Author Topic: [Question] Cherry mx brown vs mx clear for lots of typing an gaming  (Read 94712 times)

Offline medvednic

Hello,
I've been lurking in the forums since the day that I've decided to purchase a mechanical keyboard.
I'll try to make it as short as I can:
PC usage: mostly typing (SE student), casual gaming.
blues are not considered due to their sound.
I have the cherry sample kit from WASD, at first I really considered the clear switches because of their better tactile feedback than the browns (I also read that people are getting used to browns and they become almost linear and buttoming out starts to take place).
but it would be very uncomfortable to game using clears, and I don't have the money to buy separate clear and red boards for my needs, hence I think that browns are better for me... the only thing is that I'm afraid of is that maybe I'm applying to much pressure during typing and may start to buttom out with browns.
what it your suggestion to me, browns or clears?
has anyone that bought browns started to feel that they are to light for them? 

IBM Model M | CM Strom QFR Stealth MX Brown

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: [Question] Cherry mx brown vs mx clear for lots of typing an gaming
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:58:47 »
mod a clear board's wasd keys with reds or browns?

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 14:06:30 »
Browns don't "become linear". People who are heavy typists tend to slam down on MX Browns, thus not being able to feel the tactility.

My advice: Get MX Browns. They're widely available and don't become acoustically annoying like MX Blues. MX Clears may be a little heavy unless you plan to replace the springs with lighter ones. MX Browns are great for typing AND gaming. For typing, they have the satisfying tactility. For gaming, they're light enough to spam APM without become fatigued.

Offline BrockSamson

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 14:50:38 »
The easier way to make the decision is to realize that unless you want a Deck keyboard or to build/mod your own, I don't think anyone actually has an MX Clear keyboards in stock for the next 9 months.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I want an MX Clear board haha)

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 15:00:55 »
I almost never fatigue while typing on my clears as the heavy spring cushions my key presses, making it hard for me to bottom out. I game on it as well with no problems. I have little skinny fingers for what it's worth. I had browns for a while and they were fine, but they were not tactile enough for me (I also love blue switches).

I have a Leopold FC660M with clears I might let go soon. I have used the board a lot for gaming and typing and it's been great.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 15:29:07 »
Browns don't "become linear". People who are heavy typists tend to slam down on MX Browns, thus not being able to feel the tactility.

My advice: Get MX Browns. They're widely available and don't become acoustically annoying like MX Blues. MX Clears may be a little heavy unless you plan to replace the springs with lighter ones. MX Browns are great for typing AND gaming. For typing, they have the satisfying tactility. For gaming, they're light enough to spam APM without become fatigued.

I agree with this.

I slam my keys like an ogre :<
I hate everything.

Offline medvednic

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 15:37:37 »
The easier way to make the decision is to realize that unless you want a Deck keyboard or to build/mod your own, I don't think anyone actually has an MX Clear keyboards in stock for the next 9 months.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I want an MX Clear board haha)

There are the Leopolds FC660M that Qtan is offering.

IBM Model M | CM Strom QFR Stealth MX Brown

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 15:38:00 »
i like the clears, blues, bs when doing heavy typing, but like something a little lighter like browns, reds when doing other stuff

i won't even get into alps, space invaders, futaba's smk's, etc.

i'm just weird
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline lilky

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 15:46:27 »
In all honesty you should try to buy some Clear switches and mod a keyboard to ergo clears. Stock clears are really too stiff to do a lot of typing or gaming on. Their actuation point peaks out at 100g, which is REALLY heavy and will fatigue your fingers really quickly. Browns are nice, but the increased tactility of clears feels really nice as long as the spring isn't too heavy.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 15:58:17 »
No clears actuation point is 60-65 then it starts ramping up in force to 100 as you approach bottoming out. If you can manage to teach yourself to stop pressing after actuation and release clears really are not any more fatiguing than blacks. If you find them still too fatiguing, you can always swap springs to lighter with clears. You can't make the browns more tactile though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 17:33:29 »
Reds and browns have the same springs - if you think you'll bottom out with reds then you'll also bottom out with browns.

I like blacks (and more recently greens) for typing and gaming.

