Author Topic: How bright are the Blue LEDs for Ducky Shine 3?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Stevenator21

How bright are the Blue LEDs for Ducky Shine 3?
« on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 17:07:00 »
So I am buying a Ducky Shine 3 and wanted Cherry MX Browns + Blue LEDs. Then I heard that they are very bright and was wondering if it is actually that bad. Also do they impede on the simplistic look of the keyboard? Any help would be awesome!

Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/ Browns + White LEDs

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
Re: How bright are the Blue LEDs for Ducky Shine 3?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 17:39:14 »
They are amazing! They are bright, but it's not too bright maxed out. Then again you can always lower the brightness. This is the best board I have typed on.  ;D
It is a deeper blue than Corsair boards. Simply amazing.  :p

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 17:40:07 »
Alright I guess that settles it, I am getting the blue :D

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 17:53:37 »
Alright I guess that settles it, I am getting the blue :D

Is this your first board?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 18:18:54 »
Yes, have had months of "lurking" and researching. Very excited for it.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 19:28:31 »
Very good buy! Love mine. :p

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 20:13:19 »
Are there PBT's that can have light shine through them that I could put on this keyboard?

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:41:01 »
I think thin PBTs have light shine through but not legends. Max keyboard has a set that is ABS but is transparent.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:59:41 »
Are there PBT's that can have light shine through them that I could put on this keyboard?

I have a QF TK, and light shines through perfectly well on the medium thick blank PBT. However, if you use legends, those won't shine through unless they're like the Ducky caps.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 22:08:27 »
Imsto's white PBT lets quite a bit of light through. I used them over my KMAC and it looked pretty nice. I have some thin ABS that lets less light through.

Also, the PBT that TG3 uses in the BL82 and Deck 82 lets light through of course (it is designed for backlighting)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 03:56:11 »
You can adjust the brightness levels.  My Shine 1 (one with red LED one with green LED) go from just about visible, all the way up to waaay too bright.

Also consider Ducky Shine Zero with blue LED - apparently that is a softer blue that is not as harsh on the eyes.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 09:26:26 »
I don't know about you rowdy, but I really love harsh/deep blues on my boards lol. And my phone wallpaper on my phone. It's a solid, deep blue. I'm really happy with my shine, and I savor every moment with it. My fingers are massaged all day long.  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 17:32:22 »
I don't know about you rowdy, but I really love harsh/deep blues on my boards lol. And my phone wallpaper on my phone. It's a solid, deep blue. I'm really happy with my shine, and I savor every moment with it. My fingers are massaged all day long.  :p

I'd prefer a deeper blue - the blue Zero Shine seems a bit washed-out to me, but apparently it is a very nice relaxing shade of blue.  Not that I have one.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:31:54 »

I have not had a board yet, although I believe I would love the deep blue of the Shine 3.

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:33:47 »
Thanks for all the help, I am getting one for Christmas and am so excited! Getting the Ducky Sine 3 TKL w/ Cherry MX Browns + Blue LEDs! I am thinking I want to try o-rings, are there free sample packs circulating?

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 19:41:41 »
Grats! Not that I know of. But they are pretty cheap.

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:13:20 »
Actually, this makes me consider the White LEDs
quack quack...Shine II (Brown with white LEDs):

Show Image

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 02:23:26 »
Thanks for all the help, I am getting one for Christmas and am so excited! Getting the Ducky Sine 3 TKL w/ Cherry MX Browns + Blue LEDs! I am thinking I want to try o-rings, are there free sample packs circulating?

It's not free, but the WASD Sampler Kit contains a few O-rings (as well as keycaps and switches, although you can opt not to receive those to lower the cost).