Author Topic: Does anyone remember when mx reds were rare?!  (Read 4454 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Does anyone remember when mx reds were rare?!
« on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 14:22:17 »
I feel old remembering how elusive mx reds were.  Does anyone else remember when mx reds weren't readily available?  Remember the Filco Linear R edition...how crazy is that, right?   
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Does anyone remember when mx reds were rare?!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 14:27:46 »
I remember! T'was several years ago when reds were just coming into the mech kb scene.

I was such a newb back then. I didn't even have my first MX board yet...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline mougrim

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 14:28:15 »
Two years ago I even didn't know that there are MX REds in existence. I thought they were either Blue, Black or Brown :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 14:32:41 »
Yeah, I remember when the Linear-Rs were on Amazon, and I impulse bought one when they had 2 left, just because I didn't want to miss out.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 14:34:10 »
I remember that too.  I had a Compaq 11800 with the "ghetto red" mod -- blacks stems + brown springs. Shortly thereafter they stopped being "rare" and EK stocked Leopolds with reds.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:02:07 »
I also remember when the only place to get clears was to find old stuff with them already in it. I read something from awhile ago about them becoming discontinued or something?

That was back before I stopped posting here, and all I had when I started was an acer switches. Which I still like.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:23:19 »
I remember when people would camp the keyboardco vendor page to see when the US shipments carrying Filco MJ2s with Reds would come in. That was only a few years back too.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:41:02 »
I also remember when the only place to get clears was to find old stuff with them already in it. I read something from awhile ago about them becoming discontinued or something?

That was back before I stopped posting here, and all I had when I started was an acer switches. Which I still like.

I'm pretty sure they were headed that way, but with the re-surging popularity of Ergo Clears (not to mention the CODE keyboard selling out in a matter of hours), Cherry should hopefully ramp production of Clears back up.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:45:28 »
My Filco tenkeyless Red from China!  It was LIMITED!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:48:56 »
Anyone remember when these babies were near-mythical?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:51:55 »
Anyone remember when these babies were near-mythical?

Show Image

Oh, those spacebar switches from the Dolch PAC keyboards, you mean? ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:55:58 »
People want what they can't have!

MX Greens are like MX Clears: When EK started carrying FC200R's with Clears everyone bought one - but then as soon as they received them they got dumped in the classifieds :)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:56:18 »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:58:41 »

MX Greens are like MX Clears: When EK started carrying FC200R's with Clears everyone bought one - but then as soon as they received them they got dumped in the classifieds :)

Haha I remember that fiasco well.  The classifieds were flooded with clear Leos that no one wanted. :D

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 17:12:05 »
lol it happened to MX Red too, everyone bought a Linear R even though it was something like $200+.

But as soon they got it then dump it in classifieds and went back to MX Brown.

At the time I was such a noob and didn't have the balls to spend that much on a keyboard.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 17:48:47 »

The same is going to happen to Topre and it's keycaps if the MX sliders thingy works out.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline litster

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 17:56:28 »
Remember when these were rare?

This thread is turning into a thread to remind us the crazy sh!t we do (I did) for our hobby.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 March 2014, 17:58:20 by litster »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 18:01:54 »
Obtaining a Cherry red Escape used to be a noble quest. :D

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=23272

Offline litster

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 18:11:10 »
this is pretty rare

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 18:18:21 »
Or every space bar from every keyboard with MX Blues before Filco came along?
🍉

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 18:42:38 »
Or every space bar from every keyboard with MX Blues before Filco came along?

Allow me to clarify.  This was once a fabled creature that people yearned for but had no hope of attaining:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 20:46:24 »

The same is going to happen to Topre and it's keycaps if the MX sliders thingy works out.

I do hope that's the truth and that they start going for cheaper.  I'd like to try a heavy Topre board on the cheap instead of a way too light 30g one.

Offline litster

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 22:35:28 »
Remember when Topre was rare?  EK was out of stock all the time.  I tried to buy directly from Japan and they just stopped shipping them out of Japan.  I bought my 20th year anniversary edition from South Korea. for $450 shipped.  It *is* a lot cheaper now than before.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:25:58 »
I remember the time you had to import Filcos from Japan because there were no distributors in the west...

Offline mougrim

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 00:01:11 »
Remember when Topre was rare?  EK was out of stock all the time.  I tried to buy directly from Japan and they just stopped shipping them out of Japan.  I bought my 20th year anniversary edition from South Korea. for $450 shipped.  It *is* a lot cheaper now than before.
Still worth a lot, though :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 00:03:28 »
Remember when every computer came with a mechanical keyboard of some sort?

In the good old days, before MX switches were even a thing.

Before robber dome keyboard were conceived.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 00:24:13 »
Allow me to clarify.  This was once a fabled creature that people yearned for but had no hope of attaining:

Show Image

People hated greens before it became hip. People were threatening to return certain keyboards for false advertising because it had green spacebar switches.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 00:39:26 »

Show Image

People hated greens before it became hip. People were threatening to return certain keyboards for false advertising because it had green spacebar switches.

My first Ducky Shine with MX blues had a green switch under the space bar and I didn't even realise!

Now I have a TKL keyboard of all MX green that I don't even use.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 05:27:49 »
My first Ducky Shine with MX blues had a green switch under the space bar and I didn't even realise!
Now I have a TKL keyboard of all MX green that I don't even use.

It's just like one wife per man is enough but 100+ wives per man would be a disaster  :))

//
Just kidding, with all respect to ladies anyway  ;)
I like linear switches

Offline ChronoBodi

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 05:43:32 »
Yea, MX reds became common, that's good. Can the same happen to MX Clears too?
KeyCool 108-key Clear with:
geek_feng thick PBT Arrow Keys
geek_feng Zinc ESC

CM QuickFire XT Brown with:
WASD Red 47-keycap ABS

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 05:49:23 »
Does anyone feel the scratchiness on some Cherry MX Red recently?
Of course, it has nothing to do with keyboard manufacturer.
Is it because of Cherry production line ?
I like linear switches

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 08:52:20 »
^  Yeah I feel the same too.  I never felt any scratchiness on my Filco 1-2 year ago.

But the Poker II I got 5 months ago feels scratchy.

Did Cherry start cutting corner or something?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 09:40:01 »
^  Yeah I feel the same too.  I never felt any scratchiness on my Filco 1-2 year ago.

But the Poker II I got 5 months ago feels scratchy.

Did Cherry start cutting corner or something?

Not sure, but I definitely agree that the Filco Limited R feels better than the Poker, Poker 2, or the Pure.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 09:44:52 »
The linear R was the best Red board I ever tried. Better than the poker, better than the QFR.

Offline aref

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 10:59:43 »
I remember MX Red switches were difficult to get in 2012.

I, too, found three MX Red keyboards, CMQFR/Filco M2/Corsair K65, I owned were the key switches felt scratchy to me.
I would think it's a of the MX Red switch. I gave up on them; they required too little down force for me and I had too many
accidental key strikes. I'm rather heavy handed and I rest my fingers with slight pressure on my keyboards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 23:22:10 »
I have one keyboard with reds, it seems smooth enough.

But then I am used to blacks and greens - maybe I just hammer the keys too much and don't notice.