Author Topic: IBM Model M Clicky Keyboard 1395682 Space Saver Industrial starting at $40  (Read 23264 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

Re: IBM Model M Clicky Keyboard 1395682 Space Saver Industrial starting at $40
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:10:30 »
$1,100 was my max bid-- it was the german fellow that outbid me haha.
I bet if I put $2,000 he would have still went past that.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:16:09 »

Was it snoopy? I recall him wanting one pretty bad :P

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:24:11 »

Was it snoopy? I recall him wanting one pretty bad :P

haha, I'm currently only student, so can't afford a board with such a price. :D

And even if I could afford it, not sure if I could justify spending so much...

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:39:40 »
...overbidding early on...it may have gone for less otherwise. Way too much for me to spend but I'm sure the buyer is happy with their purchase.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:56:52 »
...overbidding early on...it may have gone for less otherwise. Way too much for me to spend but I'm sure the buyer is happy with their purchase.

I [could] have boosted the price far beyond that; but I don't think it's worth that much. That, and I really just want a square badge industrial 101 far more.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 20:55:37 »
Incredible! I didn't think it would have broken the $1k barrier.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 21:09:25 »
Incredible! I didn't think it would have broken the $1k barrier.

These items are quite rare. All it takes is 2 buyers with serious lust and equally deep pockets.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 21:26:24 »
    n***o ( 82Feedback score is 50 to 99)      US $400.00   
Jan-23-14 09:50:48 PST

i***e ( 71Feedback score is 50 to 99)      US $105.00

people love ripping themselves off
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline grave00

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 17:05:30 »

I [could] have boosted the price far beyond that; but I don't think it's worth that much. That, and I really just want a square badge industrial 101 far more.

Could have?  Bid what you are willing to pay.   Anything else is stupid.  Would've been fun to watch you just try to jerk the guy around only to get left holding the bag u didn't want.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 17:22:09 »

Could have?  Bid what you are willing to pay.   Anything else is stupid.  Would've been fun to watch you just try to jerk the guy around only to get left holding the bag u didn't want.

I know...he's pretty much admitting to driving the price up artificially. Shill bidding.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 17:44:54 »
It's not shill bidding if you're willing to take the risk of purchasing the item for the higher price. I do this quite often if I get outbid, just out of spite. I try to bid the item up to the new high bidder's maximum bid price.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 17:51:43 »
Shill bidding is defined as "bids on an item with the intent to artificially increase its price or desirability" according to eBay. So, if you are bidding higher just to make someone else pay more you are shill bidding. It doesn't matter if you get stuck with having to pay for it or not.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2014, 17:56:59 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 18:02:12 »
Shill bidding is defined as "bids on an item with the intent to artificially increase its price or desirability" according to eBay. So, if you are bidding higher just to make someone else pay more you are shill bidding. It doesn't matter if you get stuck with having to pay for it or not.

It's only shill bidding if you're doing it in conjunction with the seller.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 18:06:06 »

Technically, you are correct. What is it called when the seller is not involved? Bidding it up? I like to use the term "shill bidding" because of it's negative connotation.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 18:07:33 »

Technically, you are correct. What is it called when the seller is not involved? Bidding it up? I like to use the term "shill bidding" because of it's negative connotation.

Gambling.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 18:11:09 »
Touche.

I call it being a Richard.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 18:30:33 »

WTF?

People bid to a higher price than they are realistically willing to pay, just to prove a point, or cost someone else extra money?

That is perverse and psychopathic.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 18:38:18 »

That'll teach them to outbid me.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 19:20:02 »

At least it isn't shill bidding, which is much worse and potentially illegal.

I'd like to clarify that I *don't* do this, but may be perverse and psychopathic in other respects.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 19:23:03 »
Oh, it's exactly the same as shill bidding. The only difference is which team you are on.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 19:35:08 »
I wish that people would place wanton outrageous bids on the items that I'm selling!

As a buyer, I tend to drop out early if I am not getting a bargain, but as a seller I would welcome crazies to my team.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 20:31:37 »
Oh, it's exactly the same as shill bidding. The only difference is which team you are on.

When I said it wasn't shill bidding you said I was technical correct - the best kind of correct!

The effect is the same, the legality not so much.  eBay policies against shill bidding result in sanctions against the seller includi.....

ha ha, who am I kidding.  eBay doesn't enforce any of their policies.

Offline thecableguy

• Res Ipsa Loquitur
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 20:40:45 »
ha ha, who am I kidding.  eBay doesn't enforce any of their policies.

You can say that again!   :D

Offline semyorka

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 21:58:02 »

Dude.  All you're doing is artificially inflating the market, reducing the chances that you'll be able to buy one in the future at a price that you're more willing to pay.

Not only are you a spiteful psychopath, you're actively working at cross-purposes to your economic interests.s

Looking for a 1387033...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 23:04:50 »

Dude.  All you're doing is artificially inflating the market, reducing the chances that you'll be able to buy one in the future at a price that you're more willing to pay.

Not only are you a spiteful psychopath, you're actively working at cross-purposes to your economic interests.s

I don't think I singlehandedly inflated the price of Yashica rangefinder cameras in 2001-2002, but then again maybe it was me.

I've been eBaying since 1998, so I'm probably okay.

in memoriam

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 23:14:04 »

I don't think I singlehandedly inflated the price of Yashica rangefinder cameras in 2001-2002, but then again maybe it was me.

I've been eBaying since 1998, so I'm probably okay.
You've been eBaying longer than I've been alive!

---
Perhaps I see things froma different perspective than you people here, but I see a huge difference between a shill bid and someone bidding the price up for their own reasons. Callig it "gambling" is indeed a good term for it.

I identify as a non-consequentialist, philosophically.

So if this "gambling" and shill  bidding have the same effect (or consequence) then it matters not to me. All that matters is the motives and intentions that go into it.

A shill bidder is doing something wrong, whereas a "gambler" might be doing something wrong (Not taking an ethical stance either way on that: beyond the scope of the post here) but since they have entirely different motivations then the actions are worlds apart morally, even if they have the same consequence.

Now, if petty revenge is "perverse and psychopathic" or not, That's not for me to say, but I would think it's not as bad as all that, especially since most people do it.

B'sides arguably it's not hurting the buyer at all, for them to pay a higher price: they bid that much in the first place, and were therefore willing to pay that much for it. It also helps the seller, (and yourself, arguably, if you get some satisfaction from saying "so there") so from a utilitarian perspective then it's the only moral course of action.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 02:20:55 »

WTF?

People bid to a higher price than they are realistically willing to pay, just to prove a point, or cost someone else extra money?

To be honest, I don't care how much it cost the guy-- *he* was willing to pay that much, as was I. And for all intents and purposes, due to the fact he tried sniping at the last minute, he's probably enthralled with getting it. And it'll probably be neat once cleaned up.

I just think I should have put my max bid a little higher (to like $1,300). It would have been more invigorating that way. Bidding wars can be pretty fun for me, whether I win or lose.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 02:24:52 »

Note to self: never outbid JD.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 06:29:48 »
Nice, you went ahead and bid up the price and then got some nice feelings by posting your price boosting victory on the recycling forum. :)
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 06:57:12 »

You've been eBaying longer than I've been alive!

Wait, what?

You are 17?

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 09:19:48 »
Wait, what?

You are 17?

I misread it as 1988 too. kek