. So others were made, just not many.

Offline cmr

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 13:42:34 »
alrighty i ordered the griffin thing

i'll report back with linux results later!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 13:43:52 »
Quote from: xsphat;17499
iMAte has nothing to do with PS/2.

And I have an ADB converter with 2 switchable ports (A and B) and USB plug out thats' made by Compucable. I got it from the IT guy at work and I have never seen anything like it before. So others were made, just not many.

Sorry about that on the PS/2.  In my subsequent post, I did identify that it adapted ADB to USB, though.  Hectic day at work, but I was trying to keep my priorities in line by posting here. :P

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 14:01:49 »
cmr, let us know what you think of the aekii :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline lam47

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 14:03:42 »
Is it the one that has the same cream ALPS as the SGI?
Because the SGI is my current favourite. The feel of the switches is lovely and they don't keep Ella up at night.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 14:16:41 »
Quote from: lam47;17504

I think so. In theory the two have the same switches. :)

Because the SGI is my current favourite. The feel of the switches is lovely and they don't keep Ella up at night.

Ya i love them too. Any alps board I get, I would immediately stick these dampers-sliders into it.

p.s., I like your avatar too ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline cmr

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 14:20:40 »
Quote from: lam47;17504

i can't say for sure whether they're identical, but the keyswitches are labeled "ALPS" with cream-colored plastic stems. they look identical to those pictured in the SGI Granite thread, except they are mounted rotated 90 degrees to the left in this keyboard.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 14:31:59 »
I would still like some rubber dampers for my Alps 'boards. :(

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 14:39:31 »
I don't like the feel of the rubber dampers. Only the function row keys are mounted sideways in my Apple Extended II. Interestingly, the PCB has the ALPS logo:

Offline cmr

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 14:41:31 »
ah okay.  the only key i pulled off was F15/Pause. that's generally the only key i pull off unless i have a reason to because, like, who even uses Pause?

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 15:05:59 »
The numpad Enter was also mounted sideways. I use Pause sometimes.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 15:09:34 »
Quote from: Chloe;17512
Interestingly, the PCB has the ALPS logo:
The SGI is made by ALPS too.

When I got my Ext. II a mouse came with it. Not sure if they originally belonged together but that mouse had a big Alps logo on the pcb too.

It was this one, ADB though:

Pic is from this page about a mod that puts modern usb hardware into it.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 15:19:38 »
those mice...bring back bad memories of old macs that sucked donkey dongs, at least pick up a half decent one, lol.  I've even got a kensington adb trackball and have never owned an adb piece of equipment.

Offline lam47

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 15:27:40 »
Quote from: Chloe;17512
I don't like the feel of the rubber dampers. Only the function row keys are mounted sideways in my Apple Extended II. Interestingly, the PCB has the ALPS logo:

Yes you do course you do ;)

The SGI had them all mounted horizontally. Its Gods way.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 15:38:56 »
Quote from: cmr;17513
ah okay.  the only key i pulled off was F15/Pause. that's generally the only key i pull off unless i have a reason to because, like, who even uses Pause?

If you are running a query in MS Access (yuck), you can stop it by pressing pause/break.  Also, some DOS activities use the pause button (like running "dir" on a big directory, for example).

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 15:47:07 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17510
I would still like some rubber dampers for my Alps 'boards. :(

lol itln. Maybe you should try for another aekii on ebay. I think you would probably like the dampers ;)  Want me to send you one (ie, a single damper) so you can try it out and see if you want them?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 15:54:26 »
Nah.  I just ordered a Cherry brown board (Compaq), so I am going to try that for awhile.  If I don't like it, I might try for an SGI.  I really like the Dells, and I have been using them for quite some time with little to no pain, so since the SGI is practically identical, I might wait for one to show up on ebay.

Offline cmr

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 15:57:45 »
oh yeah there was a mouse plugged into this one too. but i don't have any use for an apple mouse so i left it behind in the junkroom.

Offline dougy

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 21:07:07 »
Dunno if this applies, but the Griffin works fine running Linux in a vm on a Mac.

My trouble with the AEKII is that they are so honking big. Seems like you have to move your whole body to reach the mouse. I gave up on them years ago and went with the Apple Adjustable Keyboard. The switches on that were terrible, but at least the size was manageable.

