Author Topic: Ducky key cap question  (Read 1299 times)

Offline hudson0804

Ducky key cap question
« on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 07:23:03 »
Hi folks.

You're all probably sick of me and my dumb questions but I have come up with another. 

I'm starting to understand the different groupings of the keys on a keyboard, alpha numeric modifier etc (naming may not be correct but i'm grasping the concept).

Any how I digress.

I have a ducky keyboard, its come with the standard black keys, I'm looking to make it unique (right place I hear you say) - here's where I fall down, I look in the GB and classified and I'm not sure whether things listed there are going to fit (and rather than asking the same questions over and over) and also whether they're backlight friendly.

I've seen that ducky do a (disappointingly small) number of replacement caps themselves, should I just start there.

I see people who have changed/recoloured their surrounds (is that the correct term for the bit that faces up around the keys..) can I do this..

I appreciate the time you guys spend answering.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Ducky key cap question
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 07:30:10 »
Your Ducky has 108 key 1.25x ANSI layout with the extra 4 keys above the numpad. Most GBs are 104 key 1.25x ANSI. So most GBs you're probably looking at will work except for those four caps above your numpad.

There are a very low amount of backlit legends. I think Ducky is the only company to offer aftermarket caps that are backlit friendly.

I see people who have changed/recoloured their surrounds (is that the correct term for the bit that faces up around the keys..) can I do this..

If you're asking if you can paint your keycaps, you can.

And if you're feeling shy about making all these topics, you can always ask questions in the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:11:02 »
Thanks for the information its rather useful to know what I can start wasting my money on :)

I have plans for the 4 keys you mentioned, they're going to be my audio function keys so new caps will be ordered any how.

I don't think I explained myself very well as to the respray, I meant the enclosure itself, I see folks doing this with the CM storm and wondered if its possible to do the same with a ducky.

With regards to backlight friendly, i'm assuming that if I was to use "non friendly2 caps they would just simply glow in the surround - I can always disable the backlight if needed though.

Another thing that's popped up.  Double shot.  I'm guessing this is the manufacturing process?

again.. a billionty thanks.

H

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:15:27 »
I don't think I explained myself very well as to the respray, I meant the enclosure itself, I see folks doing this with the CM storm and wondered if its possible to do the same with a ducky.

With regards to backlight friendly, i'm assuming that if I was to use "non friendly2 caps they would just simply glow in the surround - I can always disable the backlight if needed though.

Another thing that's popped up.  Double shot.  I'm guessing this is the manufacturing process?

Yes you can paint the case if you like. No reason why you couldn't.

Yes if you didn't get a backlight friendly cap, it simply changes the cap from a lit legend to an underglow around the cap. However if the caps are thin, you'll get some light bleed through.

Some info on the doubleshot plastic molding process can be found in the DT wiki. You can also read up on injection molding on Wikipedia.