Author Topic: Heavy iOS users  (Read 2555 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Heavy iOS users
« on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 05:56:50 »
Alright so I've been an iPhone user for coming upto four years and it's beginning to take it's toll... I use my phone as basically a replacement for my laptop when I'm out (as I don't need a laptop for work) and for most things it's been ok... But iOS7 has kinda screwed how I use my phone speed wise and it's pushing me away to look at other options... But I don't want this thread to be about that so much...

I'm more interested in what other heavy iOS users use for there daily grind:
I used to be a chrome guy on iOS but since the update it's been a horrible experience, keyboard flipping out appearing/disappearing for no reason causing me to accidentally click random links. Being slow as **** and when moving from 3G to wifi or just in and out kf wifi/3G refusing to connect... So for that I've gone back to safari... But I don't like so much how it works... Any one know of better options?

Also I'm trying to find a decent app for lists/note taking as notes and reminders are pretty **** and notes seems to randomly email me my notes (or they appear in mailbox?)

One last Q... Is the a better multi-task switcher or actual multi-tasker hacked into jailbroken iOS 7? Or hacks that disable ALL animations? Simply using half the functions on my phone now takes double sometimes x4s the length of time it used too thanks to these retarded new animations

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Heavy iOS users
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 08:47:50 »
Also I'm trying to find a decent app for lists/note taking as notes and reminders are pretty **** and notes seems to randomly email me my notes (or they appear in mailbox?)

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar and check if you have "Notes" turned on in your email accounts.  This may explain why your notes appear both in the Notes app and in your email.

One last Q... Is the a better multi-task switcher or actual multi-tasker hacked into jailbroken iOS 7? Or hacks that disable ALL animations? Simply using half the functions on my phone now takes double sometimes x4s the length of time it used too thanks to these retarded new animations

If you're jailbroken, you can speed up the animations with NoSlowAnimations.  Once installed, go to Settings > NoSlowAnimations then enable it and set the speed to 0.0.

In addition to this, you could also reduce the animations:
     Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > On

Hope this helps. :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 08:55:14 »
Cheers for the notes settings! I kinda knew about the rest though, animation speed up if it works like it used too just causes other problems, for example loading animation just spins like crazy. I used to have it on iOS 6 and it just tended to cause more problems than it solved

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 09:10:35 »
Cheers for the notes settings! I kinda knew about the rest though, animation speed up if it works like it used too just causes other problems, for example loading animation just spins like crazy. I used to have it on iOS 6 and it just tended to cause more problems than it solved

Didn't try it on iOS6...only felt the need to speed up animations in iOS7 since they just seem to take too long.

I haven't encountered the hyper loading animation with NoSlowAnimations.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 22:25:12 »
I won't be upgrading to IOS 7 anytime soon. I'm very happy with IOS 6 as I've got it pretty customized. Also, my wife's phone with IOS 7 gives me motion sickness.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 02:00:03 »
There is only one REAL IOS, and it came way before Apple's.  I have logged thousands of hours on and loved 12.4, but sadly those days are over.  15 is great and all, but I see bad things in the future for students trying to learn IOS.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 03:00:52 »
I've been an iOS user since iPhone 3GS came out. I've jailbroken each iOS tethered and untethered. I have not tried it on ios7 though. But I think I see a problem. You only have 3G? We have 4g lte and even 4g hpsa+ both way faster. But I agree the animations slow **** down. I am back to using safari and notes as well. I'm just used to them. I am always on my phone. Love it. Wish the screen was bigger but not the phone. So if they make the phone bigger for iPhone 6 I may not upgrade. Hence why I hate most android / windows because of how big they are when trying to call or hold for web and typing. But yes I love ios and plan to stay.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 06:12:41 »
3G isn't the problem as I mostly use it connected to wifi but 4g plans in the UK are pointless becaue the dl limit is the same as 3G lol

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 06:41:19 »

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 17:12:06 »
Show Image

Show Image

^ he looks pretty heavy.

Why discriminating against skinny iOS users?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 02:20:07 »
Show Image

Show Image

^ he looks pretty heavy.

Why discriminating against skinny iOS users?

First pic the user is heavy. Second pic iOS is heavy..... Had some trouble figuring out what the OP meant...   ;)
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Altis

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:50:34 »
OP, I am in the same boat with you as far as the speed of iOS 7... it's down to a crawl. 7.1 is supposed to address that though and is on beta 4 now, so within 1-2 months expected release.

My girlfriend's iPhone is still on iOS 6... it's absurd how much quicker it is. The number of times I start typing on the keyboard before it starts paying attention......

You can turn off the animations through Accessibility ""Reduce Motion" (also disables parallax)... the animations are gone, but the huge gaps in touch response are still there.

As for web browsers, I've heard good things of Opera and Atomic, although I haven't used either in quite some time.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Abe

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:15:22 »
iOS 7 is the exact reason why I used to (and am going back to) hating and rubbishing Apple. An update for a product that is used by millions to do daily tasks and it has reversed the quality of the user experience.

It's simply like they didn't test it and just went "ok here you guys go, now keep buying our products". The amount of bugs that you get simply switching between apps is absurd and that is something that would have been obvious after some thorough testing of people's actual workflow.

Personally don't have 4G but my friends that do have said it only makes a difference when your in central London as they don't get any benefits even in the outskirts of London.

I have used Atomic for browser a little bit before iOS 7 and it was good, has alot of useful features especially if your doing any web design related work. Although since upgrading to iOS 7 I've only used Safari.

I'll be switching to an Android as my main phone when I can find a decent price for a Samsung S4.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:18:54 »
I'll be switching to an Android as my main phone when I can find a decent price for a Samsung S4.

Yeah come my upgrade (which is around the time the iphone 6 will be shown off) I'll be taking a serious look at android... iOS7 is awful and is making it so painful to use my iphone... ive always had a problem with how narrow the phone was due to the size of my hands, but the fact they have done nothing to help people like me with the keyboard and have only made the rest of the OS worse makes me think they have lost the plan behind the iphone... and I'm getting pretty tired of the updates that add almost nothing of any value

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 02:29:53 »

Yeah come my upgrade (which is around the time the iphone 6 will be shown off) I'll be taking a serious look at android... iOS7 is awful and is making it so painful to use my iphone... ive always had a problem with how narrow the phone was due to the size of my hands, but the fact they have done nothing to help people like me with the keyboard and have only made the rest of the OS worse makes me think they have lost the plan behind the iphone... and I'm getting pretty tired of the updates that add almost nothing of any value

Galaxy Note 2 or 3 is nice if you can get used to the size. I use mine (Note 2) as a tablet PC, notepad for ideas, sketchbook (the Wacom technology stylus is accurate and has 1024 pressure levels), e-book reader, phone, games platform and for testing apps I develop.

On most Android phones you can run custom ROMs tailored for people like yourself (from minimalist and business-like to full eye candy and wow-factor) without affecting app compatibility. Lots of options. Also lots more free apps and the same apps are cheaper than their iOS equivalents. Lots of software keyboards to choose from ;)
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 02:39:39 »

This is actually why I stuck with apple. I hate how the android / windows phones are getting wider and wider. Apple stayed the same width, its perfect for vertical mode. I do want a bigger screen but not much wider.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 06:18:22 »

This is actually why I stuck with apple. I hate how the android / windows phones are getting wider and wider. Apple stayed the same width, its perfect for vertical mode. I do want a bigger screen but not much wider.

Yeah I know what you mean, I like the fact that they didn't change the size of the display as wildly as they do with android handsets but the fact the screen is so narrow is really a problem... either that or the fact that you can't change the keyboard at all, coupled with a horrible horrible auto correct that you have no control over makes typing anything of any meaning actually painful.... when not long back using my old Nokia e-something that had a full physical keyboard I would sometimes rather bash out a msg on there than open fb and chat on my pc/laptop...

But yeah like Oobly mentioned so many people rave about the Note's but I really don't fancy something that big and infact the only Android handsets that look even remotly interesting are around the same size as my iPhone 5... but yeah idk I can't see 7.1 bringing anything that will address any problems I have with the OS and I cant see the iphone 6 being wider.... that said...  I still think the nicest phones on the market are the Nokia's... but maaan WinPhone sucks lol....

meh I guess I'll see with time...

BUT I did find something about my iPhone that literally 'just worked' !!! :D :D :D :D

!!!

Literally just turned it on, laptop found the network, entered the password it generated and BOOM pretty fast  3G wireless internet!

Offline Abe

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 06:57:29 »
Strangely that is actually another reason why I wanted to change to Android, I can't tether on iOS without jailbreaking my phone. I'm on GiffGaff which is a sub-network (I guess thats the term, basically it is it's own network but uses the O2 network to provide it's services), so Apple don't recognise it as an official network provider for iOS.

Of course jailbreaking an iPhone isn't really a problem I just feel it's nicer to have these things provided natively rather than having to work around a manufacturers restrictions imposed on the device you've paid for.

Ye I tried the Galaxy Note that a friend had was good phone but like you say the size is something to get used to, thats why I prefer the S4  (or even S3) and it feels like your getting more actual screen space for the size of the device.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 07:26:28 »
Also, the galaxy phones are made like **** and from the cheapest nastiest plastics money can buy... I'm not sure I could devote myself to something that I use so much for two years or so.. when its so horrible and clearly 'designed' by the blind

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 11:12:31 »
Only phone I've thought of switching to is the htc one because it is almost like an iPhone design wise. The rectangle with strip on top and bottom of metal. I like it.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 11:25:33 »
Only phone I've thought of switching to is the htc one because it is almost like an iPhone design wise. The rectangle with strip on top and bottom of metal. I like it.

Yeah my dad has one, it's really nice and they even do a smaller iphone sized version... am super curious about using that with a swipe keyboard