Author Topic: Shipping and Handling Rate Guidelines  (Read 47420 times)

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
Shipping and Handling Rate Guidelines
« on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 18:34:23 »
Updated for 2016 Rates. If you guys ever need me to update them again feel free to send me a PM and I'll do my best. I'm still around but so busy with work I mostly just lurk.

<3 <3 <3 Ragnorock

US Options:
Size                        
Price (USD)            
Capacity

Domestic First-Class Bubble Mailer$ 3.50Fits up to 50 keys but works much better with fewer than 30. This hasn't happened more than once out of hundreds of orders but sellers are not responsible for keys damaged in shipping. (Unless otherwise stated) However, sellers do their best to facilitate reasonable replacements and you shouldn't get screwed.

Small Priority Flat Rate Box$ 7.50Standard USPS Small flat rate box. Fits up to 300 1x keys or about 3 base TKL sets.

Medium Priority Flat Rate Box$14.00More than 3 base sets, fits about 2000 1x keys.

Large Priority Flat Rate Box$18.00Largest box, suitable for the biggest orders. International weight limit of 20 pounds applies but even packed full boxes weren't a problem.
(comes with insurance)

Canada Options:
Size                        
Price (USD)            
Capacity

Bubble Mailer*$ 4.00Fits up to 50 keys but works much better with fewer than 30. This hasn't happened more than once out of hundreds of orders but sellers are not responsible for keys damaged in shipping. (Unless otherwise stated) However, sellers do their best to facilitate reasonable replacements and you shouldn't get screwed.

Small Flat Rate Box$25.00Standard USPS Small flat rate box. Fits up to 300 1x keys or about 3 base TKL sets.

Medium Flat Rate Box$48.00More than 3 base sets, fits about 2000 1x keys.
(comes with insurance)

Large Flat Rate Box$60.00Largest box, suitable for the biggest orders. International weight limit of 20 pounds applies but even packed full boxes weren't a problem.
(comes with insurance)

International Options:
Size                        
Price (USD)            
Capacity

Bubble Mailer*$ 5.50Fits up to 50 keys but works much better with fewer than 30. This hasn't happened more than once out of hundreds of orders but sellers are not responsible for keys damaged in shipping. (Unless otherwise stated) However, sellers do their best to facilitate reasonable replacements and you shouldn't get screwed.

Small Flat Rate Box$35.00Standard USPS Small flat rate box. Fits up to 300 1x keys or about 3 base TKL sets.

Medium Flat Rate Box$67.50More than 3 base sets, fits about 2000 1x keys.
(comes with $500 insurance, below actual cost. Additional insurance will be extra)

Large Flat Rate Box$90.00Largest box, suitable for the biggest orders. International weight limit of 20 pounds applies but even packed full boxes weren't a problem.
(comes with $1000 insurance, below cost. Additional insurance will be extra)

*Bubble mailers should be within these dimensions to qualify for "large envelope" international rates, which are much cheaper.
Dimension   Minimum   Maximum
Length   11-1/2 inches   15 inches
Height   6-1/8 inches   12 inches
Thickness   1/4 inch   3/4 inch

Notes:
All packages ship via USPS, which is what these rates are based off of. Multiple boxes and potentially insurance may be required for large orders. Sellers usually work with those buyers to ensure fair shipping. Most sellers will determine the appropriate shipping based on your order. All domestic orders should come with delivery confirmation, international orders can't. You may get lucky and have it scanned but it is not guaranteed. Larger international orders will have insurance either way, (typical guideline is orders over $500, though buyers can elect to purchase insurance at cost for any order) so even if the order is lost, you get your money back.

Paypal fees:
Most sellers exclusively use Paypal for payment processing. Invoices factor in Paypal's 2.9% + $0.30 (3.9% + $0.30 international) fee. This can be avoided by gifting but that removes the buyer's protections. As any seller who has a decent reputation will attest, they aren't out to steal your money, so they usually don't have a problem with this, but obviously it is much easier for both parties if the vast majority just pay their invoices because it is much easier to keep track of. If you really need to gift it, send the seller a PM upon receiving your invoice. Do note that the easiest way to factor in the 30 cents is to include it in the shipping cost. That's why the shipping always appears 30 cents higher in the invoice.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 June 2016, 23:18:52 by Ragnorock »

Offline Puddsy

• Foreman of the salt mine
  • * Exalted Elder
  • i paid a lewd art man money to draw this avatar
Re: Shipping and Handling Rate Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 18:47:11 »
Can you specify currency?

Or is it all in USD?
QFR (62g blacks) | MJ2 TKL | Realforce 87U | G81-3000 "Schumiboard" | Varmilo Bulgogiboard (Keycon 104) | KBD75 (MX silent blacks) | MIRA (soon!)

ahh, thanks puddsy. can always count on your snarky informitism

Add me on Steam | Add me on Battle.net: Puddsy#1914 | /u/Puddsy

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 18:56:01 »
Can you specify currency?

