Author Topic: Hello Everybody!  (Read 875 times)

Offline Raddam

Hello Everybody!
« on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 10:37:40 »
I just wanted to say hello! I have been on these forums a lot recently looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard. All of you have helped me tremendously on getting a good feel on what i want. Right now I'm looking at 3 different brands to buy. A WASD TKL, a Filco magestouch 2, or a Ducky Shine 3 TKL. I'm so torn between the three because i heard so many good things about all of them and I just don't know which one to buy. I'm also not sure if I want to get the MX reds or browns. If you all could help me out I would really appreciate it! Thank you again for everything!

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
Re: Hello Everybody!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 18:50:08 »
Welcome to GH Raddam,

I have a WASD v2 with browns and it is a very nice board. One thing I learned is that the keycaps are important. The WASD keycaps are pretty light and thin. I know that some of the ducky boards carry PBT which is harder, lasts longer, and possibly sounds and feels better (it's subjective). It's just something to consider that I didn't think about when I purchased my first board.

Good luck. Whatever you do end up purchasing I am sure you will enjoy.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 18:53:40 »
buy whichever one is the cheapest, the quality on all are good enough

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 18:56:54 »
Welcome! If you're wanting the WASD keyboard, there are still some available here: https://www.massdrop.com/bazaar/buy/tenkeyless-code-keyboard

Regarding the caps, if you're going to replace them, then sure PBT has those characteristics, but I don't believe there have been any PBT caps which allow the backlighting to shine through (aside from the new Deck keyboards), so if that's something you want, you may have to stick with the stock caps or another set that allows light to shine through (maybe Ducky ABS sets can be found on mechanicalkeyboards.com or there was the orange polycarb on white set that was ran here not too long ago). If no need for that, then the world is yours.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 18:58:28 »
If you're torn on what switches you want, then you should look into a switch tester. There are a number of them around. If you can't find one, I can try to help (it's Sunday, so I'm kind of lazy, else I'd just do it right now...).

Personally, for MX, I enjoy clicky switches the most. And coincidentally, the WASD TKL on MD happens to have Greens!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 14:18:35 »
Hello Donald
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace