Author Topic: My Topre Realforce 87U Arrived Today  (Read 12924 times)

Offline BigWopHH

• http://www.hothardware.com
My Topre Realforce 87U Arrived Today
« on: Mon, 06 April 2009, 16:08:48 »
Thanks to Lam's super-fast service / contact, my Topre Realforce 87U arrived today.

My initial impressions are excellent.  This is the first board with capacitive switches that I have tried, but so far I am liking them very much. The keyfeel on the baord is excellent. There is a somewhat rough texture on the keycaps that looks to be durable.

The switches feel most like Cherry Browns, but I need to use it a little longer to really form an opinion.  I can say the board is MUCH quieter than I expected.  Definitely quiter than my Filco board with Cherry Browns.  There's an MP3 posted in the Keyboard clips section if you'd like to hear it.

Even though I'm connected via USB it seems like this board has pseudo NKRO.  I know it should only register 6 simultaneous key presses on USB, but if I open notepad and mash keys with every finger, 10 letters will show up. In the N-Key Rollover tested posted here in the forum, it only regesters 1 key, but you see all ten flash on screen--it seems only the last key registers in that test for some reason.

Any questions, feel free to ask.  Here are some pictures of the box, board, and included accessories...

• Topre Realforce 103UB
  • Topre Realforce 87U
  • ABS M1
  • Solidtek ASK-6600U
  • Dell AT101W
  • Das III Pro
  • Scorpious M10
  • Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2 (Blues)
  • Cherry G80-3000LXCEU-2 (Browns)
  • Unicomp Customizer 104
  • Steelseries 7G
  • Filco Majestouch FKBN104M/EB < Has Become My Daily Driver. Really Diggin\' It.
[/SIZE]

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 April 2009, 16:37:06 »
Nice I'm getting impatient for mine to get here. It should be shipping today or tomorrow but man I want it now!
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 April 2009, 16:43:44 »
How do you get that white background on your pics?  Do you have a light table, or do you 'Shop them?

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 April 2009, 17:05:48 »
Man, there is just a bevy of Realforces going on abouts here right now.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline lam47

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 April 2009, 17:09:45 »
Looking great!
The service form the fellow we all know by now is second to none.
Im so glad I found him selling the HHKB and asked (begged) for some purple keys and a realforce.
I hope it is helping his business as I would like to see him selling keyboards for a good while to come.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline BigWopHH

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 April 2009, 17:22:54 »
Quote from: itlnstln;27333
How do you get that white background on your pics?  Do you have a light table, or do you 'Shop them?

I use one of these:
http://www.sharpics.com/dflector-photo-studio-p-33.html?cPath=1

The pics I took here look horriblel it usually produces better results.  I was just in a rush to get some pics snapped and get something posted.
  • Topre Realforce 103UB
  • Topre Realforce 87U
  • ABS M1
  • Solidtek ASK-6600U
  • Dell AT101W
  • Das III Pro
  • Scorpious M10
  • Unicomp Customizer 104
  • Steelseries 7G
  • Filco Majestouch FKBN104M/EB < Has Become My Daily Driver. Really Diggin\' It.
[/SIZE]

Offline lam47

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 April 2009, 18:16:39 »
My one of those is 2 a1 sheets of card :)
I used to be heavily into photography before it all went digital.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 April 2009, 18:28:50 »
I use my naked belly :eek:

Offline lam47

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 April 2009, 03:17:49 »
Thanks Ripster.
I will be sure to get some good photos of mine once it arrives.
I find natural sunlight shows up the charcoal colour best.

Offline BigWopHH

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 April 2009, 14:35:08 »
To be honest, I'm not really feeling a different with the weighting scheme--probably because I type "wrong" and haven't paid enough attention though.

I don't have any more typos that usual though and am liking the sound.  The more I use it though, I'm thinking it feels slightly heavier than the browns...weird.
  • Topre Realforce 103UB
  • Topre Realforce 87U
  • ABS M1
  • Solidtek ASK-6600U
  • Dell AT101W
  • Das III Pro
  • Scorpious M10
  • Unicomp Customizer 104
  • Steelseries 7G
[/SIZE]

Offline lam47

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 13:39:15 »
Could someone point me in the direction of a good rubber dome keyboard that feels like a Topre. I have yet to find one.
I would be interested though if there is a particular board people are likening the Topre to.

I know a lot of people would like to give one a go before splashing out the cash so it could help them decide if there is a rubber dome board that is close.

Offline BigWopHH

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 14:15:50 »
There is no way, in a side-by-side comparison, anyone could equate the Topre to a lesser membrane board IMO.  The Realforce is just too solid (that's about the best way to put it--ripster is right), responsive, consistant, and functional...

Everything about it so far is great--the key feel is top notch to me (I like the textured finish and think it's going to be durable, unlike the Filco, ABS, and DAS that started to show some shine after a couple of days). The sound is good, although I definitely like a little more chatter.  And the NKRO is the best I've tested with a keyboard connected to a USB port; every key combination just works.  The thing even looks cool.

