Author Topic: Cheapest RELIABLE keyboard with Cherry Blues  (Read 26391 times)

Offline lal

Cheapest RELIABLE keyboard with Cherry Blues
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 19 March 2009, 12:32:54 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;24920

I've spent quite a lot of money on three keyboard in two months, but I'm very happy. I should avoid buying any keyboard for a while now...

I've said this numerous times already and currently I'm still high on the new M mini, but I'm feeling the cold turkey coming... ;)
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 19 March 2009, 12:37:13 »
Quote from: lal;24925
I've said this numerous times already and currently I'm still high on the new M mini, but I'm feeling the cold turkey coming... ;)

LOL. I think I'll start buying $10 Mitsumi keyboards.

Offline patrickgeekhack

After a few hours
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 19 March 2009, 21:38:54 »
This is just my personal opinion.

The bad:

1. The keyboard does not seem to be as solidly built as the Dell AT101W or the Customizer 104 (although I had some short circuit problems with this one).
2. Backspace, Enter, right Shift, and numerical keypad +, and spacebar are a bit stiff, especially the spacebar when pressed with my left thumb.

The good:

1. I like the feel of the switches (for the keys not metioned above). They feel and sound different from my Customizer 104 and my AT101W.  It's nice to have different types of key switches. It like not having to eat the same dish every day.
2. The look. I don't care much about the Chinese characters on the keys, since I don't look at them when I type. But,  I like the simple and elegant design.

Grey area:

1. The concave F and J keys will take some getting used to. I would have preferred the bumps, but that's not a big deal. I'll get used to them.

All in all, I love this keyboard. It's like I have three kids now. I'm happy to see my Dell AT101W when I get to the office in the morning, and I'm happy to see my Customizer and my Cherry keyboards in the evening. Of course, I'm happier to see my daughter and my wife :)

Offline lam47

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 20 March 2009, 14:06:59 »
The space bar will be a cherry green. They are a stiffer spring than the rest.
The bigger keys might feel stiff due to the metal bracket underneath. You could try a little grease on it to free it up a bit.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 20 March 2009, 14:24:10 »
Quote from: lam47;24989
The space bar will be a cherry green. They are a stiffer spring than the rest.
The bigger keys might feel stiff due to the metal bracket underneath. You could try a little grease on it to free it up a bit.

Thanks. I try to avoid removing keys with a metal bracket underneath them :( I'll just try to get use to them. Over time, they should loosen up a bit.

Offline patrickgeekhack

By the way...
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 20 March 2009, 15:56:45 »
Service from geminicomputers.com was fast. As they promised, I did not have to pay a single cent more for custom broker fee. And shipping was cheap: USD $10.00. My only complaint is how they packed the keyboard. It was not the best way to do it for sure. Thank God it arrived safe and sound.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 21 March 2009, 19:19:00 »
Quote from: lal;24925

I think I spoke too fast. Initially, I wanted to have a buckling spring, an Apls, and a Cherry blue. I now have all three. Yet, I'm finding myself wanting a SpaceSaver...I'm too greedy.

The funny thing is I can only use one keyboard at a time. When I have the Customizer plugged in, I like it and then find myself wanting the Cherry. And when I have the Cherry plugged in, it's the opposite that happens. Too many choices causes paralysis (Barry Schwartz). If all I could have is one keyboard, I would have been very happy. Now, instead of being happier with my two keyboards (the Dell is at work), I'm not :)

Offline nerp

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 21 March 2009, 22:19:50 »
I bought a M, Customizer 104 and a SpaceSaver is arriving Monday. I need to stop. It's bad enough that I can buy three buckling spring boards. If I start trying to test out other types of switches, I'll be in serious trouble.
U N I.C O M P - Am I the only one that likes the logo?

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 21 March 2009, 22:27:10 »
Quote from: nerp;25035
I bought a M, Customizer 104 and a SpaceSaver is arriving Monday. I need to stop. It's bad enough that I can buy three buckling spring boards. If I start trying to test out other types of switches, I'll be in serious trouble.

Indeed, you have a big problem :) Are not most of us, if not all, on this forum have the same problem? In my case, all I wanted was ONE mechanical keyboard. Two months later, I've bought three. This forum is really bad :)

I'll probably end up buying a SpaceSaver, but I have a big project coming. I'll see in what shape I will be financially after it's completed. I hope Unicomp will still be in business by then.

Offline ozar

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 21 March 2009, 22:30:25 »
Quote from: nerp;25035

nerp, how long from order until delivery, if you don't mind me asking?

I ordered a black spacesaver and a set of blank black keys from Unicomp a week ago but haven't heard anything back, yet.  They told me over the phone that it would be shipped the next day.

