Author Topic: If you're right handed, then why the h3ll are you using a right-handed keyboard?  (Read 7541 times)

Offline FinancialWar

The logic is simple, you have two hands, left and right. When you buy a pair of gloves, it comes in left and right, one for your right hand and one for your left hand.

The some logic applies to everything you do, even in computer peripherals, your mouse and keyboard should come in a pair too, one for your right hand and one for your left hand. If your right handed, then you should get a right handed mouse, and a left handed keyboard so that you can control the mouse with your right and enter numbers with your left hand, this would also reduce the number of times your right hand have to leave the mouse to the numpad when you want to input numbers and reduce the distance your right hand have to travel between the mouse and the alphabet keys and distribute the control more equally between your two hands.

If you have two right handed peripheral, you're pretty stupid IMO. It's like wear two right handed gloves and shoes.

peace out.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline plainbriny

I am right-handed, but I use a left-handed mouse.
However, I have a layer of mouse keys in my keyboard (thanks hasu for the amazing tmk firmware!), and hopefully I can reduce my reliance on mouse one day. This way, I don't need to move my hand away from the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 February 2014, 19:10:40 by plainbriny »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
I am left-handed, but I use a right-handed mouse.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
A keyboard is for two hands, so you're pretty stupid IMO. Now if you get a mouse that can be controlled by something other than one of those hands, then you're doing something.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

I'm not sure if this is a rant or a troll. I'd say it might be serious, but he doesn't suggest something like one of the one-handed keyboards that do exist. Also, his signature has a bunch of normal keyboards which are two-handed.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
TLDR version:
LCARS or GTFO.

Offline FinancialWar

I'm have to use right handed keyboard because the Bloomberg keyboards I use at work does not have a left handed version. I just bought the left handed edition Naga. So it's a perfect combination. Please number entry is more important for me than accurate mouse movement since I work in the bank. Now it's just a matter of convince the IT department letting install AutoHotkeys on my work computer.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Then get a separate numpad and put it on the left side.
Geez.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Why the h3ll are you using a naga at a bank?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 February 2014, 19:41:03 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline FinancialWar

Why the h3ll are you using a naga at a bank?

The ability to macro and automate executions? There is never enough money to be made in derivatives market.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
A keyboard is for two hands, so you're pretty stupid IMO.

My thoughts exactly...
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline FinancialWar

My thoughts exactly...

so you guys type on keyboard 100% of the time when using your computer??

Most people spend mouse of the time on the mouse, if you macro Ctrl and Alt key to your mouse, you can execute windows shorts without moving your hand off your mouse.

Offline Snarfangel

Then get a separate numpad and put it on the left side.
Geez.

Or get a matrix POS keyboard, and program the middle as your number pad.

Hey, don't laugh. I'm going to do that once NewEgg sends me my caps. I have 142 glorious places to put labels on my new point of sale keyboard.

Well, okay, you can laugh if you really want.   :))

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

My thoughts exactly...

Most people spend mouse of the time on the mouse, if you macro Ctrl and Alt key to your mouse, you can execute windows shorts without moving your hand off your mouse.

I spend as much time on the keyboard as possible. I find it more comfortable. Also, I'm a software developer so moving my hand away to the mouse is less efficient.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
2 Right hand Keyboard
http://i.imgur.com/6MKrE4c.jpg
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
The logic is simple, you have two hands, left and right. When you buy a pair of gloves, it comes in left and right, one for your right hand and one for your left hand.

The some logic applies to everything you do, even in computer peripherals, your mouse and keyboard should come in a pair too, one for your right hand and one for your left hand. If your right handed, then you should get a right handed mouse, and a left handed keyboard so that you can control the mouse with your right and enter numbers with your left hand, this would also reduce the number of times your right hand have to leave the mouse to the numpad when you want to input numbers and reduce the distance your right hand have to travel between the mouse and the alphabet keys and distribute the control more equally between your two hands.

If you have two right handed peripheral, you're pretty stupid IMO. It's like wear two right handed gloves and shoes.

peace out.

I'm way ahead of you bro.  I've been left-handing my keypad for years.  Welcome to teh new way.

Wow, I just read the other comments.  The old ways die hard at GH.  Nobody wants to keypad with their left hand I guess.  Too much strain on the brain.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 February 2014, 22:36:35 by eth0s »
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline angelic_sedition

My thoughts exactly...

