Author Topic: Model M 1390941 Inquiry  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
Model M 1390941 Inquiry
« on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 19:55:03 »
Soooooo... I just bought 6 1390941 for ~$25 each. They are French silver label terminal layout Model Ms.

First off, is that a good deal? I've seen some ANSI silver label terminal boards go for ~$60 + shipping, but does the french layout make it more or less valuable? I've not looked enough to know. Of course, if I wait long enough, someone will buy them for a profitable price, so it's not much of a concern. My mods, however...

My plan with these: They are early Model M, so they have the thick plate and more crisp feel (at least, I assume that as they are silver labels). They are definitely worth bolt modding although cracking will most certainly be an issue. While I'm at it, I'm going to internally Soarer them and add lock lights by carving out the lock light section, drilling/carving holes and placing the sticker there (and adding LEDs of course).

So, secondly: should I make them ANSI or keep them French? I should be able to do this without much trouble with Soarer's and the bolt mod (although it will require ordering keys from Unicomp). Also, will the French boards give different scan codes and is it as easy as I think it will be to make new software using Soarer's? At least one will be made ANSI for my benefit.

Third: is there anything I need to keep in mind bolt modding these? And does anyone have any mods they want to see me do? They have to be reasonable and not expensive, unless you commission one with those mods. That's not my original plan, but I'm not against commissions. (And don't say NKRO. I'm already planning one and it's going to be hell to get it working right, but it will work.)
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
Re: Model M 1390941 Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 01:15:14 »
There's not much information about this particular keyboard. Though it is notable on the deskthority wiki that with IBM "Enhanced keyboards" there is a mix of rubber domes amongst the mix.

Need photos and stuff though, and somewhat am a little inconvinced that these might still be buckling spring keyboards.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 09:19:10 »
There's not much information about this particular keyboard. Though it is notable on the deskthority wiki that with IBM "Enhanced keyboards" there is a mix of rubber domes amongst the mix.

Need photos and stuff though, and somewhat am a little inconvinced that these might still be buckling spring keyboards.

Purchased from this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370987075802

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same guy who had the $55 F122s for sale.

The image shows silver label boards and the serial numbers start with 139 which, to my knowledge, is buckling spring. Plus, I've never ever seen a rubber dome silver label.

I will have in-depth photos of them when they come in the mail, but as of now I'm certain the listing's image is accurate.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 10:40:00 »
Can't find that part number anywhere but I have to believe these are BS.

What'd you pay for shipping?
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:24:46 »
Can't find that part number anywhere but I have to believe these are BS.

What'd you pay for shipping?

$25 was after shipping. And it was actually a little lower. $10 per board ($60) plus $74 shipping total = $134. $22.33 per board. My spending money is now officially gone... Although these are for modification and resale so the investment is not a problem. If they are worth more as French boards, I'll bolt mod them, convert to USB, LED mod and sell them. If they are worth more ANSI, I'll order parts from Unicomp and make them ANSI. They'll look, feel and function like a bolt modded 1390131 if I convert them to ANSI.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 16:46:14 »

Purchased from this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370987075802

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same guy who had the $55 F122s for sale.

The image shows silver label boards and the serial numbers start with 139 which, to my knowledge, is buckling spring. Plus, I've never ever seen a rubber dome silver label.

I will have in-depth photos of them when they come in the mail, but as of now I'm certain the listing's image is accurate.
True, I guess I probably am mistaken considering how there's very little information known about the numbers provided.

Also in hindsight indicating my lack of knowledge (or part thereof) for IBM Buckling spring keyboards. Apologies.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 20:22:06 »
They arrived today (and very well packaged!).

They aren't all the 1390941 like the listing seemed to suggest. They vary between a few different model numbers and ANSI/ISO. All of them are terminal boards and have the silver labels and thick back plate. Aside from some keycap differences, there do not appear to be any major external differences between them. There is also only one so far that will need a bolt mod although I'll likely bolt mod all of them to get some more money out of them when I resell them (and to modify the numpad to the standard layout).
They are:

1390636 15APR86 ANSI
1390636 07APR87 ANSI
1390636 06AUG87 ANSI
1390637 16FEB88 ISO (French)
1390940 14JAN88 ANSI
1390941 17AUG87 ISO (French)

The 1390636 from 1986 has the old style (Model F style) label. It also has the same type of metal backplate that the Model Fs used. It has a gold tint instead of the later silver color. It also has a bad right shift. No matter how many times I re-seat the key, it won't click.

I'll have pictures of the boards, their caps and controller boards later in the week when I have time. I also can't find a single mini USB cable for my Soarer's, so I'll have to test them later as well.

Offline djkib

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:22:56 »
To Aer Fixus - what did you ever do with the batch of keyboards you list here? I am curious if you were able to make any of them work with PS2 or USB connections...

Thanks!