Author Topic: 60% Alps Keyboard?  (Read 6569 times)

Offline Sniping

60% Alps Keyboard?
« on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:15:40 »
Saw a cool announcement on KBParadise's page.

They're the same guys that did the 2-color LED 60% keyboards.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.891610484197759.1073741837.316701428355337&type=1

Seems like they're only doing the tactile switches for now.

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:18:17 by Sniping »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Re: 60% Alps Keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:17:50 »
Yep this is what I've been waiting for  :thumb:

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:19:24 »
You could say that layout gives you a lot....

(sunglasses)

of options.

Seriously, love the Matias switches, dislike the board choices they come in; hopefully this will sell well enough to justify a full-size with the real noisy switches.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:22:34 »
You could say that layout gives you a lot....

(sunglasses)

of options.

Seriously, love the Matias switches, dislike the board choices they come in; hopefully this will sell well enough to justify a full-size with the real noisy switches.

They are also coming out with a V80 (MX TKL).  I asked them if they were planing on making a V80 MTS, and they said it depends on how well this one sells.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:34:31 »
Interesting....only thing I don't like about alps is there isn't many options compared to MX.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:42:21 »
Glad to see things like this happening. Does anybody know anything about the vendor?

Both types of Matias switches are tactile. These are the quiet ones.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:58:10 »
Glad to see things like this happening. Does anybody know anything about the vendor?

By tactile I mean the quiet switches. Clicky is the predominant feel of the other switch. Thus, clicky and tactile switches is what I refer to them as.

KBParadise is fairly new, their first and main keyboard they're selling is similar to a backlit Pure, except for the 2 colors on the LED's that makes them unique.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 03:16:03 »
I'm glad to see things like this happening too, since I'm not really a fan of MX switches and just use other stuff instead. Now that I have some clicky matias in this dell, I can say that I like them plenty. Even though I generally use old (and usually fairly cheap) keyboards I might have to bite the bullet if they really make a RGB clicky matias gaming keyboard with a layout I like. In all seriousness, that should have happened before cherry RGB, the plagiarists.

By tactile I mean the quiet switches. Clicky is the predominant feel of the other switch. Thus, clicky and tactile switches is what I refer to them as.

KBParadise is fairly new, their first and main keyboard they're selling is similar to a backlit Pure, except for the 2 colors on the LED's that makes them unique.

Yeah, but just saying tactile makes it sound like alps black, which it isn't.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline sdiearly

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 03:42:55 »
KBP is a new brand from Taiwan.
OEM would be Costar.
The host has also registered GH.
My favorite 60%:  TEX-Beetle
                 80%:  KBtalKing Race
                100%: Cherry G80-3494, Zowie Celeritas

Offline Sniping

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 09:18:04 »

Yeah, but just saying tactile makes it sound like alps black, which it isn't.

but then there's that picture right below where i said that :-X

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 12:46:49 »
Interesting.  Will this thing be available for purchase?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline ebacho

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 13:04:39 »
Interesting....only thing I don't like about alps is there isn't many options compared to MX.

If you're into vintage alps there are orders of magnitudes more options than MX.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 14:50:12 »

If you're into vintage alps there are orders of magnitudes more options than MX.

Although finding a clean, working board can be hit or miss.  Vintage Alps seems to have more problems than vintage Cherry, in my experience.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:53:36 »

Not as far as keycaps or other form factors go, such as TKL.

but then there's that picture right below where i said that :-X

That doesn't mean anything. You can swap the click/tactile leaves from clicky matias to dampened matias in order to get dampened clicky. Once that's done putting back together the rest is an obvious next step, and now you've got a set of black alps matias.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Sniping

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 01:58:58 »
And they've hired an army of slaves to spend hours on each board to do that for you, and also have a source for leaves@pennies a piece.

That's just a bit irrational...if you were actually curious as to what switches they were using maybe you would've actually looked at the album on facebook instead of nitpicking at my terminology.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 16:00:55 »
Matias has been promising their own Alps 60% to be coming soon. Will be nice to see more 60% boards on the market.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 17:56:38 »
And they've hired an army of slaves to spend hours on each board to do that for you, and also have a source for leaves@pennies a piece.

That's just a bit irrational...if you were actually curious as to what switches they were using maybe you would've actually looked at the album on facebook instead of nitpicking at my terminology.

I wasn't the only one, I was merely pointing out what just that word made it sound like.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 18:09:06 »
I think the point is, although Sniping is correct that the quiet switches have tactility, Matias themselves reserves the word "tactile" to describe their clicky switches. So you've gotta be explicit which Matias switch you're talking about. It's really Matias's fault, if anyone's. I am sure no one meant harm or foul  :thumb:
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 00:32:04 »
Matias has been promising their own Alps 60% to be coming soon. Will be nice to see more 60% boards on the market.

I don't like the case design from Matias at all. They already have a keyboard that is very close to 60%, but I think their cases look ugly. I prefer the minimalistic Poker style case that KBP is going for.

Hopefully they'll come up with something that looks nice, but as for now this upcoming keyboard looks more appealing to my eyes.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 00:38:14 »

It will be interesting to see what case design and layout they use.

I agree with Sniping that I will more than likely like the case on the V60 MTS better.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 01:18:58 »

I don't like the case design from Matias at all. They already have a keyboard that is very close to 60%, but I think their cases look ugly. I prefer the minimalistic Poker style case that KBP is going for.

Hopefully they'll come up with something that looks nice, but as for now this upcoming keyboard looks more appealing to my eyes.

The one they have is more of a 75%, and IIRC he's already said to others who dislike the case shape that the 60% will be more like all the others. The shape is for the onboard USB hubs, and the 60% is simply not going to have one.

I don't really get the obsession with having hubs there.

I think the point is, although Sniping is correct that the quiet switches have tactility, Matias themselves reserves the word "tactile" to describe their clicky switches. So you've gotta be explicit which Matias switch you're talking about. It's really Matias's fault, if anyone's. I am sure no one meant harm or foul  :thumb:

Totally true. Given how mix-and-match alps are in general, I think that's true of all of them. I know I've messed with internals, and I've seen at least one case of someone who bought something through ebay and got something non-standard and that had no indications of any kind in the listing.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 01:39:08 »
I'm all for diversity! If this boatd will be in 100$ range, I'll add it to my collection... probably :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 09:41:34 »
If it's programmable, I'm in.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 11:15:13 »
If it's programmable, I'm in.

Programmable would be great!

Offline mougrim

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 11:29:46 »
Well.... I think some of those keys looks like Pn and Fn ones. I think chances they will be programmable are looking good.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 11:45:46 »
Isn't sprit planning on making a version of his pcb compatible with alps?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:16:54 »

Sorry if this was answered already, but yes it should be available in August.

They might actually make some with Clicky switches also.  If anyone would like to see it come with Matias Clicky switches also I would speak up.

They might be reading this thread ;)
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline mougrim

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 03:15:32 »

Sorry if this was answered already, but yes it should be available in August.

They might actually make some with Clicky switches also.  If anyone would like to see it come with Matias Clicky switches also I would speak up.

They might be reading this thread ;)

I'm all into clicky switches, so I definitely want to see a clicky variant. Besides, I'm not the only one ;)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 03:29:21 »
Isn't sprit planning on making a version of his pcb compatible with alps?

So I've heard.  I made an MX/Alps module for the GH60, but don't know how to swap out the MX only modules and no one is willing to help me with it or we'd have an open source one already.