As opposed to typing on the mouse? If you use the mouse, you still need the keyboard (unless you're a masochist and into typing with a virtual keyboard.. click.. letter.. move click letter). I only use the mouse for gaming or if I'm feeling lazy.. and then I usually just use half of the keyboard. "Most people spend mouse of time on the mouse." Some of us aren't content with such inefficiency (and wrist pain).
QWERTY(104wpm) -> CarpalxQ(modded) -> Colemak(118wpm) -> Colemak-DH
Mouse less.

Offline tbc

? using the mouse causes wrist pain?  i've actually never heard of that.  try a logitech performance mouse, very ergonomic.  most people use flat mice.  that's goofy

op is right btw.  this is just an old habits die hard thing.  people would go berserk if they had to change.  something about inferiority complex where learning a new skill and being bad with it makes people feel insecure.

at the least,  TRY using a left handed mouse before you say it's a stupid idea (who am i kidding - this is not happening).

EDIT:

my bad, I HAVE heard about mouse usage causing hand pains.  it's caused by rotating on the wrist instead of using your shoulder to move your whole arm.  from what i've heard, people use their wrist because it feels like less movement and therefore more efficient.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 February 2014, 23:25:07 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Hull

• I like everything with great quality and soul.
my bad, I HAVE heard about mouse usage causing hand pains.  it's caused by rotating on the wrist instead of using your shoulder to move your whole arm.  from what i've heard, people use their wrist because it feels like less movement and therefore more efficient.

I tried that myself. Lift your arm off the desk and start using the shoulder instead... I find it most annoying in so many ways. Arm = heavy, hand = light.

Offline FinancialWar

so using keyboard does not cause RSI but mouse will?

Offline wuqe

Right handed, mouse left. Also, Ergodox with numpad layer, but I don't find myself mousing and numpadding simultaneously.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Any ambidextrous peeps?

Offline hoggy

Hey, play nice. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 February 2014, 06:45:48 by hoggy »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline kod

I switch trackball from right side to left side every couple weeks / month to change up repetitive stress.

I'm not fully ambidextrous (couldn't sign my name left-handed), but mousing is no problem.

Offline Snarfangel

I switch trackball from right side to left side every couple weeks / month to change up repetitive stress.

I'm not fully ambidextrous (couldn't sign my name left-handed), but mousing is no problem.

If they would make a floor trackball the size of one of those inflatable balls you sit on, I could surf the net and get my exercise at the same time. I'd have the legs of an athlete and no RSI.

Offline FinancialWar

since when did geekhack have mods?

Back in the good old days when Ripster was here, no mods and absolute freedom of speech and unlimited spams.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Where the hell have you been?

The "good ole days" ended a couple years ago.  Now everything here is just "meh" for the most part (with a few exceptions).
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline nomaded

I think something like this http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/onehand-20-keyboard-t6617.html would be an interesting pairing with a pointing device for the other hand.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline Lanx

Back in the good old days when Ripster was here, no mods and absolute freedom of speech and unlimited spams.

yea, no thx to the dark age of spam where one unruley user loved seeing his post count go up.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love

The good old days when r!pster was here?   You mean you liked plodding through r!pster's 50,000 spam posts?  Hmm.   Let me summarize all 50K posts:  Filco's do not ping.  If you think you hear a ping, it's all in your head.  it takes 20 nickels to depress a Cherry MX Black switch.  ABS plastic gets shiny over time.  If you can't afford to buy a new keyboard, it's because you're poor.  And finally R!pster is a virulent racist.  Did you like that?  And now you miss it?  for reals?  If yes, then good news:  you can still enjoy your punishment at reddit.   Your freedom to be abused is preserved over there.  Feel free to go there, and have fun with the 'ol R!pster.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Linkbane

My thoughts exactly...

As opposed to typing on the mouse? If you use the mouse, you still need the keyboard (unless you're a masochist and into typing with a virtual keyboard.. click.. letter.. move click letter). I only use the mouse for gaming or if I'm feeling lazy.. and then I usually just use half of the keyboard. "Most people spend mouse of time on the mouse." Some of us aren't content with such inefficiency (and wrist pain).

Agreed. I'd honestly rather keep my hand on the keyboard than on the mouse. Having a 60% keyboard, it's hardly a movement to reach for the mouse. I'd never be using the mouse and keyboard at the same time unless I was playing games.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Linkbane

The good old days when r!pster was here?   You mean you liked plodding through r!pster's 50,000 spam posts?  Hmm.   Let me summarize all 50K posts:  Filco's do not ping.  If you think you hear a ping, it's all in your head.  it takes 20 nickels to depress a Cherry MX Black switch.  ABS plastic gets shiny over time.  If you can't afford to buy a new keyboard, it's because you're poor.  And finally R!pster is a virulent racist.  Did you like that?  And now you miss it?  for reals?  If yes, then good news:  you can still enjoy your punishment at reddit.   Your freedom to be abused is preserved over there.  Feel free to go there, and have fun with the 'ol R!pster.