Offline cmr

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 20:44:19 »
my ADB to USB adapter arrived today. for anyone who may have been wondering, the aekii works (almost) flawlessly with the griffin imate plugged into a linux box. the apple logo keys send Super_L and Super_R, which means they're not quite in the place i'd expected them, but ctrl, alt, and "logo" function as labeled.

num lock works 123456
CAPS LOCK WORKS!
scroll lock doesn't seem to work.
printscreen works.
the power button doesn't seem to send anything according to xev.

Offline cmr

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 25 January 2009, 16:23:29 »
so... any tips on how to clean this board? i doubt it's ever been cleaned; i think it was just hooked up to a mac desktop that had been pressed into service as a server and then ignored for a decade.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 25 January 2009, 16:40:41 »
I'd start by removing all the keycaps and washing them in soapy water. If you want to be thorough it's best to take it apart completely for dusting etc. I use a vacuum cleaner attachment for this. You can use isopropyl alcohol to clean the metal plate after dusting.

The case snaps together on all sides except for the back where there is one screw. I used three knives to pry it open.

Once the upper casing is removed you can see the keyboard assembly is held down at the top by two plastic clips. Unclip these first, then pry a small screwdriver between the rubber strip and teeth on the metal plate at the bottom to remove the keyboard completely.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 January 2009, 18:58:01 »
This sounds familiar.  :-D

http://memories.wingedwheel.net/main.php?g2_itemId=720

The full-res pictures may give you a decent clue how it all pieces back together.
Crap collects in all the crevices and I'll tell you this much...if you don't tear it down 100%, don't even pop a keycap off.  If you do tear it down 100%, you may be sorry you got a used keyboard.  

Disinfect that germ-puppy!

My original review of mine AEK2:  http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=578
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 January 2009, 19:08:41 »
Quote from: ashort;19631
If you do tear it down 100%, you may be sorry you got a used keyboard.

So true. When I took mine apart I was thinking to myself, "This is the last used keyboard I'll ever buy." Still, it's been a good cheap board for ALPS mods.

Offline cmr

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 25 January 2009, 23:04:06 »
thanks to both of you for the tips & photos

Offline hotswank

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 February 2009, 14:07:44 »
I would like to add the Apple Extended II uses at least 2 different switches during it's life-span: both are white Alps but (my) the '89 version clicks only if released while (my) the '95 build clicks on both press and released. Unless of course, ALL my '89 switches are so worn out they do not click on press any more...

I also have an Apple Adjustable Keyboard from 1992 in very good condition for sale with iMate ADB-USB converter (check marketplace soon) with (unknown to me) white -slightly softer, less travel and no clicks- switches compared to the white Alps from the II's.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 February 2009, 14:14:16 »
Quote from: hotswank;22269
I also have an Apple Adjustable Keyboard from 1992 in very good condition for sale (check marketplace soon) with (unknown to me) white -slightly softer, less travel and no clicks- switches compared to the white Alps from the II's.

404 on the pics.

Which type of Alps switch is in the Adjustable? It has a different casing than the typical complicated switch. I tried to open one that has a broken stem or something but couldn't. Any ideas?

Edit: It is listed as low-profile in the wiki. Case and stem look different than my T5200 though.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 February 2009, 14:15:59 »
Quote from: hotswank;22269
Where have the pictures gone??

You have to remove one "moregraphics.nl" from the pic url.

Offline hotswank

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 20 February 2009, 14:25:17 »
FIXED ... FireFTPcopyURLthingy ...

Offline skriefal

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 February 2009, 17:56:45 »
The Adjustable is a rubber dome board, isn't it?

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 February 2009, 17:57:52 »

Offline hotswank

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 20 February 2009, 19:52:48 »
Quote from: lowpoly;22270
Edit: It is listed as low-profile in the wiki. Case and stem look different than my T5200 though.

Perhaps it just means it has less travel (3.5 mm) compared to the bigfoot Alps?

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 23 February 2009, 23:49:19 »
I'll note that that 89 AEK2 has Alps creams, not whites.

Creams aren't clicky, just tactile. And, in this case, they're damped.

Offline cmr

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 23 February 2009, 23:50:09 »
okay, now it makes sense why the focus is sooo much louder

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 24 February 2009, 03:16:16 »
Quote from: lowpoly;22270

The low profile switches in the Toshiba T5200 are an earlier type.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 24 February 2009, 04:09:24 »
Ah, thanks.

Offline cmr

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 15 June 2009, 14:06:28 »
this appears to send nonstandard scancodes and on ubuntu it confuses X enough that i can't set a compose key. disappointing.