For typing I like a bit of resistance and the clicky feedback.  For gaming I like keys that I can't accidentally press while resting my fingers on them.

Plus I also have reasonably strong fingers.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 18:14:37 »
Reds and browns have the same springs - if you think you'll bottom out with reds then you'll also bottom out with browns.

I like blacks (and more recently greens) for typing and gaming.

For typing I like a bit of resistance and the clicky feedback.  For gaming I like keys that I can't accidentally press while resting my fingers on them.

Plus I also have reasonably strong fingers.
This! The reason I use blues (besides that I don't mind the sound) is that I bottom out way too much with browns, can't get used to their lightness(?). Sadly never tried ergo clears but I think I would like them a lot. I don't like linear switches but can see myself gaming with blacks, but the reds...    :confused:
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 20:21:08 »
Stock clear is like, really stiff. Ive been there and back, with a pit stop at ergo clears. I would stick with brown for gaming/typing; just a more balanced switch imo.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline ElectricRaptor

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 20:48:04 »
I've typed on clears and browns, and I definitely prefer clears for typing and gaming. The tactility is considerably better than browns. I only wish they were heavier!

Offline insomniak

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 23:06:05 »
I started off on browns and found the bump on them quite lacking. Since I heard clears were like browns but stiffer and with a more distinct bump, I thought I'd give it a go. Now after trying clears, I'm stuck in between because I really do like the bump, but the stiffness is too fatiguing, especially in FPS.  The CTRL & space bar just are too stiff for me to feel like I have "control" in the game.

Though I'd have to say for typing, clears blow browns out of the water for me. But since I mainly game on my computer, I'm leaning towards going back to browns.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 23:13:23 »
How about Matias quiet switches? They feel a lot like clears to me but a little lighter.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 23:36:04 »
As people get more used to Browns, they don't hit it harder, they usually type more lightly. Browns would be best for lots of gaming and typing.
The less tactile for gaming, the better, while more is better for typing.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 06:05:47 »
Browns are very good all-round switches.

Stock Clears are quite stiff and I find them tiring.

I love ErgoClears (Clears with 62g springs from Originative). It's a lot of work to mod a whole board, but they feel great.

I would go for Browns, since they are easier to find and will do everything well. If you later decide they don't have enough tactile feedback or are too soft, then get something different for your next board.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline IMHB

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 03:44:59 »
My solution: get browns, then get black springs and mod....

Since you like clear's heaviness and you feel browns are too light, modding the switches just for you might be the best idea for your typing experience.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:13:00 »
 Why do people have problems gaming on clears? I find them perfectly fine for it. Curious as to why other people think they might be a bad choice.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:16:20 »
Why do people have problems gaming on clears? I find them perfectly fine for it. Curious as to why other people think they might be a bad choice.

Probably the same reason they think that Blues aren't good, because there's a lot of tactility, and that makes it harder to double tap. I wouldn't use my Blue on an FPS, but it's pretty good on League.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:48:55 »

Probably the same reason they think that Blues aren't good, because there's a lot of tactility, and that makes it harder to double tap. I wouldn't use my Blue on an FPS, but it's pretty good on League.
I find blues just fine even for RTS which requires a lot of double tapping.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:50:30 »

Most people don't. One exception doesn't really matter.

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:57:29 »

I know many pro gamers and streamers that use blues for RTS so its not ones exception.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:59:52 »
I would go with browns for a lot of typing and gaming.  I love Clears, but for a lot of the above, I think Browns are better.  I prefer linear switches for key-mashing during gaming, and typing is better with a little tactility.  So Browns are the middle-of-the-road switch for that purpose.  Clears feel awkward to me when doing fast repeated key pressing.  Too much of a bump.  Otherwise I love 62g linear switches for gaming (and really they are great for typing too if you add some o-rings for softer bottoming out to alleviate some stress on fingers).  Those don't come standard, however, you'd have to mod linear switches to swap springs--something between Red and Black.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:05:13 »

I know many pro gamers and streamers that use blues for RTS so its not ones exception.

