Author Topic: Avant Stellar replacement/alternative  (Read 4325 times)

Offline zpm

Avant Stellar replacement/alternative
« on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 13:15:28 »
Hello,

I do IT for a architecture firm, and all our draftsman use a CVT Avant Stellar as their keyboard. This is mainly due the the programmable F-row that is on the left hand side of the keyboard. Our company is growing again, and we are running out of keyboards. As CVT got swallowed up some years ago, I'm looking for an alternative board that has a programmable F-row on the left side. I'd like to stay away from 'gaming' keyboards, but these seem to be the only ones that have programmable keys on the left side these days (and require ****ty software).

Also, is there anywhere I can buy individual white alps switches? a couple the boards I have need a few replacements.

Any info would be appreciated!

Offline simon_C

Re: Avant Stellar replacement/alternative
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 14:15:32 »
mechanicalkeyboards.com has alps/matias switches. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=52

-dont know what to tell you about the keyboards though, try the corsair k90 and k95 though. they might work for you.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 March 2014, 14:20:43 by simon_C »

Offline zpm

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 14:34:02 »
Thanks for the link to the switches simon.

I had looked at the K95, which is one of the few options, but only comes in MX reds as far as I can tell.. Ideally we'd want to have blues, or some other tactile switch. I've also heard that only the alphanumeric/mods are mechanical-- F-row and macro keys are rubberdomes. Can anyone confirm this?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 14:39:42 »
You could always get standard basic keyboards like a CM Rapid and something like Genovation 682 to for whatever macros/app launcher etc users want to assign for themselves.

Offline zpm

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 15:01:06 »
This is how it is currently configured on the Avant
57075-0

You could always get standard basic keyboards like a CM Rapid and something like Genovation 682 to for whatever macros/app launcher etc users want to assign for themselves.

The 682 is a bit overkill for this application, but you that did turn me on to the BumpBar 683BB by Genovation.. this is exactly what I'd need if we go with a standalone keyboard, but their website doesn't mention the switch type, just that its cherry. Does anyone have any experience with the bumpbar?

thanks Ivan

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 15:27:24 »
Genovation uses different switch most often brown or black but I have seen some with blue as well... I am not sure. I suppose if you were ordering enough of them they may make them as desired? But that BB model is just a 683 with 2x caps, as in each cap has 2 switch under it.

Offline zpm

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 15:58:21 »
I think the simplified 2x2 is perfect for the draftsmen, and expandable if they desire. I'll contact genovation and see what switches they can do. This will probably be the solution I'll go with, but if anyone has other thoughts please let me know!

Thanks again

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 16:47:37 »
I'd just like to say how awesome it is that your firm cares this much about your workers' typing comfort and productivity.

In a poll here, I'd bet 99% of us have to bring our own mechanical keyboards to work, because company policy is that the $5 rubber dome keyboard that came with the workstation is "good enough".

Offline simon_C

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 16:52:37 »
Yup, TT is right.
myself and another coworker of mine both brought our own keyboards to work.
I'm trying to think of what else you could use....mostly all i'm coming up with is access-is and genovation programmable keypads.

Maybe you could talk to genovation and get something custom configured for your purpose?

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 23:15:45 »
You could always hit up ebay and see if you can find more. Maybe some omnikeys on there too.

If everybody's used to alps, not sure how good an idea mx switches would be. I don't really know of anything else that fits that description though.

Edit: Actually, if you're really really lucky, these might be AT:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55762.0

If they are, then all you need is some adapters; and possibly converters if you can't use PS/2. You may or may not want some battleships though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 March 2014, 01:22:43 by False_Dmitry_II »
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)