Author Topic: Question for MacBook users with ADB peripherals  (Read 3287 times)

Offline FKSSR

Question for MacBook users with ADB peripherals
« on: Sat, 14 March 2009, 12:57:49 »
I bought a Macally MK96, and I'm trying to use it on a MacBook.  I bought a Compucable Mini-ADB adapter, but it's not working correctly.  

The computer runs slowly when it is plugged in, and all the keys register at least two strokes to my one actual stroke.  So, for example, when I tried to type "bankofamerica.com," it showed "bbbaannnnnkkkkkkooffffaaaammmmeerrriiiccccaaaa..cccooomm" or something like that (not exactly but that's what it looked like). :)

I emailed the company, but I'm guessing they will just say that MacBook or OS X Tiger does not support the mini-adb adapter.

Has anyone been able to get this adapter to work with a MacBook with OS X?  

Does anyone know whether the Griffin definitely works with MacBook?

Thanks!
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 March 2009, 13:28:20 »
Woah.  Weird.  So, first, I tried the keyboard with my PC notebook with the adapter.  Perfecto!  Without any software...

Then, I plugged the adapter back into the running Mac.  The keyboard worked perfectly for about 30 seconds or so in the browser.  I stopped typing in Firefox (it still seemed to be working), and I opened Word to test more.  By the time I started typing in Word, it was duplicating strokes and slowing down the computer again.

Before (when I first tried the adapter), I had shut down the MacBook, plugged in the adapter and keyboard and then started the Mac.  A screen then popped up asking me to press the key to the right of the left shift key and then press the key to the left of the right shift key.  I pressed each one time.  I didn't use Word the first time.

So, it seems like the keyboard may work natively but some Mac program/script may be messing it up after it kicks in.

I don't know much of anything about Macs.  Is it likely that the MacBook is identifying the keyboard wrong and messing up the way it is working?  Would there be a way to fix this?

Can I try to redo that process of pressing the keys?  I don't think the latter will work as I know I only pressed each key one time, quickly, but I'd try it again if it could help.

I'm just super suspicious after seeing the keyboard and adapter work perfectly for that brief period of time.

Thanks!

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 March 2009, 15:46:28 »
I'm guessing there's a bug of some sort in the firmware of the iMate, or maybe it's doing something not quite kosher, triggering a bug in the USB stack in OS X.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 March 2009, 16:21:19 »
He's not using an iMate, he's using a compucable mini-adb adapter...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 March 2009, 16:30:03 »
Oh. That's what I get for not reading carefully.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 March 2009, 16:35:05 »
I had two different kinds of ADB adapters and used them on, get this, two different MacBooks with two different MK96s and I never had any of the troubles you are describing. I think your adapter is bad.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 March 2009, 16:36:27 »
yeah, that could be the issue.  I'm hoping there is a way to get updated software for the compucable, because the software that came with it wouldn't install.  It said that it was not supported by the OS or something like that...

Offline adamrice

• http://8stars.org/
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 March 2009, 17:45:22 »
I'm using an ADB keyboard (Datadesk 101e) with the Griffin iMate on a G5 iMac. From what I understand, you really want the iMate (which requires no driver software). Mine hasn't given me a lick of trouble.
Adam Rice • Japanese-English translator • 8stars.org

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 March 2009, 23:33:51 »
Quote from: adamrice;24490
I'm using an ADB keyboard (Datadesk 101e) with the Griffin iMate on a G5 iMac. From what I understand, you really want the iMate (which requires no driver software). Mine hasn't given me a lick of trouble.

I see the 101e in your avatar.  I wonder if we are the only two geekhackers to own one of these.  :)

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 March 2009, 11:25:48 »
Darn, I guess I do need the iMate.

This is the answer I got from Compucable:

USB-ADB adapter is several years old and is not compatible with OS10 (even 10.1).

This largely is due to the fact that Apple did not support legacy ADB devices in the new OS.

What you're experiencing is 'normal' behavior as it seems to 'partially' work in OS X.  There's really not supoprt for this product in OS X.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 March 2009, 11:45:39 »
Alright, well, I'm going to see if someone is using a PC and is willing to trade an iMate for my Compucable.  Otherwise, I'll just have to sell it and take a little loss.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 March 2009, 12:52:28 »
Just to update, I got a Griffin iMate, and now the MK96 works fine with the MacBook.

I'm going to be using the Compucable with the Mac-101e on my PC I'll be getting shortly, since the Compucable didn't seem to have problems with my PC.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 March 2009, 16:31:55 »
Glad you got it all worked out. Anytime you have keyboard trouble, just throw money at it until something works ;)