Author Topic: Help choosing caps  (Read 1456 times)

Offline oNinjaDispatcho

Help choosing caps
« on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 10:35:07 »
For my first board, (most likely going to be a QFR), I want to get some aftermarket key caps, as the stock QFR caps are heinous IMO. ALSO: I don't want blank key caps. I can touch type, but every once in a while I glance down...  :rolleyes:
Let me list off info I have found and taken to heart, and please correct any of my misconceptions.
PBT > ABS
PBT thick > PBT regular/thin
Best printing method = double shot
Double shot is most common for ABS
Double shot exists for PBT, but is rare, signature plastics sells DSPBT arrow keys, and only Vortex sells full sets, which are hard to find.
A more common printing method for PBT is dye sublimation, but here and there people have disliked it, so I am wary.

Based on the above, my best bet would be the vortex set of doubleshot PBT, but they're pretty expensive. Also, are they thick or thin PBT?
Are ABS keycaps really that bad? What about dye sublimation?

What do you guys think?
As always, thanks in advance for any feedback.
QFR Mx Reds

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Help choosing caps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 10:41:21 »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 10:56:37 »
A few assumptions I want to challenge:

PBT > ABS

Most agree, some disagree. For instance, GMK thick ABS is way better than Vortex doubleshot PBT (IMO), and I think most would agree with this.

Best printing method = double shot
A more common printing method for PBT is dye sublimation, but here and there people have disliked it, so I am wary.

In most cases dye sublimation is just as good as double shot. The legends might not be quite as crisp, but I don't believe it's frequently noticeable if done well. And sure, dye sub doesn't penetrate through the cap, but unless you're sanding your caps down it just doesn't matter.

Based on the above, my best bet would be the vortex set of doubleshot PBT, but they're pretty expensive. Also, are they thick or thin PBT?

They're thick.

Are ABS keycaps really that bad? What about dye sublimation?

See about for my opinion of dye sublimation. Good ABS is not bad. I'm using Signature Plastics ABS doubleshots right now and I enjoy it just as much as my IMSTO thick PBT.

If you decide to go the route of the Vortex PBT doubleshot, I have a set of red on white that I'd sell at a good price. PM me if you want to talk more. But see comments about about my opinion of good ABS > Vortex PBT ;).

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 11:12:52 »
Haven't tried thick ABS, but the others I have. There are also grades in PBT quality besides just the thickness. Thick keycaps also made the presses feel heavier to me, which I personally didn't really like. My favorite PBT so far was probably the Keycool medium-thick, which is definitely better than stock ABS.

Also, dye sublimation and double shot are equally durable; there are pictures of some old (think 1980s) terminal keyboards with the injection of the double-shot showing. This is an extreme case, though, and I highly doubt anybody will be using their keyboards that much. The disadvantage of sublimation is that you can only put darker colors on, limiting color choices significantly, and, as others mentioned, it's a bit less crisp. However, all of these are really nitpicky and you probably won't notice a difference in looks or durability besides the color.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 11:20:34 »
Like a favorite switch type, it's just personal preference. I prefer Cherry/GMK ABS and POM.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 14:07:57 »
Like a favorite switch type, it's just personal preference. I prefer Cherry/GMK ABS and POM.

Basically this.

You don't know what your "best" "favorite" is until you've tried a bunch of different ones. I personally think doubleshot PBT is a gimmick, and will continue to use my GMK ABS.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline oNinjaDispatcho

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 17:08:50 »
alright thanks for the feedback guys, helped narrow down my choices a lot!  :thumb:
QFR Mx Reds

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 19:12:21 »

Basically this.

You don't know what your "best" "favorite" is until you've tried a bunch of different ones. I personally think doubleshot PBT is a gimmick, and will continue to use my GMK ABS.

It's not really a gimmick though. Yes, it's pointless for the "x color on white" caps that we've seen so far, since that can be done with dyesubs, but its true potential lies in the two-tone sets which are soon to come.