Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Hate  (Read 55961 times)

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
HHKB Pro 2 Hate
« on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 23:59:48 »
Has there been anyone who bought a HHKB 2 and dislike and shelfed it? It's beginning to grow on me after 2 months and I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with all those MX boards I have.

If I started my mech adventure knowing that Topre is my destiny, imagine the amount of dollars I would have saved.

Thus, I'm curious as to the percentage of people who ended up hating or disliking it. We have many Topre and HHKB love threads. Is there one who dislike it and this let is hear your voice.

And if you are thinking of buying a mech and if you knew that Topre is the end game for many and no one ever regret it, then it's a no brainier for new member to jump directly to HHKB, isn't it? Yeah, it's more expensive but so is owning multiple Cherry variants.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Hate
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:02:27 »
If I started my mech adventure knowing that Topre is my destiny, imagine the amount of dollars I would have saved.

don't think of it that way! it was a great journey that brought you to the one true switch and layout.

all hail topre!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:10:39 »
Has there been anyone who bought a HHKB 2 and dislike and shelfed it? It's beginning to grow on me after 2 months and I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with all those MX boards I have.

Thus, I'm curious as to the percentage of people who ended up hating or disliking it. We have many Topre and HHKB love threads. Is there one who dislike it and this let is hear your voice.

And if you are thinking of buying a mech and if you knew that Topre is the end game for many and no one ever regret it, then it's a no brainier for new member to jump directly to HHKB, isn't it? Yeah, it's more expensive but so is owning multiple Cherry variants.

+1 ^.  I've been saying this for like a year or more.  HHKB Pro 2.  Hmm, maybe the name is the problem.  What if it was called the HHKB Newb 1?   
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:16:20 »

don't think of it that way! it was a great journey that brought you to the one true switch and layout.

all hail topre!

All the MX money I saved would have let me buy a Type-S! And Topre Clacks!

I'm trying to give people the shortcut to end game!!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:17:31 »
but sometimes the journey makes the destination that much sweeter

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:18:53 »
I sold my first HHKB before I even got it ._., but now I want back in to the cult..

And take over it
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:20:54 by Meiosis »
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:20:24 »
My mechanical experience went like this: MX > BS > Topre. Although Topre has replaced my MX boards I still prefer BS slightly more.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:20:50 »

all hail topre!

They are lost.  You are found.  Lead them across the MX desert to the sweet, sweet promised land of Topre exultation.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:23:25 »
noppo capacitive feel topre with MX keycap
alps matias?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:27:31 »
noppo capacitive feel topre with MX keycap
alps matias?

wut?

Offline yasuo

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:31:49 »

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:37:35 »
So looks like a 99% love so far except the poster on Noppoo. Really no hates? Really??

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:40:53 »
I hate my HHKB

no dedicated arrow keys

topre switches kinda suck for gaming

sounds wet

not heavy enough

not MX blacks/blues

price tag is egregious

and that's why it's pending trade
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:41:41 »
i really hate the name "happy hacking keyboard" but the layout is so damn aesthetically pleasing that i had to grab one. For those saying this could be their "end game keyboard", i say pish posh. No one knows whats on the horizon, i would bet any amount of $$$ people will re buy this same keyboard if they released it with blue tooth capability, or added those mysterious mx compatible topre stems :thumb:
sell out and eat ass

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:42:36 »
layout looks lame

no ctrls
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline yasuo

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:47:42 »
of course,initially hhkb for unix users no arrow keys :))
The material cases is PS no ABS :-X
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:50:18 by yasuo »

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:56:38 »
Not fair to hate it for its name. Cherry wasn't that great a name. Why do people like to use fruit name on IT stuff (eg Apple) ? And Ducky!!

But keep the hate flowing, he he. I need to earn my HHKB Pagan title.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:00:23 »
layout looks lame

no ctrls

Other than the big one right next to your A key?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:11:44 »

all hail topre!

Yep! HHKB Pro 2 was my 2nd mech. Smartest decision ever! So much $ for clacks and the good stuff. ;)

Offline yasuo

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:16:15 »
any lovers any haters balanced :p

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:23:46 »

Yep! HHKB Pro 2 was my 2nd mech. Smartest decision ever! So much $ for clacks and the good stuff. ;)
You are smart!!!!
And not only that, your significant others would never suspect a thing, unlike some of us who gets a lot of evil eye for having stacks of keyboards!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:24:35 »
any lovers any haters balanced :p
More love than hate, the way it goes now. Will all the haters, please stand up!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:28:33 »
****tttttt

should i get hhkb pro jp from jwaz's proxy for $300 or wait for CM topre? Or stay on the path of MX and buy a raindrop set? Choices choices choices

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:30:29 »
I nearly wasn't going to get mine - $180 on eBay, I was surprised that no-one bid on it for so long.

Then I did, and won it.

Been loving it ever since, and I still like greens, blacks and buckling spring occasionally.

But I do keep coming back to the HHKB.

I suppose ideally I'd like a RealForce 87 something at work, and the HHKB at home.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:31:13 »
You are smart!!!!
And not only that, your significant others would never suspect a thing, unlike some of us who gets a lot of evil eye for having stacks of keyboards!

"soooo tell me why you need more than one keyboard? how much did those caps cost? your getting MORE caps in the mail!? this is getting out of hand"

i recently started grabbing the mail before she gets home, things have been... calmer
sell out and eat ass

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:41:33 »

You are smart!!!!

Lol yeah! It is tempting to buy keyboards just to collect them though. I'd always use the HHKB.

Lol more keycaps?!! Yepp..

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 02:02:06 »
I've gone through a few cherry mx boards already and still looking for that perfect switch. even though overall i've probably spent more than $300 on keyboards so far, I can't justify purchasing an HHKB or a topre unless i can try them out and know they will be my endgame keyboard.

i love the clack sound of a key bottoming, so here's to hoping my incoming ergo clear board will be the end.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 02:07:56 »
I nearly wasn't going to get mine - $180 on eBay, I was surprised that no-one bid on it for so long.

Then I did, and won it.

Been loving it ever since, and I still like greens, blacks and buckling spring occasionally.

But I do keep coming back to the HHKB.

I suppose ideally I'd like a RealForce 87 something at work, and the HHKB at home.

0.0 I want a hhkb for $180!

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 02:20:04 »
nvm lol
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 December 2013, 02:37:21 by Meiosis »
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 02:25:53 »
This thread makes me urk

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 04:23:45 »
I've gone through a few cherry mx boards already and still looking for that perfect switch. even though overall i've probably spent more than $300 on keyboards so far, I can't justify purchasing an HHKB or a topre unless i can try them out and know they will be my endgame keyboard.

i love the clack sound of a key bottoming, so here's to hoping my incoming ergo clear board will be the end.
That's the whole point of this thread. If 9/10 people who had a HHKB loves it, you can be sure you will love it. So why waste money on MX boards???

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 04:24:36 »
You are smart!!!!

"soooo tell me why you need more than one keyboard? how much did those caps cost? your getting MORE caps in the mail!? this is getting out of hand"

i recently started grabbing the mail before she gets home, things have been... calmer
I sent things to my office. She doesn't have to know!

Offline adhoc

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 04:35:11 »
The only thing I hate about this thing is where "ž" is positioned (but of course, none of you care about that now do you?!) and the fact that it cost me 450$ to get it (cheapest I could find).

Not to mention that now that I have it I just feel the NEED to have one more for work...

As for the switches, I wouldn't really say they are better than Cherry blue for example, but I wouldn't say they are worse. Both are great in their own way.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 07:30:10 »
I'm selling mine, but only because I gots 2 Realforce 55gs that I like better
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 07:36:07 »
I'm selling mine, but only because I gots 2 Realforce 55gs that I like better
How could you betray the HHKB

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 07:39:14 »
Never tried a HHKB but wasn't too crazy about the variable realforce I had for a week or two. I mean topre was nice and all, but I still prefer my 55g blacks.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline moonexe

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 07:50:35 »
Well, if you need help getting rid of those cherry keyboards... :rolleyes:

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline osi

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 08:30:37 »
My gripe about the hhkb is that it wasn't an end game keyboard for me. Don't need tactility for gaming, although many people game just fine on topre boards -- all preference.

