Author Topic: Model M 3$ starting bid  (Read 3791 times)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Model M 3$ starting bid
« on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:36:19 »
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-IBM-Model-M-Buckling-Spring-Clicky-Keyboard-may181992-1397661-/201006388518

Model M 3$ starting bid

Shipping too high for me, don't know how much it will end at, but could be a nice opportunity for someone if they can snipe it.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Model M 3$ starting bid
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:37:17 »
i call snipes

Offline JimByr

• ...old guy...
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:55:28 »
What's a 1397661? It's not in the wiki.

Ah. OK. ClickyKeyboards says it is identical to a 1391401. And someone on GH got one that differs from a 1391401.  :-[
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:59:12 by JimByr »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 16:00:16 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline regack

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 16:02:21 »
Ha, when it said missing 1 key, I thought it would be just the cap, not the whole key...  I don't think I need another Model M... but it's tempting to try for it anyway...

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 16:20:54 »
At least you know for sure it's not a rubber dome.  ;D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 20:55:55 »
shipping is ludicrous.

maybe he hasn't heard that ebay charges full fees on shipping, too
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 20:08:05 »
**** i forgot to bid....

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 20:17:21 »
I won it. No bidding in the last 3 days… forgot about it, really. $23 after shipping.

You could've easily sniped it, Pacifist. My max was super low.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 20:22:53 »
I ****IN FORGOT ABOUT IT

SCREW WEEK LONG AUCTIONS

Offline JPG

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 20:23:08 »
Happy that one of you got it!

Payback for the one posting my F  :thumb:

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 06:29:55 »
shipping is ludicrous.

maybe he hasn't heard that ebay charges full fees on shipping, too

$17 US shipping for a Model M is "ludicrous"? Oh how I envy the cheap American shipping. Remember when you said this thing would cost $54 to ship US to Canada?:

Now that's what I'd call ludicrous.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 08:36:47 »

$17 US shipping for a Model M is "ludicrous"? Oh how I envy the cheap American shipping. Remember when you said this thing would cost $54 to ship US to Canada?:

What? No.

$54 is what it costs to ship a Model F keyboard from the US to Canada via Priority Mail.

That converter would go in a small box or padded envelope for $10-12 or so.

$17 is the domestic US price for a large flat rate Priority game board box. I once shipped a Model M in one and it was delivered from Georgia to Alaska in just under 72 hours, but from Atlanta to Toronto a similar board cost $54 and took almost 2 weeks. Go figure.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 09:11:18 »
Oh, whew. I thought you were talking about that box. I tried to get parts for my 5155 adapter this week and they wanted $28 to ship a tiny adapter plug to Canada.

I'd consider 2 weeks shipping from US to Canada as "unusually fast". It usually takes 3 weeks. The average from the UK is just over a week. I received something shipped from China in 4 days! The US-Canada delay us usually much worse when going through Florida. I've seen tracking showing my packages stuck there for over a week. I bet they dump all the Canada packages in the "low priority" section. It's pretty annoying paying $60 to ship a keyboard, then waiting 3 weeks for it.

I should start a whole thread about ludicrous shipping from US to Canada - starting with this classic:
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 December 2013, 09:13:47 by mr_a500 »

Offline osi

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 09:23:24 »
Great pickup -- especially after posting it geekhack!! :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 09:25:02 »
I tried to get parts for my 5155 adapter this week and they wanted $28 to ship a tiny adapter plug to Canada.

The small flat rate box, which is about the size of a VHS tape, goes for $20, so any handful of "small" stuff that fits in there should be OK.

Only envelopes go for "cheap" prices, and if they have "lumps" over 3/4" thick or are rigid overall, many PO clerks will price them as parcels anyway.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 09:32:35 »
Great pickup -- especially after posting it geekhack!! :D

Yes, you'd think it would go for at least triple that (or quadruple) after being posted here. There are some days when you get extremely lucky - when people are distracted and nobody is paying attention. It's not a record though. I won a 1991 Model M a few years ago (perfect condition) for just $4. I couldn't believe it. That one wasn't posted on Geekhack though.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 10:10:26 »
I tried to get parts for my 5155 adapter this week and they wanted $28 to ship a tiny adapter plug to Canada.

The small flat rate box, which is about the size of a VHS tape, goes for $20, so any handful of "small" stuff that fits in there should be OK.

Only envelopes go for "cheap" prices, and if they have "lumps" over 3/4" thick or are rigid overall, many PO clerks will price them as parcels anyway.

VHS tape?  What's that?

Just kidding.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 15:34:54 »

VHS tape?  What's that?

Approximately half again as long and as thick as an 8-track.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 15:51:57 »

VHS tape?  What's that?

I imagine he'll be checking Wikipedia to see what 8-track is. ;)

I remember when cars had 8-track. Those damn things always ended up chewing and spitting out tape. I also remember people would throw extra tapes in the glove compartment and the tape would always end up snagging on something and unreel.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 16:03:49 »

VHS tape?  What's that?

Are these things available for viewing at the Smithsonian?

One of my roommates was cleaning out her stuff.  We found some 8-tracks laying around.  Some good ones, too.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 18:47:15 »
We found some 8-tracks laying around.  Some good ones, too.

8-tracks had pretty good fidelity since they were twice as wide as cassettes and spun twice as fast.