Back on subject... I'd like to have one of those Cherry boards that is the subject of this thread, but they have a pretty big footprint on the desktop and I'm looking for smaller keyboards these days.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 21 March 2009, 22:39:53 »
Quote from: ozar;25037
Back on subject... I'd like to have one of those Cherry boards that is the subject of this thread, but they have a pretty big footprint on the desktop and I'm looking for smaller keyboards these days.

There are not the smallest keyboards indeed. But, in my case, when compared to my Customizer, I lose about 1 inch wide, and 0.5 inch deep.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 22 March 2009, 11:41:23 »
You'll forgive the size once you get a chance to use it :P.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 24 March 2009, 12:24:10 »
Quote from: itlnstln;24271
FKSSR, try this contact info.  She'll be glad you called.  (You might want to tell her you're from GeekHack) :)

Loree L. Rolnick
Sales Director
DataCal Enterprises
1345 N. Mondel Dr
Gilbert, AZ 85233
480-813-3108 Phone
480-813-3280 Fax

lrolnick@datacal.com
http://www.datacal.com

I placed a call with Loree just now, got hooked up with a special price (education discount), and got me a G80-3000LXVEU-2 (black case, brown Cherrys, US layout) for $107.80 shipped ($7.80 was for shipping).  I'll let you know how it turns out.

On a side note, Loree said that sales increased on this 'board since her contact info and product info was put on this site.  I don't know how many members have bought a 'board from her (I haven't seen anything personally), but it seems we are having an influence somewhere! :D

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 24 March 2009, 16:42:15 »
BTW, if you want one of these 'boards, you will want to hurry.  They only have 14 of them left, and there is about a 14-week lead time for Cherry to manufacture more and ship them to DataCal (remember, these are custom keyboards).

Hello [ItlnStln],

I hope you are well.

I wanted to first thank you for putting me on that web site for the keyboards with the crown switches.  I have sold many of these in the past few weeks.

I am down to only 15 left in stock as of today and wanted to know if you wanted to purchase one of these?

I am waiting on Cherry Germany to see what lead-time is on more of these boards.  Usual lead-time is 14 weeks but could be longer on this custom board.

If you want to purchase one please call me.  800-459-7931 Ext 3108

I accept Visa, Master Card, and American Express.

Thanks

Loree L. Rolnick
Sales Director
DataCal Enterprises
1345 N. Mondel Dr
Gilbert, AZ 85233
480-813-3108 Phone
480-813-3280 Fax

lrolnick@datacal.com
http://www.datacal.com

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 24 March 2009, 16:47:43 »
Quote from: itlnstln;25296
(remember, these are custom keyboards).

Is it because of the Cherry brown switches?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 24 March 2009, 16:48:21 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;25297
Is it because of the Cherry brown switches?

Yes, and in this layout.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 24 March 2009, 16:50:35 »
Quote from: itlnstln;25298
Yes, and in this layout.

I see, I got the one with Chinese characters on them. That being said, I wanted to try a clicky Cherry first. Maybe one day, I'll try the Brown switches. One step at a time.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 25 March 2009, 15:32:46 »
I like the sound and the feedback of my keyboard. However, there seems to be not enough friction between my fingers and the keys. By that I mean, when I'm typing, I feel like my fingers are slipping over the keys.  Does anyone who own a similar keyboard has the same feeling?

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 25 March 2009, 15:38:42 »
The keys do tend to be slippery to the point of frustration, but I noticed that my G83 keys were far more slippery than the ones on the G80.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 25 March 2009, 15:42:28 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;25445
The keys do tend to be slippery to the point of frustration, but I noticed that my G83 keys were far more slippery than the ones on the G80.

Very well said. There are times when frustration can settle in. This is especially true if I use mine after having used either the Dell or the Customizer. But, if I've been using the G80-3000  for a few days, then I start to get used to it.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 25 March 2009, 15:48:32 »
My ML4100 has no texture at all.  It doesn't bother me a whole lot, but I do like well-textured keys.  I can tell some difference.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 25 March 2009, 15:48:52 »
I didn't notice that, but I find that I do tend to type more straight-down than in a raking type motion.  Therefore, slippery keys probably wouldn't mess me up as much.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 25 March 2009, 15:52:54 »
The keys are textured though.  They're roughened in the same way a Teflon-coated frying pan looks rough, but they are slippery precisely because of that.  I have a very old keyboard where the texture has completely worn off and left a glossy polish, and my fingers never slipped on those.  There's probably a better contact between those and very slightly damp fingers.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 09:03:39 »
My new 'board is almost here, and I can hardly wait. :)  It is being delivered to my office, so I should get some use out of it today.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 12:09:53 »
I just got my G80-3000.  It absolutely fantastic.  I'll write up a review when I get a chance to use it a little more.  One thing's for sure, though.  The scooped F and J keys are throwing me off something awful.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 12:24:46 »
I don't mind them really.  Have you noticed if your F and J keys sound different to all the others?  I reckon it's something to do with the shape of the caps.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 12:44:32 »
Yeah, the sliding sound of the F and J keys is slightly higher pitched.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 14:39:54 »
Quote from: itlnstln;25745
I just got my G80-3000.  It absolutely fantastic.  I'll write up a review when I get a chance to use it a little more.  One thing's for sure, though.  The scooped F and J keys are throwing me off something awful.