The only posts I've read from him were a pretty ignorant bunch of crap which was quoted in an old thread about degradation and unevenness in Topre boards. It's sad how on Reddit he's still banging on about 'geekwhackers' while he's a lonely little sasquatch moderating children on reddit.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline fatmav

The numpad on a "right-handed keyboard" (according to the OP) was designed for left-hand use. In the 80s, right-handed accountants would physically shift the keyboard towards the left, put the paperwork close to the tiny computer screen, and hold a pen with the right hand to cross out / mark over entries. That was a common scene to me when I was growing up. This theory is also supported by the placement of the operator keys: Enter and Plus are the most commonly-used keys and are therefore designated to the stronger fingers (index and thumb).

Offline Snarfangel

The numpad on a "right-handed keyboard" (according to the OP) was designed for left-hand use. In the 80s, right-handed accountants would physically shift the keyboard towards the left, put the paperwork close to the tiny computer screen, and hold a pen with the right hand to cross out / mark over entries. That was a common scene to me when I was growing up. This theory is also supported by the placement of the operator keys: Enter and Plus are the most commonly-used keys and are therefore designated to the stronger fingers (index and thumb).

That is interesting. I prefer how a touch-tone phone number pad is laid out over the numeric keypad EXCEPT for the placement of zero (I think zero should go on the top-center rather than bottom center, though I know why the phone company  did it that way, since it mimicked the order of a phone dial. Of all the layouts they tested, they never tried any where the 0 was before the 1). Put the 0 in the top center so I can poke it with my middle finger, go 1-2-3 all the way down, and put the enter key somewhere under the right thumb. Then figure our where to put the arithmetic keys...

I just might program the POS keyboard I have for something like that. Sounds fun!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

yea, no thx to the dark age of spam where one unruley user loved seeing his post count go up.

Now we have many ruled users who love to see their post count go up.

Offline FinancialWar

Who the h3ll in the right mind would care about post count on a internet forum?

Offline PointyFox

According to your logic, right handed people should also buy a right-handed ladder, right-handed shovel, right-handed baseball bat..

Offline FinancialWar

According to your logic, right handed people should also buy a right-handed ladder, right-handed shovel, right-handed baseball bat..

Are you high?

Have you ever seen a right handed and left handed baseball bat or ladder? These items are symmetrical, they are exactly the same when used by the right hand or the left hand.

Does the keyboard look symmetrical to you?

Offline PointyFox

Are you high?

Have you ever seen a right handed and left handed baseball bat or ladder? These items are symmetrical, they are exactly the same when used by the right hand or the left hand.

Alright then:  right-handed piano and right-handed guitar?

Offline Linkbane

Are you high?

Alright then:  right-handed piano and right-handed guitar?

Your trolling is confusing. Have you ever seen a guitar or piano? A keyboard is designed for different-handed users for the mouse, literally every item you mentioned is completely ambidextrous.

Offline jacobolus

The guy is trolling you all so hard. Why is anyone humoring him. See his other posts e.g. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54639 http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54631
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2014, 21:17:48 by jacobolus »

Offline Linkbane

The guy is trolling you all so hard. Why is anyone humoring him. See his other posts e.g. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54639 http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54631

We all know he's trolling, LOL. It's just sad that people can't come up with a coherent response to trolling that doesn't make themselves look like the idiot.

Offline FinancialWar

There is no response, my thread is the truth. I have layout my arguments in the first point, I have give out the reasons why I think that right handed users are using the wrong keyboard.

How is that trolling.

Offline Linkbane

There is no response, my thread is the truth. I have layout my arguments in the first point, I have give out the reasons why I think that right handed users are using the wrong keyboard.

How is that trolling.

Hi ripster.

Offline FinancialWar

lol, good one. 1342 post in just 5 months and you calling me ripster.

Offline PointyFox

Pianos and guitars are ambidextrous in the same way a keyboard is.  None of them are symmetrical and all are used with two hands in a particular orientation regardless of handedness; and yes, I play both piano and guitar.

Offline FinancialWar

Pianos and guitars are ambidextrous in the same way a keyboard is.

:eek: