Author Topic: Space thumb and Shift  (Read 3720 times)

Offline ianxblog

• no
Space thumb and Shift
« on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 22:21:58 »
This thread is for only curious purposes.

Im wondering what thumb you guys use to hit your spacebar. Left hand thumb, right hand thumb, or both?
Also, what shift key do you use? Left Shift, Right Shift, or both?

I personally use my left hand thumb to hit the spacebar and I use the left shift for caps.
If I had to choose a never used key on my keyboard I don't know if I would choose right shift or pause/break. :p

:thumb:

Offline plainbriny

Re: Space thumb and Shift
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 02:03:01 »
This thread is for only curious purposes.

Im wondering what thumb you guys use to hit your spacebar. Left hand thumb, right hand thumb, or both?
Also, what shift key do you use? Left Shift, Right Shift, or both?

I personally use my left hand thumb to hit the spacebar and I use the left shift for caps.
If I had to choose a never used key on my keyboard I don't know if I would choose right shift or pause/break. :p

:thumb:

I am using ErgoDox, and I use my left thumb for space. The same key is assigned as shift.
Tap will give space, hold it and it will function as shift.
No pinky finger for shifts ever!!
Using TMK firmware has enabled such dual-role keys. They are now a must-have if I ever consider a new keyboard.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 04:32:56 »
I used to use both thumbs on non-split keyboards, never learned to alternate them though. However, since I got the ErgoDox and Kinesis Advantage, it's only the right thumb.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 04:43:25 »
On a “standard” keyboard, I use left thumb for space, and right pinky for most capital letters [but use left pinky for shifted symbols on the right half of the keyboard].

On any keyboard where I have control of the mapping, I try to use a thumb for shift, left thumb for space, right thumb for delete.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 05:58:04 »
How about using the space bar as spaceand shift?  Take it one step further and use the space bar as space and shift into another layer - SpaceFN layout - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51069.0
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 14:50:03 »
Right thumb for Space, both left and right shifts depending on if the shifted letter is a left hand or right hand one.

Now I use right thumb for space, enter, alt and ctrl. Left thumb for shift, backspace, tab and layer.  ;) DIY ergo board.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 15:28:46 »
I starting using both shifts about a year ago to even out the usage of my pinkies. It was pretty easy as far as changes go. For space, I use my right thumb only. Horrible shine on my space bar as a result.

Offline pyro

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 05:02:01 »
I went from only using the left shift to using both shifts correctly, then to using TAB and /? keys as shift keys to only using left shift mapped on capslock.

From all of these I found TAB and /? as shift keys the most convenient, but /? is too important a key to lose or remap to a location that's harder to reach.

ps
I also used a thumb key as shift for a while, which was pretty nice, too, but this only works on keyboards with thumb keys. Remapping space to both shift and space (hold to shift, press down and release without extra keys for space) slowed down typing too much for me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 February 2014, 05:10:09 by pyro »

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 20:17:59 »
Left shift only. In fact, I very rarely if ever use the right-side modifier keys. Also, I usually press the left side mods, including shift, with my thumb, not my pinky.

Right thumb only for the space bar.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 20:31:37 »
Left shift for everything, right thumb for space while typing, WASD + Left thumb when gaming.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Tony

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 00:50:29 »
I touch type with alternative Shifts (opposite side of the key to be SHIFTed), but use only left thumb for Space bar.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 February 2014, 00:52:44 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 01:01:15 »
you want space+shift when press is space when you hold is shift :eek:
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:38:47 »
Left shift only. In fact, I very rarely if ever use the right-side modifier keys. Also, I usually press the left side mods, including shift, with my thumb, not my pinky.

Right thumb only for the space bar.

Left shift for everything, right thumb for space while typing, WASD + Left thumb when gaming.

Me too xD
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline nomaded

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 15:07:58 »
On a normal, staggered keyboard, I hit space with my right thumb, and alternate shift, unless I'm typing a word in allcaps, then I just hold shift down with my left pinky; I swap the capslock key for control.

For the last several weeks, I've been trying to alternate shifts with my thumbs, on an ErgoDox. Today, I finally gave up on that experiment, because I found my thumbs confusing the shift keys with space and backspace (right thumb gets space and enter; left thumb gets backspace, delete, and control). It was happening enough that it was annoying me. Now, I need to get used to having shift on my pinkies again.

And for an additional datapoint, on a TECK, I have space on my right thumb, backspace on my left thumb, enter usually on my right thumb. I alternate shift with my pinkies, and only hit control with my left pinky.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout