Author Topic: Finally bought a keyboard  (Read 986 times)

Offline charlaph

Finally bought a keyboard
« on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 13:09:38 »
Hi all! I've found this forum a very useful repository of information (and some humour) over the past couple of months while preparing for a purchase, so figured I'd better do the decent thing and register.

I've been interested in mechanical keyboards since my friend got a Filco Majestouch 2 with browns a couple of years ago. A work colleague was so convinced he got a Das with reds, which I didn't really like, but after endless umming and ahhing and missing out on numerous ebay listings by the skin of my teeth, I finally got serious about buying something and bought a KBT Oni the other week. It was pretty much everything I didn't want from a keyboard - ANSI, reds, no backlighting, but the price was too good to ignore, so I took a punt on it.

I love it! seriously, from the first sentence I've been convinced. I was worried that reds would be too light, but so far I haven't had any spurious keypresses when resting my fingers, and I've had a speed boost, albeit with more errors, but I'm still trying to relearn touch typing - I got really fast in uni but only used 7 fingers, so I'm trying to retrain myself to do it properly. The only problem I have is with the lack of backlighting. I hoped it wouldn't be an issue, but the lighting at home is such that when I'm not actively typing then going from staring at the screen reading something to looking down for a key, it takes my eyes a couple of seconds to adjust and find where I am. I'm trying to decide whether to get a Pure Pro with backlighting, or just a lighter set of keycaps....watch this space.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Finally bought a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 13:42:51 »
Hi all! I've found this forum a very useful repository of information (and some humour) over the past couple of months while preparing for a purchase, so figured I'd better do the decent thing and register.

I've been interested in mechanical keyboards since my friend got a Filco Majestouch 2 with browns a couple of years ago. A work colleague was so convinced he got a Das with reds, which I didn't really like, but after endless umming and ahhing and missing out on numerous ebay listings by the skin of my teeth, I finally got serious about buying something and bought a KBT Oni the other week. It was pretty much everything I didn't want from a keyboard - ANSI, reds, no backlighting, but the price was too good to ignore, so I took a punt on it.

I love it! seriously, from the first sentence I've been convinced. I was worried that reds would be too light, but so far I haven't had any spurious keypresses when resting my fingers, and I've had a speed boost, albeit with more errors, but I'm still trying to relearn touch typing - I got really fast in uni but only used 7 fingers, so I'm trying to retrain myself to do it properly. The only problem I have is with the lack of backlighting. I hoped it wouldn't be an issue, but the lighting at home is such that when I'm not actively typing then going from staring at the screen reading something to looking down for a key, it takes my eyes a couple of seconds to adjust and find where I am. I'm trying to decide whether to get a Pure Pro with backlighting, or just a lighter set of keycaps....watch this space.

Just turn on the light in your room  :D . Just joking, welcome to the community.