Author Topic: Re: GeekHack Official: "MX-Compatible" Key Switches  (Read 23705 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: Re: GeekHack Official: "MX-Compatible" Key Switches
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 18:32:32 »
It seems like the ALPS people have figured this whole problem out already.

They have that full gamut to go with-- from "Real original ALPS" to pin-compatible/cap-compatible/different mechanism like APC and Matias, to cap-only compatibles like Monterreys, to rubberdomes with similar sliders.

I suspect it will end up breaking down similarly-- when it's relevant, it's a Simplifed Type 94 Fuuka white switch; when you want to order new caps, it's an ALPS.

Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 20:11:15 »
Why not Cherry or MX switch knockoffs or MX style switch?  A knockoff is an imitation or copy of something, so calling them MX switch knockoffs covers the whole scope from the exact clones to the ones that are different, but MX compatible.  MX style switches also covers the whole range of switches since it's saying they can be exact replicas or similar style and compatible switches.

I bring this up because I've found an Alps-style knockoff switch on Taobao recently that, following the proposed MX compatible terminology would fit under that term and Alps compatible since the base appears to have the same exact bottom layout as an MX switch, complete with PCB stabilizers, but has an Alps slider (switch in question).  So technically, it's both MX and Alps compatible.

Does anyone actually make these 'clones' other than kailh?

I'm assuming so, judging by the fact that the "clones" featured on Techkeys don't have any branding on them whatsoever, and Kailhs usually have either their branding or their logo on their switches.

I've also found knockoffs with the Cherry logo on them, so take that as you will.  I think some others may be making them aside from Kailh/Kaihu since I've seen some other body styles in my Taobao searches.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: Re: Re: GeekHack Official: "MX-Compatible" Key Switches
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 00:37:12 »
I bring this up because I've found an Alps-style knockoff switch on Taobao recently that, following the proposed MX compatible terminology would fit under that term and Alps compatible since the base appears to have the same exact bottom layout as an MX switch, complete with PCB stabilizers, but has an Alps slider (switch in question).  So technically, it's both MX and Alps compatible.

Now that is just nuts. If anything, you'd think they would want to make an Alps mount switch with an MX stem, not the other way around. Or maybe fully MX compatible mount and stem with Alps style internals and feel. It's a wild and woolly mechanical switch world out there.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 00:32:41 »
So we arbitrarily agreed that MX compatible is the term that we'll be using?  I still disagree with it, but I guess I have no choice.

Offline BlueBär

Re: GeekHack Official: "MX-Compatible" Key Switches
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 06:00:56 »
Well...

You're free to call it whatever you like.

And that is what I'm going to do.