Other than that, hhkb for everything else! Oh wait, this is a hate thread. :(

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 08:34:17 »
alright so I've got my HHKB plugged in right now

still don't like it

back in the box with you

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 08:40:45 »

all hail topre!

The sad thing is that if you are the type of person who has MX and wants to try Topre regradless of already being pretty satisfied with what you have, that mean that it would work the other way as well. If you started with Topre, it would only be a matter of time before you finally cracked and would try out at least one MX.

Personally I tried Topre but was not sure about it. Still every once in a while I think about buying one. Sometimes when you own something and allow yourself to get used to it you like it a lot more than at first try, even if the first try was underwhelming. If the HHKB were more available where I live, and about 30% less expensive I would already own one. Right now, it is also a question of, even if I like it, am I willing to spend that much money on it. A non-issue for many people on this board I know (what is a few bucks compared to keyboard typing bliss), but something my circumstances force me to think about.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 December 2013, 08:44:54 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline HongKongFui

• No, you couldn't
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 08:47:10 »
More love than hate, the way it goes now. Will all the haters, please stand up!

We don't have to. We are confident about our love to MX- switches, no need to talk bad about high quality rubberdome topres :D

Offline adhoc

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 09:05:25 »
I honestly don't understand what's all this talk about topre switches being superior. They're neither worse nor better than MX Blue for example, just different in my opinion.

Also, PBT vs POM? Both are awesome. No idea where this PBT supremacy is coming from, I find POM really great to type on.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 10:32:32 »
The only thing I hate about this thing is where "ž" is positioned (but of course, none of you care about that now do you?!) and the fact that it cost me 450$ to get it (cheapest I could find).

Not to mention that now that I have it I just feel the NEED to have one more for work...

As for the switches, I wouldn't really say they are better than Cherry blue for example, but I wouldn't say they are worse. Both are great in their own way.

I honestly don't understand what's all this talk about topre switches being superior. They're neither worse nor better than MX Blue for example, just different in my opinion.

Also, PBT vs POM? Both are awesome. No idea where this PBT supremacy is coming from, I find POM really great to type on.
But you paid $450 for one and you are needing another one. Isn't that already implicitly implied that it is superior to MX? Would you pay $450 for a MX board?

Offline adhoc

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 10:54:20 »
No, sorry, I really can't say either PBT or Topre are superior to POM or mx blue (but neither would I say they are worse!). The layout however is far superior to anything I have ever used. It's also sexy as hell, being small and blank. THAT'S what I'd be ready to pay for.

Also I'd like a uniform experience at home and at work, because switching from 60% ANSI to 100% ISO twice a day is somewhat working against my muscle memory. Blue switches also can not be used at work for obvious reasons.

I would like to point out the advantage of Topre being in easier double tap of a key, like when writing "really" and other words with same letter twice in a row, compared to mx blue.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 11:28:22 »
All important books and documents should be re typed using HHKBs to make them more important.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 11:30:39 »
All important books and documents should be re typed using HHKBs to make them more important.
you should call eiti wada seems

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 14:38:36 »
Ok coming from a lover of hhkb...

I HATE not having dedicated arrows.. BUT They would forsure ruin the beautiful and amazingly perfect "look" of an hhkb pro..
Im thinking of getting the topre leopold or the realforce even though its way bigger for the arrows when im doing my graphic design..

BUT Id always keep and use my HHKB daily.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 15:22:05 »

But you paid $450 for one and you are needing another one. Isn't that already implicitly implied that it is superior to MX? Would you pay $450 for a MX board?

there are plenty of people who spend $450 on korean customs

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 15:27:47 »
alright so I've got my HHKB plugged in right now

still don't like it

back in the box with you

is this your HHKB?  :D http://www.ebay.com/itm/Happy-Hacking-Professional-2-with-Genuine-PFU-White-Keycaps-/221340435081?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item3388eb0289

not to bad of a price, and comes with an extra set of caps
sell out and eat ass

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 15:37:40 »
I wish there was a HHKB with POM.