haha.  yeah, the G80-3000 I had (w/ blues) messed me up with the scooped F and J keys, at first, but you'll get used to it.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 14:49:52 »
Now that I have been typing on it all afternoon, I haven't had much problem having the scooped keys.  My fingers are starting to adjust.  I pretty much forgot about my ABS already. :)  This thing is pretty awesome.  I want to get a Filco, but I kinda like this a little better.  I will probably get one, anyway, and use it at work while the Cherry pulls duty at home.  I really like the Cherry's no-nonsense, industrial style.  People will look at it, and think it's just a cheap-a*s keyboard, but we know the real deal (especially since this thing cost me a little over $100). :)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 14:51:24 »
Ulysses, I see what you mean about the keys being a little slick.  Eventhough, they are textured, they do have sort of a Teflon feel to them.  I am still really enjoying it, though.

Offline CX23882

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 16:32:57 »
Having looked inside my G80-3000LSCGB today, the solder job they've done is very good.  It's certainly better than the photos I've seen of the Scorpius M10.  As for the lack of a cable strain relief thingy on the Cherry G80-3000; it does have one, but it's set back inside the case rather than being on the outside.  There is no way you could pull the cable out any more than you could on a keyboard with it visible outside.  I don't see any reason to pick the Das III over the G80-3000 unless you really need the superior rollover (albeit with issues) of the Das.

That's not to say you won't end up with a Friday-afternoon model if you go for a Cherry, but the majority of people do seem to be happy with theirs.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 16:37:47 »
Quote from: CX23882;25785
As for the lack of a cable strain relief thingy on the Cherry G80-3000; it does have one, but it's set back inside the case rather than being on the outside.  There is no way you could pull the cable out any more than you could on a keyboard with it visible outside.

I think it's less about pulling the cable out but avoiding sharp bends directly at the case.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 21:28:24 »
Quote from: FKSSR;25767
haha.  yeah, the G80-3000 I had (w/ blues) messed me up with the scooped F and J keys, at first, but you'll get used to it.

I'm starting to get used to the scooped F and J. And yes, they do produced a different noise from the other keys.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 21:31:12 »
Quote from: itlnstln;25770
I really like the Cherry's no-nonsense, industrial style.  People will look at it, and think it's just a cheap-a*s keyboard, but we know the real deal (especially since this thing cost me a little over $100). :)

I, too, like the Cherry (and Customizer and AT101W) design. They are no-nonsense like you said. There is nothing fancy about them, yet their simplistic look is what make them look great. They stand out not because they could not add anything more, but rather because there was nothing else to be removed.

Offline Mur

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 16:52:35 »
Quote from: lam47;24691
Cool. Which switches did you go for?
I have blacks in mine as I took the blues out for another board.

Glad you are having fun. Cherry make great boards!
I love the snap together design. Makes modding and cleaning so easy.

Blues :) Yes, the snap together design is wonderful and removing the keys is hassle free.

Quote from: patrickgeekhack;24703
You got yours from geminicomputers.com? I placed an order last Friday, and I'm waiting impatiently for it to arrive.

Sorry about the late response but yes, and it has been nothing but excellent to type on.

Quote from: patrickgeekhack;24993
Service from geminicomputers.com was fast. As they promised, I did not have to pay a single cent more for custom broker fee. And shipping was cheap: USD $10.00. My only complaint is how they packed the keyboard. It was not the best way to do it for sure. Thank God it arrived safe and sound.

LOL, yeah the packaging was a bit weird. The shipping box was four times the size of the keyboard box and it was stuffed with thick paper bags for padding :) I am sure they are used to shipping out huge amounts of stock at once, that might be the reason.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 17:46:37 »
Quote from: Mur;26066

Sorry about the late response but yes, and it has been nothing but excellent to type on.

