Author Topic: Suntouch K101  (Read 4186 times)

Offline rio

Suntouch K101
« on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 03:51:51 »
I was at the 2nd hand store to scope out their keyboards in hope of finding a Model M.

What I found instead is a little number called the Siig Suntouch K101.

It looks very much like a Model M, but it uses White Alps, I believe. I took it apart and did a little cleaning, but it's in great shape for it's age (unless it's a lot newer than I think it is.)

Anyone know anything at all about this board? I've done some searching, but can't find a lot of info. Siig is still around, though I don't know that they make much in terms of boards.

Also, I'm new here. Hello!

Thanks!

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Suntouch K101
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 09:11:25 »
Nice find. Do you have pictures or the part number and FCC ID? There is also a Suntouch Junior with 81 keys but I don't know if this has ALPS. SIIG made only a few keyboards with ALPS switches. I think the Suntouch K101 was also known as Supertouch (JK-WJ0032).

The Supertouch 104 (JK-ALW013) may have ALPS. At some point the MiniTouch (JK-A10032) was replaced with the BTC-5100 with rubber domes.

Offline rio

Suntouch K101
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 11:35:31 »
Thanks. Yeah, I meant to snap some shots last night. Will get some up shortly.

Offline rio

Suntouch K101
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 12:38:28 »
Alright, some pics!

http://connary.com/keys/

Sorry for the poor quality. Under the keys, the key mechanisms do say Alps, but you can't tell from the pictures.

I also threw in some pictures of a lovely NEC PC-8801mkII keyboard. I love the thing, and I wish I could find a way to use it on a modern system. I have the computer it's from (very powerful and fun 80's gaming computer, mostly!) and it works great there, but the plug is a 5-pin mini-DIN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MiniDIN-5_Diagram.svg). I have no clue how to hook this up to anything besides the PC-8801 itself, but the build quality is lovely, and the keys have a very deep and soft sounding click to them, very un-metallic. I also have no clue what kind of switches those are. :) Any leads at all on an adapter or mod would be superb...

PS: Yes, that's an Apple White Fishtank of Dust you see in the background. Don't worry, it's on it's way out, being replaced by a Filco Full-Size Brown. :D

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Suntouch K101
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 13:12:38 »
Wow, that NEC is awesome. I would love to have a 'board like that (if I could get it to play nice on the MacBook).

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Suntouch K101
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 13:22:48 »
The Suntouch looks like a rebranded Chicony KB-5181. Can you confirm it says this on the casing in this picture?

Offline rio

Suntouch K101
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 13:29:52 »
Quote from: Chloe;17768
The Suntouch looks like a rebranded Chicony KB-5181. Can you confirm it says this on the casing in this picture?
Ah, that is it. Thanks for your help. :D
I got it for $1. I assume that's a good deal? :P

Quote from: xsphat;17766
Wow, that NEC is awesome. I would love to have a 'board like that (if I could get it to play nice on the MacBook).
*sob* Me too...me too...I'm dying to find a way. I love that board.

Offline lowpoly

Suntouch K101
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 14:44:29 »
Quote from: rio;17762
I also threw in some pictures of a lovely NEC PC-8801mkII keyboard. I love the thing, and I wish I could find a way to use it on a modern system. I have the computer it's from (very powerful and fun 80's gaming computer, mostly!) and it works great there, but the plug is a 5-pin mini-DIN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MiniDIN-5_Diagram.svg). I have no clue how to hook this up to anything besides the PC-8801 itself, but the build quality is lovely, and the keys have a very deep and soft sounding click to them, very un-metallic. I also have no clue what kind of switches those are. :) Any leads at all on an adapter or mod would be superb...

Something like this might work:

Converting a Toshiba T5200 laptop keyboard to USB

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline rio

Suntouch K101
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 16:05:38 »
Quote from: lowpoly;17781
Something like this might work:

Converting a Toshiba T5200 laptop keyboard to USB

Very nice work. I really don't know much about the internals of keyboards, so I'd probably mess something like that up. But I'm itching enough to get the NEC board working on a modern computer, maybe I'll start learning.