With all that said, unfortunately, I don't think I can make the 87u my daily driver.  After two days of benchmarking and editing images in PS, I've realized how much I use a numeric keypad. Sigh.  If Topre comes out with a 104-key version though, I'm going to be all over it.
  • Topre Realforce 103UB
  • Topre Realforce 87U
  • ABS M1
  • Solidtek ASK-6600U
  • Dell AT101W
  • Das III Pro
  • Scorpious M10
  • Unicomp Customizer 104
  • Steelseries 7G
[/SIZE]

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 14:17:59 »
Why not get an auxiliary number pad?

Offline BigWopHH

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 16:03:57 »
Yes, PS is Photoshop, sorry.  For some articles, I take literally dozens of photos, and some of the photos need to be cropped, etc. To keep the correct aspect, I usually tweak the image size, then alter the canvas size for the correct height or width...all of that requires entering pixel dimensions. Lots of numbers.
  • Topre Realforce 103UB
  • Topre Realforce 87U
  • ABS M1
  • Solidtek ASK-6600U
  • Dell AT101W
  • Das III Pro
  • Scorpious M10
  • Unicomp Customizer 104
  • Steelseries 7G
[/SIZE]

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 16:14:41 »
I use the numpad fairly often as well, but I think I could do very well with an external one. However, the only tenkeyless keyboard I am interested in (for typing) is the M mini, and I'm not in a hurry to get one of those (mainly for monetary reasons since they go for so much).
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 10:18:33 »
I'm with you there, ripster.  I would prefer a keyboard with the arrow keys and home/page keys on the right but numpad on the left.  I think that if/when DSI makes the Modular Mac keyboard for PC, it may be resolve that issue for me.  I just hope it has white alps (probably not, though).

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 12:02:49 »
the long keys on the numpad should be swapped to the other side if it were put on the left, the reason they're big is because the pinky is the weakest finger and shortest, so having them under the index on the left side is stupid.  That being said I think the arrow/home keys would be better on the left and numpad still on the right, then you can navigate and input numbers at the same time.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 13:27:33 »
My pinky isn't that weak.  Plus, I am actually using a Mac keyboard right now that has mostly small keys on the numpad (just the 0 and enter key are two-keys length).  I think I could do fine with it the same way as it is now.  That may lead to less confusion.  If they did mirror-reverse it, though, I could learn that as well.

I do like the idea of being able to use the arrow keys with one hand and the numpad with the other.  I never thought of that before!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 15:01:08 »
Quote from: BigWopHH;84283
With all that said, unfortunately, I don't think I can make the 87u my daily driver.  After two days of benchmarking and editing images in PS, I've realized how much I use a numeric keypad. Sigh.  If Topre comes out with a 104-key version though, I'm going to be all over it.

They have a 101 key version.

Offline ssb

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 17:09:37 »
Quote from: ch_123;90179
They have a 101 key version.

This is quite old. The new version with win keys is Realforce 103.

Please excuse my poor English.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 10:17:43 »
Yea that board keeps tempting me. I like to have full size keyboard around for the few times I really need a numeric keypad. But it is going to have to wait a while I need a HHKB Pro first :)
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 18:39:33 »
I love the "Engrish" on the box in the original post -

Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber.

Profound. Truly profound.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2009, 18:47:47 by ch_123 »

Offline wheel83

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 21:19:55 »
japanese translations are always hilarious.  its even better than a mispelling, because its just so out out there.  in their mind tho, i bet they are extremely excited about the realforce lol
I <3 BS

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 00:25:11 »
The writing is chinese, but I understand that train groping is a real and present danger in Japan, so much so that some trains have designated women only cars. Oh Japan, you're so crazy.

Offline BigWopHH

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 09:27:06 »
If anyone has a line on a black Realforce 103 like the one in the pic, shoot me a note.  Thanks.
  • Topre Realforce 103UB
  • Topre Realforce 87U
  • ABS M1
  • Solidtek ASK-6600U
  • Dell AT101W
  • Das III Pro
  • Scorpious M10
  • Unicomp Customizer 104
  • Steelseries 7G
[/SIZE]

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 09:33:22 »
Wouldn't it be nice if that Topre label was black?  I think i've seen some Topre boards that do have black badges on them; I just think the white looks a bit out of place.  Wouldn't stop me from buying one though.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 09:48:16 »
Quote from: ripster;90425
We don't need no stinkin badges!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lj056ao6GE

- Ripster

This is my prefered version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6TBrfCW54

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 09:58:47 »
Blazing Saddles is great.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 10:52:26 »
Yea I've noticed that as well. I would also imagine that the market for a $300 keyboard is pretty limited. Just look at how many people have issues with spending $100 on a Filco when they first show up here. But after they have been here for a while they will spring for a Filco but getting people to spring for a RealForce or a HHKB pro for that matter is a lot harder.