I agree that it is an excellent keyboard to type on, after I started to get used to the scooped F and J keys and the keys being a bit slippery that is.  That being said, I find myself going back and forth between this keyboard  and my Customizer. I guess one never gets over one's first love :) It louder than a rubber dome, but not as loud as a buckling spring keyboard.

LOL, yeah the packaging was a bit weird. The shipping box was four times the size of the keyboard box and it was stuffed with thick paper bags for padding :) I am sure they are used to shipping out huge amounts of stock at once, that might be the reason.

Exactly. Brown paper bags for padding...what's up with that LOL.

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 31 March 2009, 18:30:11 »
similar question: what is the cheapest keyboard with mx browns that are available NEW in the USA? all the compaq 11800s are used.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 01 April 2009, 06:43:45 »
Quote from: MANISH7;26374
similar question: what is the cheapest keyboard with mx browns that are available NEW in the USA? all the compaq 11800s are used.

From what I can tell, either the G80-3000 I bought from DataCal or the Filco I got from majestouch.  Brown Cherrys are hard to find new in the US.  Both keyboards will run you about $100.  Personally, I would just get an MX-11800 if you just want to try somethign out.  Even though, they are used, they feel just the same to me as my new G80-3000, so other than cleanliness, perhaps, I don't think you are going to see the difference.

Offline cchan

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 01 April 2009, 06:54:25 »
Not to advertise, but I have an MX11800 for sale for $20+shipping.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 01 April 2009, 09:29:19 »
Thank you both - itlnstln and Tales. PM sent :)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 04:49:57 »
I'm starting to love my Cherry a lot. In fact, I never thought I would say that, but I'm finding myself gravitating towards keyswitches requiring less force than the buckling spring switches. Maybe it's because the way my desk is set up. Since I don't have a keyboard tray, the Customizer would have felt needing less force to press the keys if my desk was a tad lower.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 07:08:28 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;90386
I'm starting to love my Cherry a lot. In fact, I never thought I would say that, but I'm finding myself gravitating towards keyswitches requiring less force than the buckling spring switches. Maybe it's because the way my desk is set up. Since I don't have a keyboard tray, the Customizer would have felt needing less force to press the keys if my desk was a tad lower.

I started with my Model Ms, then I got my Northgate with white, clicky Alps.  After I used several 'boards with different Alps switches (maily blacks), I then got my MX-11800 with Cherry browns and fell in love with them.  I am doing the same thing; the more 'boards I use, I find that I like the ones with the lighter switches.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 06:10:20 »
Quote from: itlnstln;90398
I started with my Model Ms, then I got my Northgate with white, clicky Alps.  After I used several 'boards with different Alps switches (maily blacks), I then got my MX-11800 with Cherry browns and fell in love with them.  I am doing the same thing; the more 'boards I use, I find that I like the ones with the lighter switches.

I'm following almost exactly the same path. Although I like the sound of the buckling spring keyboard, my fingers get tired when I type for a long time, and I find myself making more typing errors. On the other hand, using the Cherry keyboard, my fingers feel less tired, and I make less typing errors. Oh well!

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 26 May 2009, 11:59:41 »
Quote from: FKSSR;80679
The RC has english and chinese characters.  I just got one.  The chinese kind of bug me personally, but the biggest pain is the lack of bumps on the F and H keys.  I can get used to both of those things, though.  I never look at my keyboard when I'm typing so I won't really even notice once I stop thinking about it.  I've also been thinking of putting blank black keys on instead of the letters and numbers to make a half-stealth keyboard, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what would look good.

I have an IBM keyboard with bumps on the F and J keys. Never noticed until your post.

What are they there for?
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline lal

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 26 May 2009, 12:07:57 »
For quickly and blindly finding the home row.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 26 May 2009, 12:11:36 »
Thanks guys.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 10:05:10 »
Is che-3000lscrc-2 and G80-3000lscrc-2 the same keyboard?

Offline wheel83

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 12:27:56 »
lol good one ripster
I <3 BS

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 12:40:24 »
Quote from: ripster;93689
Che is the Communist Model.

Show Image

Yeah, I noticed that.  It brings up the G80  PDF so I think it's the same.

I know who Che is. I asked about che-3000lscrc-2 not Che Guevara. I think they are the same keyboard too. Just wanted to confirm should I come across such keyboard in the future.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 12:56:30 »
Quote from: ripster;93728
Just having fun.

Here is another confirmation.

Can I tell a Canadian joke now?  

Patrick, you're originally from the US I assume??

I know you were having fun...just had to pretend was serious for a second :bounce:

You can tell your joke...the last time I check this place was not under a totalitarian regime. No, I'm not from the US originally.