Author Topic: ever run pearpc or osx86?  (Read 3374 times)

Offline wellington1869

ever run pearpc or osx86?
« on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 19:01:49 »
either technically can allow mac os to run on windows. I'm wondering if either allows drag and drop between the guest (mac os) and host (ms windows.) Cant seem to find this info out there since 99 percent of info on either has to do with 'how to install'.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 20:14:14 »
PearPC makes no sense nowadays.

OSx86 isn't a program to run OS X on Windows, it's slang for running OS X directly on commodity x86 hardware. It DOES allow drag-and-drop with Windows, albeit in a rather roundabout way - install OS X, then install VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop, then install Windows on that.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 23:47:33 »
one day i'm going to do this sacriliegious thing:
-buy a macbook
-wipe it
-install vista (or win7 by the time I have cash for this) on it. As the main and native os for it.
-install vmware and osx as the 'guest' os. Lol.

That would be my perfect machine ;) There's only 2 mac os apps I'd want to use regularly, so it makes sense to me to make mac windows pop up in vista desktop rather than vista windows pop up in the mac desktop. (at least based on the pics I've seen I believe either should be possible).

But then it would be perfect so long as I can drag/drop between mac/vista at that point. Nirvana. Best of both worlds. you *can* have it all. What a country.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 23:49:49 »
Except VMware Fusion is seamless at running Windows on OS X, VMware isn't seamless at running OS X on Windows (and, actually, it may not be possible. At the very least, you'll have to do it as a hackintosh, which will be ugly, and a pain in the ass. Then, you'll have to write VMware Additions for OS X yourself. I hope you know OS X's internals quite well. ;))

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 March 2009, 23:51:47 »
Not to mention Windows STILL doesn't support EFI so you'd have to leave OS X installed just to use bootcamp...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 00:13:59 »
Wait, I thought Vista did support EFI. :confused:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 01:05:22 »
I know macbooks can run vista 'natively'; and i thought i read vmware fusion runs both in parallel... i dont know any deets yet, just wishing out loud for what i'd like :) I think I can come pretty close.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 01:10:42 »
By "parallel," they mean "Windows on top of OS X." :)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 02:29:37 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;25970
By "parallel," they mean "Windows on top of OS X." :)

bummer. :(

Actually I may not even need to do all that really. According to a lifehacker article recently, the synergy project was picked up by google and is in development again. (allows you to use a single keyboard and mouse with multiple computers and in this case also multiple platforms including osx/windows, according to the comments).  The really cool thing about synergy (other than that you dont need to buy a kvm switch) is that (amazingly) it supports clipboard sharing across the screens and across the computers.

In other words, dell on the left, mac on the right, single keyboard and mouse, functionally giving the illusion (for a great many normal processes anyway) of being a single machine.  And whats more, its free!

I'm liking this bilingualism thing, in general. Its really nice to suddenly have two markets to choose one's apps and gadgets from. And macs and windows keep getting more integrated each year anyway. All thats missing is for apple to open up its software for third party hardware makers (or for the hackers to finally get that to work reliably).  (yea, i'mnot holding my breath for either, but then we've seen a lot of suprising changes in strategy in this regard from apple in the last 10 years).

Probably the single biggest thing I didnt like about the mac is the lackof an equivalent for autohotkey (which I've come to depend on SO much). Everytime I type on the mac I really hurt because of that absence. I tried controllermate (a very basic key mapper with a neat design interface) but it basicallly couldnt duplicate the stuff I have in ahk.  Also, everytime I hit a key combo that the foreground app didnt 'natively' recognize, the damn mac would ring its error bell. I verified this with the folks at controllermate. Apparently there's no way around that! Ugh. In other words its really just meant for single key remappings, not complex combination or let alone macros.

So in a way the mac has forced me to re-learn the keyboard that I once got to know in 9th grade typing class, lol.  As I say, its like spanish. I took that in 9th grade too ;) and am thinking of relearning it ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 April 2009, 20:31:59 »
on the topic of remapping keys, found this gem for os x, its no-nag shareware, and while its no autohotkey, is the closest I've seen so far for macs.
its called 'spark'. Its actually a macro creator, but works smoothly as a remapper, can handle combo hotkeys and multiple actions quite well.
http://www.shadowlab.org/Software/spark.php

best of all, its free, which, come on, is an incredible rarity in the mac universe, as I'm finding out.

Now if I can just get the forward/back buttons on my logitech mouse to work on a mac, I'll be golden ;)

Offline lam47

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 02:28:10 »
Hey Welly.
You know that windows 7 beta is free and legal? Its also very close to the RC and valid until 2010. I am running it now rather than vista and could not be more impressed.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 03:03:20 »
Quote from: lam47;26598
Hey Welly.
You know that windows 7 beta is free and legal? Its also very close to the RC and valid until 2010. I am running it now rather than vista and could not be more impressed.

I thought it was only valid until something like August this year. Still, I agree that it's very good and runs much better than Vista.
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline lam47

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 03:22:19 »
7068 is valid until the 2/3/2010 :)
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 04:56:38 »
Quote from: lam47;26602
7068 is valid until the 2/3/2010 :)

Ah, I'm running 7000.
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 05:04:16 »
Quote from: lam47;26598
Hey Welly.

hey thats great - i'm getting a new laptop for work, first thing I'm going to do is dual boot it with win7 :D (I might actually use Virtual PC and run it in parallel with vista, I think the lappie can handle it). Looking forward to it, very exciting.  It should be here in about 10 days.