It took me over a year of thinking about it before I would spend what RealForce wants for a board. But once I got that first one I'm a lot more willing to spend what they want for them to get more of them.
Keyboards

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 10:55:35 »
I have been here for quite awhile, and I still will not consider buying a Topre without trying one first.  Even then, I better need to take a shower after trying it before I spend that much on a keyboard.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 12:24:43 »
I've only been here for a couple months and I've been considering buying an HHKB. All I need is a vendor that doesn't take forever to ship it or anything (not implying anything...just wishing Elitekeyboards would stock them soon lol)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 14:19:38 »
:rofl:
ripster, YMMD. (I always wonder where people find this kind of stuff.)
Seems like a good time to try this smiley:
:boom:
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline bigpook

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 14:34:12 »
Quote from: rdjack21;90442
Yea I've noticed that as well. I would also imagine that the market for a $300 keyboard is pretty limited. Just look at how many people have issues with spending $100 on a Filco when they first show up here. But after they have been here for a while they will spring for a Filco but getting people to spring for a RealForce or a HHKB pro for that matter is a lot harder.

It took me over a year of thinking about it before I would spend what RealForce wants for a board. But once I got that first one I'm a lot more willing to spend what they want for them to get more of them.

Thats pretty close to the truth for me. I was lucky and got a HHKB from a fellow geekhacker at a really good price. I was real hesitant to pay the full freight, always sitting on the fence.
Now that I have one, I can easily say it is worth the price.So much so that  I am planning on getting a white one before Xmas.

If you can part with the money and are comfortable with the key layout then the HHKB should be  on your short list.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 14:50:51 »
Quote from: ripster;90467
I like exploding animals. The exploding whale happened on the Oregon coast. This is hilarious - watch what happens to the parking lot cars. The last time one washed up on one of our beaches they just buried it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_t44siFyb4

- Ripster

You have to think about who came up with that bright idea.  I mean, how could this have gone any different?  I had a great laugh, though.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 14:39:07 »
nice keyboard! It will be a while until I get my hands on these because they're just too expensive! How much did you get this for btw?
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 18:00:59 »
I think most people who have them paid around $300 for them.

Offline ozar

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 18:07:05 »
Quote from: ch_123;90676
I think most people who have them paid around $300 for them.
If you are referring to the Topre 87U, I think they run between $300 and $350 shipped to the USA, depending on the version and any extra accessories.  Mine was $348 for the all 55g English/Korean version.

Edit:  correction... $354

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 20:06:48 »
Quote from: ozar;90679
If you are referring to the Topre 87U, I think they run between $300 and $350 shipped to the USA, depending on the version and any extra accessories.  Mine was $348 for the all 55g English/Korean version.

Edit:  correction... $354

so where can you buy this thing? I'm looking forward to either getting this or the hhkb pro 2
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline ozar

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 20:11:34 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;90702
so where can you buy this thing? I'm looking forward to either getting this or the hhkb pro 2
stlensbar sells both or either on eBay.

http://myworld.ebay.com/stlensbar/

Offline ozar

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 20:13:42 »
I personally like the HHKB Pro 2 a little better than the 87U because of the key layout and smaller footprint, but you can't go wrong with either board.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 20:35:39 »
thanks guys =]
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline ozar

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 20:42:22 »
Both, my HHKB Pro 2 and the Realforce 87U came from stlensbar on eBay and no problems.

The 87U showed up about 7 or 8 days after ordering (Korea to USA).  The HHKB Pro 2 showed up 4 days after ordering (Japan to USA).

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 14 May 2009, 00:54:47 »
Quote from: ozar;90717
Both, my HHKB Pro 2 and the Realforce 87U came from stlensbar on eBay and no problems.

The 87U showed up about 7 or 8 days after ordering (Korea to USA).  The HHKB Pro 2 showed up 4 days after ordering (Japan to USA).

thanks for the info! I'll go check out that seller on ebay.
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 14 May 2009, 07:54:14 »
I was wondering. How is Topre pronounced?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 14 May 2009, 08:01:46 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;90791

I think it is TOE-pur.

Offline wheel83

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 14 May 2009, 08:45:10 »
hot shots
I <3 BS

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 14 May 2009, 09:40:27 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;90791

My guess would be something along the lines of "toh-pre", but given they're a Japanese company, it's hard to tell what the correct one would be.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 14 May 2009, 15:32:18 »
My 87U also arrived today, but im having some fears changing the keys, whats the best way?

regards,
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 14 May 2009, 15:35:06 »
TOE-pur? Awww man that sounds too wimpy.

Thanks for the correction. I wrongly thought it was Topper. Meh, I'll continue to pronounce it as Topper. How many people will actually be able to correct me, :lol: ?

Offline cchan

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 14 May 2009, 15:41:22 »
I've always read it as "TOE-pree".
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above