I'm pretty sure it is, as from an earlier discussion, apparently only a single professional SCII gamer uses blues. I don't think you know many streamers or pro gamers, forgive me. Let's not thread crap further.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:22:43 »
It matters what kind of "gaming" you would do more.  If you're going to be alternating keys and need precision, like for Starcraft, sure, Blues will give you a good feeling of a switch being actuated.  If you're going to be mashing a single key repeatedly, like for an MMO, then you won't find Blues or Clears comfortable for that.  You'd want linear switches or maybe Browns instead.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 14:57:47 »
Get the browns. They are better for gaming. It's lighter than the clears. Even if you mostly typing the browns are very good. When gaming they are still quick compared to reds. When spamming a key they feel like they have resistance but no bump. It's not really a bump anyway. It's more like a soft grain of rice. It feels nice though.

Offline watterrbottle

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 15:01:22 »
I'm just going to go ahead and say it, in my opinion browns are horrendous  :(  and when typing at high speeds it just feels gross

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 15:13:01 »
I'm just going to go ahead and say it, in my opinion browns are horrendous  :(  and when typing at high speeds it just feels gross

I really enjoyed typing on Browns and had no finger fatigue issues.  My WPM is around 90--not sure what you mean by high speeds.  If I had to type all day on Clears, I think I would get tired after a couple hours.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 16:12:12 »
How hard would it be to type on a board where 10 keys are linear but the rest are tactile?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 16:18:56 »
As long as they have a ~same actuation force and such, it's not much of a difference.  I've done half a board with Blacks and half a board with Clears and some ergo-Clears. It's a little funky, but I could still type on it fine.  I mean it's not like you suddenly forget where the switches are located.  Just feels inconsistent.  With that said, I wouldn't mix clicky with non-clicky.  That'd just be bad...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 16:22:56 »
How hard would it be to type on a board where 10 keys are linear but the rest are tactile?

depends on how sensitive you are

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 16:41:01 »
I really like it though. I'm still hovering around 40-50WPM. And thwas on reds too. But that's the thing, I really enjoy typing on browns.

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 16:46:27 »
Between lots of typing on clears vs browns for me, I'd say that with browns, the experience is more based on the thumping of the keys onto the board (don't remember who said it, but they explained it like was typing on bamboo... totally agree). Clears on the other hand, given that they're more difficult to bottom out with, have a more 'continuous' typing feel.
With gaming on the had, I definitely enjoy the clears. With browns, I have to make more of an effort to release each key, whilst with the clears, the release is a lot more effortless.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 16:57:18 »
I have a clears board on which I recently changed the wasd cluster to some linear stems. Best of both worlds imo. I don't notice the difference between the linear cluster and the rest of the keys when typing because I got used to not pressing past the activation point a while back and in games it just feels the same as a linear board.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 18:18:38 »
Conclusion from this thread, as has been with many other threads on the same topic of switch preference: there will not be a definitive answer.  It's subjective, and there are many opposing opinions.  Only you will be able to decide for yourself what you like best for each purpose.

Offline spremino

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 01:44:22 »
Conclusion from this thread, as has been with many other threads on the same topic of switch preference: there will not be a definitive answer.  It's subjective, and there are many opposing opinions.  Only you will be able to decide for yourself what you like best for each purpose.

I would bet it is subjective because we are not formally taught typists and as such we have random typing habits. For instance, I have never seen anybody using a keyboard shelf, something that would be a requirement for traditional typing.

We could start to recommend switches according to one's typing habits. It seems to me that people whose typing approximates traditional techniques prefer heavy switches, whilst people who ignore such techniques prefer light switches.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 December 2013, 01:48:08 by spremino »
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 01:58:07 »

I would bet it is subjective because we are not formally taught typists and as such we have random typing habits. For instance, I have never seen anybody using a keyboard shelf, something that would be a requirement for traditional typing.

We could start to recommend switches according to one's typing habits. It seems to me that people whose typing approximates traditional techniques prefer heavy switches, whilst people who ignore such techniques prefer light switches.

Very interesting observations. I am interested to know from those who learned proper typing techniques in the days of the manual typewriter, how have they adapted if any to mechanical keyboards and whether they feel that they are better typists for having learned on manual typewriters.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 02:43:14 »
I would go with clears

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3