Author Topic: Techkeys Cherry Switches Legit+Chinese ones $.36 blues blacks $.30 reds browns  (Read 8568 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Would the red/brown switches work with the plates that allow for normal switch top removal?

Maybe I got ahead of myself.  Would the Chinese switches even let you remove the housing top regardless of whether they were in a plate or not?

I've never had switches like these but looking at the photos you should have no problem opening them up, its just the tab is one piece and is lower on the switch.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Would the red/brown switches work with the plates that allow for normal switch top removal?

Maybe I got ahead of myself.  Would the Chinese switches even let you remove the housing top regardless of whether they were in a plate or not?

This photo is the one from the Techkeys.us website:

Now, if you can open the switch from the top by prying the large clip piece from the opening at the center (I don't know if you can or not), then you should be able to open them without desoldering, ONLY if your plate's switch cutouts look like the cutout on the left (ignore the red lines), and NOT the cutout on the right.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline geniekid

Thanks for the responses Ray and JD.  Maybe I'll get a handful of these switches once I have some plates to get conclusive answers.  I would definitely prefer Cherry MX switches (especially when we're talking about a 6 cent difference per switch), but it wouldn't hurt to know what other options are out there in case supply/demand goes bonkers.

Offline kaz

Should the stems be compatible with genuine MX cases?
Cherry G80-11800 (Workhorse) | Cherry G80-11900 | \'93 IBM Model M | Apple M0116

Offline dante

I love how people automatically assume that since these are knock offs that they are automatically inferior to the "real thing."  If the "real thing" means random non-clicky Blues/Greens, Grindy Clears, and scratchy Linears - maybe the competition can teach Cherry a thing or two.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee

Offline jabar

At least techkeys website doesn't say cherry switches like the thread title, it just says keyboard switches.
shill spotted
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/photo/8246956

Now THOSE are clones. Someone made a mold from MX stems and produced a bunch in different colors. I didn't read the text, but I assume that's about what it said?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
They're a slightly different tactile bump.  It's supposed to be between a Brown and a Clear.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
At least techkeys website doesn't say cherry switches like the thread title, it just says keyboard switches.
shill spotted

Not sure what you meant with your comment, to be very clear, I will not be buying them regardless of what people want to call them.

Cheap Chinese switches with a no-named maker is exactly what they are, if people want that then that is up to them to decide.

I'm perfectly happy paying ~$0.50 switch to mechanicalkeyboards.com :thumb: OR buying cheap boards off ebay and tearing them apart  ;D

Offline Grr8

• Quack!
Daily Driver: Poker II Backlit (Ducky Mini-fied) + Amazon o-rings. Future daily driver IBM AT Model F (restoring now). For fun: IBM SSK 1397681 (NIB), IBM SSK 1391472, IBM Industrial 101 Square label 1388032, IBM Industrial 101 Black label 1394946, IBM 1391401 (bolt-modding now), IBM 1370477, IBM 42H1292 (USA), IBM 52G9700 IBM, and more....
More
Ducky Shine w/Blues + WASD o-rings, Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/Browns + ebay o-rings, Rosewill RK-9100 w/Blues, Apple Wireless (slim), Apple Wireless White A1016, Apple Extended II ADB. Next? HHKB2Pro?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
Not sure what you meant with your comment, to be very clear, I will not be buying them regardless of what people want to call them.

Cheap Chinese switches with a no-named maker is exactly what they are, if people want that then that is up to them to decide.

I'm perfectly happy paying ~$0.50 switch to mechanicalkeyboards.com :thumb: OR buying cheap boards off ebay and tearing them apart  ;D
From what it looked like to me, the blues and blacks *were* Cherry switches, and just the reds and browns were no-name "MX-compatible" (and listed as such). So if you want less expensive blues or blacks, this seems like a reasonable place to get them. I don't know the market for MX-compatible switches well enough to know if that's a good price.

However, it is unfair to declare the MX-compatible switches "fake", "knockoff", or anything else indicating that they are fraudulent in any way. They are not labeled as Cherry switches nor does Cherry have an active patent on that mechanism. The design is in the public domain and anyone is free to make them. If you have used these particular MX-compatible switches before and know them to be of bad (or good, though I admit that's less likely) quality, that's fine, but that still doesn't make them fraudulent.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
shill spotted

However, it is unfair to declare the MX-compatible switches "fake", "knockoff", or anything else indicating that they are fraudulent in any way. They are not labeled as Cherry switches nor does Cherry have an active patent on that mechanism. The design is in the public domain and anyone is free to make them. If you have used these particular MX-compatible switches before and know them to be of bad (or good, though I admit that's less likely) quality, that's fine, but that still doesn't make them fraudulent.

No clue how that has anything to do with my reply, and yes I said in a previous post they were not called cherry switches. The browns and reds are cheap ($0.30) and techkeys website says they are chinese...so I'm just relaying info.

I was simply replying to the person calling me a shill, and the comment that guy quoted was me saying the title of this thread should probably not say cherry, especially since the rule about saying mx-compatible was passed.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
No clue how that has anything to do with my reply, and yes I said in a previous post they were not called cherry switches. The browns and reds are cheap ($0.30) and techkeys website says they are chinese...so I'm just relaying info.

I was simply replying to the person calling me a shill, and the comment that guy quoted was me saying the title of this thread should probably not say cherry, especially since the rule about saying mx-compatible was passed.
It doesn't, sorry. Just the first bit (with regard to value/pricing) related back to your comment, since the TechKeys Cherry switches were still markedly less expensive than their mechanicalkeyboards counterparts. The bit you quoted was just a general comment pointing out to the other folks how railing against the non-Cherry switches as being "fakes" was rather silly.