Or is it all in USD?

"All packages ship via USPS, which is what these rates are based off of."

So I'm guessing USD since prices are based off shipping from the states

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 19:15:17 »
Yes, it's all for shipping from the United States.

Offline jdcarpe

• Literally geekhack
  • * Curator
  • God mode active
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 20:10:29 »
Not sure how you are sending an 11x6 bubble mailer international for $4.00. Cheapest price for first class int'l (1-2 oz) is $6.16 for me.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 20:13:00 »
Not sure how you are sending an 11x6 bubble mailer international for $4.00. Cheapest price for first class int'l (1-2 oz) is $6.16 for me.

Same with me.  And it gets more expensive with each ounce.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:24:44 by nubbinator »

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:14:13 »
Okay so thanks to JesterJunk, the OP has been updated with better formatting thanks to some table organization. Thanks for taking the time to do that!

Yes its USD, I figured that since most of GH is US based, the $ sign was good enough to signify that, but that's a dumb assumption.

And as for the international shipping, its simple. You send it as a large envelope and not a package. In over 1000 shipments internationally, I've never had one returned or not delivered because I classified it wrong, so I'd say its correct. That drives the cost WAY down:

(This was shipping to South Korea)

≤1oz is even cheaper obviously, but international shipments that are that small are very rare.

Obviously the prices in the OP aren't exact quotes to give some room to cover the costs of the bubble mailers themselves, tape, labels etc.

Hope that helps guys!
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:16:11 by Ragnorock »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:22:47 »
And as for the international shipping, its simple. You send it as a large envelope and not a package. In over 1000 shipments internationally, I've never had one returned or not delivered because I classified it wrong, so I'd say its correct. That drives the cost WAY down:

Show Image

Show Image

Deliberate misclassification is fraud.  USPS has gone after people for less.

I'll continue classifying mine as a package.

Large Envelope definition:

First-Class Mail® International Large Envelope**More info about First-Class Mail® International Large Envelope**
Value of contents can not exceed $400.00
Max. length 15", height 12" or thickness 3/4"

Dimension   Minimum*   Maximum
Length   11-1/2 inches   15 inches
Height   6-1/8 inches   12 inches
Thickness   1/4 inch   3/4 inch

Is it more expensive?  Yes, but it's not fraudulent.  And if we want sellers and group buy runners to be honest, shouldn't we be honest when we send stuff?

Offline Belfong

• Formerly known as Ballfong
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:26:49 »
Sometimes when Bro Caps sent packages to me via First Class International, it is around $12. I am wondering if it is standard USPS rate or is there a vendor-only rate that, perhaps he subscribed to? Just curious how it is  with some.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:29:43 »
Sometimes when Bro Caps sent packages to me via First Class International, it is around $12. I am wondering if it is standard USPS rate or is there a vendor-only rate that, perhaps he subscribed to? Just curious how it is  with some.

First Class international varies based on weight, size, and other factors like additional insurance. Most packages I send cost around $6.50-9 in shipping and an additional $1-2 in packaging materials.  You can use the USPS website to guesstimate shipping costs based on weight and package size.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:46:13 »

Show Image

Show Image

Deliberate misclassification is fraud.  USPS has gone after people for less.

I'll continue classifying mine as a package.

Large Envelope definition:

First-Class Mail� International Large Envelope**More info about First-Class Mail� International Large Envelope**
Value of contents can not exceed $400.00
Max. length 15", height 12" or thickness 3/4"

Dimension   Minimum*   Maximum
Length   11-1/2 inches   15 inches
Height   6-1/8 inches   12 inches
Thickness   1/4 inch   3/4 inch

Is it more expensive?  Yes, but it's not fraudulent.  And if we want sellers and group buy runners to be honest, shouldn't we be honest when we send stuff?

I'm not misclassifying anything. My envelopes meet those requirements. They're about 11" by 6" and I always fill them less than 3/4" thick. That's a good part of why there's a cap limit on them, otherwise they get way too thick and you can't use them. Literally I went down to my post office, handed him one of these loaded envelopes for him to check and he said they were just fine. I'm not defrauding the USPS.

Perhaps you guys are using the wrong envelopes? I can't find the link to the ones I bought last, but here's some that easily fit the requirements:
http://www.amazon.com/7-25x12-BUBBLE-MAILERS-PADDED-ENVELOPES/dp/B000GHXWUC/ref=pd_sim_op_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YJHFMKFTHG8H1X8Z1X5

I guess my point is that while some larger envelopes are more expensive than others, it ends up being cheaper for international buyers because the fit into that rate classification. So even if you pass the higher envelope cost on to them, it still saves them money and you don't lose anything.

