Author Topic: should i complete my collection with cherry blues?  (Read 11825 times)

Offline jacobolus

Re: should i complete my collection with cherry blues?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:48:04 »
Here are some measurements of various clicky switches made last week using HaaTa’s force gauge. Note, these are just measuring a single switch from a single keyboard, so might not be ideally representative. x-axis is micrometers, y-axis is grams-force.

Cherry MX blue:

IBM Model F:

Amber Omron B3G-S:

Cyan Omron B3G-S

Blue SMK Alps-mount:

Marquardt butterfly switch:
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:57:49 by jacobolus »

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:50:14 »
Awesome! Totally explains why Model F and Alps/SMK blues are my favorites.

But just what are the axes measuring?
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:51:24 »
But just what are the axes measuring?
x-axis is micrometers, y-axis is grams-force.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:55:28 »
I've clearly tried four, read a little harder.

No, that's two different types. Greens and blues have a spring strength difference, and F and M are still both buckling springs. i.e. You've tried MX clicky and BS. That's two types. Preemptive explanation: If you consider greens and blues as fundamentally different, then the number of varieties of cherry mx switches approaches infinity; and that's before any other manufacturers are considered.

But thanks to this thread I finaly know why I don't find Mx Blues really awesome (and Cherry's switches in general, even though I kinda like clears) :
- too linears in the force you have to give, just a little click "in the middle" and that's all (kind of exagerated but still kinda true)
- the way the key is mounted on the switch gives a little lousy feeling while on other switches the keys are better seated on the switches

Then again I like blues, just not as much as some other switches

Yeah, I probably would have used blues more, but I got those and SI at roughly the same time. I eventually just decided that I liked those more, it's not that I necessarily dislike blues. I even used it for another day or two before I sold mine so I could be sure I was willing to. If it was between blues and back to RD's I'd obviously choose blues, but that's a bit extreme.

You should see what matias says about MX, though.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Red0y0s

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 18:38:11 »
Dude, the click is where it's at!!!

Got a ducky shine 3 (Blue) for home and much to the disappointment of my co-workers, got a Filco Majestouch 2 (Blue) for work.

I do recommend using o-rings though! They are a must in my opinion.

Offline Kliee

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 18:45:41 »
You should see what matias says about MX, though.
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1wknkm/i_am_edgar_matias_designer_of_matias_keyboards/cf30dlk

I kind of agree with what he says, makes me want to try Matias keyboards/Alps even more !
That said, saying the Cherry switches feel like cheap rubber domes, he's dramaticaly exagerating... or trolling.

Simple solution, try typing at about an average of 120 wpm or so when doing everyday tasks on heavier switches. See how it feels to be me.

Hmmm, I confess I don't type that fast. With BS I reach 60/65 WPM with 100% accuracy, with Topre and Cherry (even clears), 55 with 100% accuracy. So yeah, maybe with that speed it would get tiring (and awfully loud  ;D).
Then again, a lot of typists from the times of the model M, or even before the computer era with typewriters, used heavy switches for 8 hours of furious typing everyday. So I still tend to think it's a habit to take.
I'm absolutely not saying that BS is the way to go and that light switches are wrong. As usual, it's a matter of feeling.

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 18:47:14 by Kliee »
Topre Realforce 104UB | IBM model M 1391401 (1987 & 1991), 52G9658 (1993), 51G8572 (1994) | Unicomp Customizer 105 (fr) | Unicomp Customizer 101 | Cherry G80-3000 MX Clear | Noppoo Choc Mini Mx Blue | Steelseries Steelkeys 6G V1 Mx Black

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 19:01:53 »
I do recommend using o-rings though! They are a must in my opinion.

O-rings are best for all other Cherries, but for blue I like soft landing pads.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.