The big problem, today, is that most of them had a block of foam rubber to press the tape against the head, and the foam has deteriorated. Some had little felt pads on metal leaf springs, and they age a lot better.

Offline JPG

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 18:58:42 »
Oh, whew. I thought you were talking about that box. I tried to get parts for my 5155 adapter this week and they wanted $28 to ship a tiny adapter plug to Canada.

I'd consider 2 weeks shipping from US to Canada as "unusually fast". It usually takes 3 weeks. The average from the UK is just over a week. I received something shipped from China in 4 days! The US-Canada delay us usually much worse when going through Florida. I've seen tracking showing my packages stuck there for over a week. I bet they dump all the Canada packages in the "low priority" section. It's pretty annoying paying $60 to ship a keyboard, then waiting 3 weeks for it.

I should start a whole thread about ludicrous shipping from US to Canada - starting with this classic:
Show Image

I don't know what parts required 28$ shipping, but I ordered all of mine on ebay (all from China I think) and they cost me like 10$ total, shipping included. I just hope they will all work, but I think they should. I just don't know how they manage to get a female din plug sent to Canada from China for 1$. Sending a letter cost me like 80 cents, and only if it's inside Canada.

Also, if you are patient, you can get a keyboard (model M, even a F122 size) for 15$ shipping from some suppliers in the US (they are often from Texas). They must be big suppliers with way better shipping fees.

This one is 14$ + 34$ shipping (not that bad) : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IBM-1390876-Keyboard-Model-M-Clicky-5-Pin-Round-Connector-/331092814449

And this one is 10$ + 33$ shipping : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IBM-1394012-Keyboard-Model-M-Clicky-Ethernet-RJ45-Style-Connector-/331092814134

And you can maybe get better. The prices are the actual prices, but with good sniping skills you could maybe get one for less than 50$ shipped. You can also be more patient and get a better price or a more local one. I was lucky enough to find an F for 30$ + 15$ shipping since it was local for me (and far for everyone else haha).

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 20:17:48 »

Show Image

I don't know what parts required 28$ shipping, but I ordered all of mine on ebay (all from China I think) and they cost me like 10$ total, shipping included. I just hope they will all work, but I think they should. I just don't know how they manage to get a female din plug sent to Canada from China for 1$. Sending a letter cost me like 80 cents, and only if it's inside Canada.

Also, if you are patient, you can get a keyboard (model M, even a F122 size) for 15$ shipping from some suppliers in the US (they are often from Texas). They must be big suppliers with way better shipping fees.

This one is 14$ + 34$ shipping (not that bad) : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IBM-1390876-Keyboard-Model-M-Clicky-5-Pin-Round-Connector-/331092814449

And this one is 10$ + 33$ shipping : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IBM-1394012-Keyboard-Model-M-Clicky-Ethernet-RJ45-Style-Connector-/331092814134

And you can maybe get better. The prices are the actual prices, but with good sniping skills you could maybe get one for less than 50$ shipped. You can also be more patient and get a better price or a more local one. I was lucky enough to find an F for 30$ + 15$ shipping since it was local for me (and far for everyone else haha).

know any cheap f's?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 20:55:07 »
to Canada from China for 1$.

The exchange rate is beyond understanding.

I can't send a thick letter to China for $2, but they can send me a USB cable for that price and still make a profit on the transaction.

Realistically, multiply your $ by at least 4x and maybe by 10x and that is what it is actually worth to them.

Offline JPG

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 16:11:33 »

Show Image

know any cheap f's?

Sadly no, and if I did, I am still looking for another one since I am in love with mine (even if I need to build a converter and make the spacebar less stiff). But for my next I will be more picky on the layout, poor wallet. Still, the XT I got could be used since even if the layout is not so nice, I think it won't be that bad once I remap the keys with the converter. Only the spacebar will be odd (and maybe left shift, but less I think).

But if I find 2 F or one I don't want I will post it! In fact, there are 2 F for sale on ebay (that I saw recently), but both are XT and at least 100$, so quite more than what they are worth I think. If you still want the links, pm me.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 00:12:06 »

Show Image

know any cheap f's?

Sadly no, and if I did, I am still looking for another one since I am in love with mine (even if I need to build a converter and make the spacebar less stiff). But for my next I will be more picky on the layout, poor wallet. Still, the XT I got could be used since even if the layout is not so nice, I think it won't be that bad once I remap the keys with the converter. Only the spacebar will be odd (and maybe left shift, but less I think).

But if I find 2 F or one I don't want I will post it! In fact, there are 2 F for sale on ebay (that I saw recently), but both are XT and at least 100$, so quite more than what they are worth I think. If you still want the links, pm me.

going to try to snag that 122 you linked, so no f for now.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 11:15:59 »

Show Image

The first one is 5-pin, is that very easy to use with a modern PC? And for the second one, aren't RJ45 Model M's hard to convert to PS/2?
;)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 12:25:11 »
The first one is 5-pin, is that very easy to use with a modern PC? And for the second one, aren't RJ45 Model M's hard to convert to PS/2?

I think that you are going to need a Teensy for any of them.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 14:11:41 »

Show Image

I'm warning you I put a pretty high snipe bid on the 122 key, so if you want a M go for the second one

and both require teensy