Let me say this now. Nobody on GH is bound to follow these guidelines, and every organizer is entitled to their own opinion as to what is correct and what they want to do. I am also not in any way implying that those that are charging more for whatever reason are ripping off their customers. In fact, many organizers use shipping and handling charges as their means of covering their time costs, while charging exactly their cost on the products. I did it the other way around, so these prices are as close to actual costs as possible without individually calculating each one.

Many organizers requested use of these rates in their group buys, so I made a point to have this information preserved and stickied when my subforum got cut. Now all organizers have to do is point to this thread when they're trying to figure out fair shipping terms. This is what I used. It has generally been considered the cheapest and fairest for everyone by most metrics. If this doesn't help you, you don't have to use it.

Edit: You make a good point though, since this info is supposed to be for everyone, including the guidelines is very helpful. I edited the OP to reflect that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 May 2014, 03:29:45 by Ragnorock »

Offline yuiop

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:52:39 »
I recently sent a 1oz bubble mailer to Europe.  It was only about a half inch thick but my PO didn't even give me an option to send it as a large envelope.  Ended up costing ~$6.50 ish w/o tracking.  Tracking was like ~$12 extra which I thought was outrageous.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
  • Hi!
    • Zeal PC
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 02:05:52 »
I believe your pricing for Canada/Int'l Priority flat rates are a bit off.

Medium Priority Flat Rate Box to Canada costs $40.15
Large Priority Flat Rate Box to Canada costs $52.95

Medium Priority Flat Rate Box to South Korea costs $58.65
Large Priority Flat Rate Box to South Korea costs $76.50
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 02:36:14 »
I believe your pricing for Canada/Int'l Priority flat rates are a bit off.

Medium Priority Flat Rate Box to Canada costs $40.15
Large Priority Flat Rate Box to Canada costs $52.95

Medium Priority Flat Rate Box to South Korea costs $58.65
Large Priority Flat Rate Box to South Korea costs $76.50
As it says several times in the OP, that's because they include insurance. Any shipment necessitating a medium or large flat rate box is going to be at a minimum $500 and usually more like $1,500. The insurance is built into those prices because no seller should be confident enough to risk being accountable for that big of a loss.

Offline jdcarpe

• Literally geekhack
  • * Curator
  • God mode active
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 22:38:27 »
I tried to convince the clerks at my post office to let me send a bubble mailer as a large envelope and got shot down. Therefore, I am forced to use the "thick envelope" or package rate. :(

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 02:26:56 »
I tried to convince the clerks at my post office to let me send a bubble mailer as a large envelope and got shot down. Therefore, I am forced to use the "thick envelope" or package rate. :(
I'm guessing you mean for domestic packages? I use that too, that's why the prices aren't much different. Getting to use large envelope for that would be nuts.

International is a bit different though, my post office didn't seem to care as long as it fit the dimensions. They measured it and put it through their mail slot meter thing and it was fine in their eyes.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 07:08:31 »
Is using stamps.com the only way to get the cheapest international rates?

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 21:52:17 »
Probably not the only, but the easiest.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 22:05:57 »
Probably not the only, but the easiest.

Well USPS.com doesn't do it and neither does PayPal, not sure what other options are out there.

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 15:31:37 »
Should this be updated to reflect the (increased) new rates for USPS starting in 2016?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 15:49:06 »
OP hasn't been on since March and hasn't posted since February of last year, so doubt you'll get it updated.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 21:42:40 »
Maybe the thread should be unstickied due to lack of relevance.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 12:44:01 »
Maybe the thread should be unstickied due to lack of relevance.

Seconded...
Daily Driver: BIVOUAC-92 | Clear MX (found while prospecting in Vault 59)
Alternate: Lightrez Blackbird-87 | Green Gats MXC (found while exploring the Grid)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 13:41:00 »
Agreed, if we ever need this again then I'd be happy to help with shipping from the UK.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 23:20:57 »
Hey everyone. I noticed the request and updated the rates. I too am surprised it was still stickied. Let me know if it ever needs updating! I'm still sorta around, I even have a drawer full of a old stock sitting around waiting to sell but I haven't had the time to post up another closeout thread. This community has grown so much I feel like almost a complete outsider again. It's crazy cool to see though.

Cheers,
Dave

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 05:41:46 »
Hey everyone. I noticed the request and updated the rates. I too am surprised it was still stickied. Let me know if it ever needs updating! I'm still sorta around, I even have a drawer full of a old stock sitting around waiting to sell but I haven't had the time to post up another closeout thread. This community has grown so much I feel like almost a complete outsider again. It's crazy cool to see though.

Cheers,
Dave

Whoa!

Voice from the past :)

You'll probably find a whole new market for your old stock now - stuff that people have never seen before!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 06:08:15 »
Who are you again? :P