Author Topic: Keyboards with stiff switches  (Read 743 times)

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

Keyboards with stiff switches
« on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 00:39:45 »
I'm going to pull the trigger on a TKL soon. I'm looking at boards with stiffer switches and preferably have some sort of tactile feedback. It can be noisy, or not.

I've been using a board with reds and it's way too light. I bottom out and hit extra keys by accident too easily. I've tried browns and blues and they make bottoming out a little less jarring, but it still happens.

I'm mainly looking at stiffer switches to avoid accidentally hitting other keys while typing. For example rubber domes and scissor switches make it easy to rest my hands / fingers on the keys, but my reds make this impossible.

I'm looking at a Matias Mini Quiet Pro and a CM QF Stealth with greens. Does anybody have any recommendations with these or another board? I'd consider clear switches, but they seem to be unavailable at the sources I've checked. Thanks in advance.

Offline intelli78

Re: Keyboards with stiff switches
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 00:42:48 »
How about the RF 87U 55g that's on sale this week at EK? Fits your criteria quite nicely and the price has never been lower.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 01:07:58 »
The RF boards do look nice and I've heard nice things about them. Without testing one in person and given EK's "screw you" return policy I'm hesitant about dropping that much money, even on a sale.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 03:54:23 »
Well, at the very worst if you don't like it, you can sell it on the classified here and lose maybe $30. Is it worth $30 to try a Topre 55g keyboard from heaven handmade by angels?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 07:02:03 »
Buckling springs (IBM Model M/F) will give you the most precise actuation experience.

If you like Cherries, get green switches with thin soft-to-medium O-rings.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015