Author Topic: Coloured Keycaps for Noppoo Choc Mini 84/2M  (Read 6438 times)

Offline OldDogmeat

Coloured Keycaps for Noppoo Choc Mini 84/2M
« on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 02:58:19 »
I want to replace some of the keycaps on my newly acquired Noppoo Choc Mini 84 but am new to all of this keyboard modification lark and so could do with a few pointers.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the keycaps that came with the keyboard, it's just I want to be able to identify certain keys easily in low light but wish to avoid backlighting.

I've been looking at some of the groupbuys, in particular the 'Raindrop 2' GB but am really unsure if the keys would even fit etc. The spacebar on the Noppoo seems to be 5.5x long? Is this correct and if so is this an odd/awkward size?

Also I've read that the keycap material on the Noppoo is POM, Do I need to replace with the same material for any reason?

So, from what I can gather the keyboard is 80%, 84 key, POM Keycapped; Is this all the info I need to look for in replacing the keys?

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Re: Coloured Keycaps for Noppoo Choc Mini 84/2M
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 03:24:26 »
The bottom 2 rows uses some non standard keys.

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline OldDogmeat

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 03:53:58 »

Ahh right; When you say 'some' non-standard keys do you mean the various non-alphanumeric keys such as 'Shift', 'Ctrl', 'Win', 'Alt', 'Spacebar', etc  (there's probably a term for all of these I'm guessing)?

Am I correct in assuming that the alphanumeric keys and the Function keys are all standard 1x keys?

I'd be happy to just replace the alphanumeric keys and function key row really.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 12:51:33 »

Ahh right; When you say 'some' non-standard keys do you mean the various non-alphanumeric keys such as 'Shift', 'Ctrl', 'Win', 'Alt', 'Spacebar', etc  (there's probably a term for all of these I'm guessing)?

Am I correct in assuming that the alphanumeric keys and the Function keys are all standard 1x keys?

I'd be happy to just replace the alphanumeric keys and function key row really.

That's not what he means, nonstandard keys are those with a size that are different from the standard bottom row.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 13:47:11 »
Really the only key on Choc that can't replace is the spacebar since it is pretty unique to only this keyboard. Otherwise, if you just want to replace only certain selection of keys for 100% match with stock keys you want those that are specifically Cherry profile.
EK has a good selection of GMK doubleshots that would go along nicely. All the key marked doubleshot in blue/green/red/yellow will be a perfect match. If you have most recent version of Choc where ctrl/win/alt is same size you can use those at EK. They don't have 1.75 size for right shift though. If you have other keys in mind please be specific and you will get more detailed advice on where to get it if it exists.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2014, 13:52:36 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline OldDogmeat

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 03:03:19 »
Really the only key on Choc that can't replace is the spacebar since it is pretty unique to only this keyboard. Otherwise, if you just want to replace only certain selection of keys for 100% match with stock keys you want those that are specifically Cherry profile.
EK has a good selection of GMK doubleshots that would go along nicely. All the key marked doubleshot in blue/green/red/yellow will be a perfect match. If you have most recent version of Choc where ctrl/win/alt is same size you can use those at EK. They don't have 1.75 size for right shift though. If you have other keys in mind please be specific and you will get more detailed advice on where to get it if it exists.

Ahh brilliant, thanks Ivan, I'm not massively fussy about covering the entire keyboard even though it would be nice to have that option but sounds as though that simply won't be possible.

The EK blue Cherry MX doubleshot keys look very nice, really like the vivid blue colour, in fact all of those doubleshot colours are really nice so I'll probably order some  of those; What would my options be for the Function key row though without going to blank keys preferably?

Is there anywhere on the web with specific info regards the key sizes, profiles etc for the Noppoo choc mini 84/2M keyboard? I've tried Noppoo's website for information a few times but fail to connect :(

I've found some good info here in general but am still unsure about certain specifics such as the correct Profile family..
http://www.keycapsdirect.com/key-caps.php

Also, some keys 'look' to be a certain size compared to the alphanumeric key sizes but I'm not 100% certain; eg, Is the Alt Key a 1.25 size as per the EK key here? http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cds_blu_alt

Would be nice to know all details of every aspect of the keyboard really; all key sizes, profiles, etc etc. I'm  not seasoned enough as no doubt a lot of the people on these forums are to just look at the keyboard and know these things :D

Thanks again to everyone.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 13:18:44 »
It depends which revision you have. The newest one use 1.25 size for the ctrl/win/fn/alt key. If all those keys on your Choc is the same size, then yes you can buy those from EK to have proper fitment. Older revisions used 1.5/1 unit keysizes for those bottom row key.
Most key is 1 unit and it have a sculpted profile with 4 different key shapes named B-E or 1-4 depending on which manufacturer. Besides the spacebar on Choc, all the other keys are common sizes used on many other keyboard. backspace is 2, tab and \| is 1.5, caps lock is 1.75, enter is 2.25, left shift is 2.25, and right shift 1.75.

Signature Plastics keys DO NOT match perfectly with Cherry profile so I would not use those. Stick with Cherry if you're going to mix match to keep everything uniform.

Other choice for Cherry profile is my groupuys here on the forums, originative, and salvaging them from older Cherry brand keyboards in the G80 or G81 lines most notably those that have part numbers ending in S**XX or H**XX where XX=some 2 letter language code designating the layout.

Offline OldDogmeat

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 02:00:21 »
It depends which revision you have. The newest one use 1.25 size for the ctrl/win/fn/alt key. If all those keys on your Choc is the same size, then yes you can buy those from EK to have proper fitment. Older revisions used 1.5/1 unit keysizes for those bottom row key.
Most key is 1 unit and it have a sculpted profile with 4 different key shapes named B-E or 1-4 depending on which manufacturer. Besides the spacebar on Choc, all the other keys are common sizes used on many other keyboard. backspace is 2, tab and \| is 1.5, caps lock is 1.75, enter is 2.25, left shift is 2.25, and right shift 1.75.

Signature Plastics keys DO NOT match perfectly with Cherry profile so I would not use those. Stick with Cherry if you're going to mix match to keep everything uniform.

Other choice for Cherry profile is my groupuys here on the forums, originative, and salvaging them from older Cherry brand keyboards in the G80 or G81 lines most notably those that have part numbers ending in S**XX or H**XX where XX=some 2 letter language code designating the layout.

Great info again Ivan, thanks; Ill stick with the Cherry profile keys as you suggest and be sure to have a look at your group buys.  :thumb: